Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Skillet

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 93 total)
  • Author
    derm
    derm
    Participant

Bear wrote >>
    Oh, btw… I asked how they were planning to carry the seasonal-cooking thing through the winter. They had some creative answers: old farmers’ tricks like keeping beets in the ground with hay over the top (?!? — news to me), potatoes from cold storage, that sort of thing. But the answer that amused me most was that they considered the pig to be a major winter ingredient.

It is. All meat is. Eat your veggies in the spring, summer and fall and meat in the winter. That is how it was always done. My hog from Springhill(grass fed Heritage Tamworth- boo yah!) goes to slaughter tomorrow and that is what I will eat all winter mixed with the vegetables I froze and canned. Wont have hardly any salad until the overwintered spinach and arugula is ready in march.

joev
    Participant

Bear wrote >> I would definitely say they’re not afraid of fat there, to a degree that I found daring. Not complaining, mind you. Others may find it alarming, or perhaps, glorious.

Wow – you weren’t kidding! I’m not sure if it’s because we’ve been eating mostly vegetarian for the last month, but the amount of animal fat here really knocked my socks off! Glad I got my cholesterol checked last week. On value for price and friendliness, Skillet blows Brown Bag out of the water.
    That said, this place is amazing. Friendly, quick, delicious, you can see the ethics in the food. Great addition to my neighborhood! We had the porchetta sandwich, the short rib sandwich and the roasted potatoes with burnt ends. The short rib was the standout by far, and I’m not even a fan of short ribs. Perfect amount of spice, not too greasy, great bread, and the sour cream-horseradish accompaniment was perfect. I wasn’t as impressed with the porchetta, though it was still very good. I could have done with half the meat, with the fat trimmed off (though the dog loved that!) and some veggies for a little bit of crisp texture. The potatoes were very good as well, but the burnt ends aren’t my thing. I’ll try the pumpkin soup next time for sure – it looked really good! Can’t wait to see a spring menu with some lighter choices. I know they’ll do it well.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Checked this out yesterday for breakfast, got the beef tenderloin with goat cheese grits. The grits were phenomenal, I would like them as a shake with a big straw. (That good.) My SO had a chorizo burger which was really nice, great bun. We also split a sausage that was to die for.

$30 for two for a big breakfast is a little iffy, but if you don’t think about it being a “breakfast” and consider the strong portion and plenty for leftovers, then I’d say it’s a fair enough deal and I can see going once in a while.

B-

JedThorp

Their food is AWESOME…perhaps best brunch I’ve had in Columbus. A little pricey…but worth what you get. My only complaint is that there’s almost NO seating, and it can get stressful finding a place to wait for a seat where it doesn’t feel like you’re standing right next to someone’s table staring at them to leave. Yummy though!

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Snarf wrote >>
    Checked this out yesterday for breakfast, got the beef tenderloin with goat cheese grits. The grits were phenomenal, I would like them as a shake with a big straw. (That good.) My SO had a chorizo burger which was really nice, great bun. We also split a sausage that was to die for.
    $30 for two for a big breakfast is a little iffy, but if you don’t think about it being a “breakfast” and consider the strong portion and plenty for leftovers, then I’d say it’s a fair enough deal and I can see going once in a while.

I can barely eat their usual breakfasts much less start ordering extra.

JedThorp wrote >>
    Their food is AWESOME…perhaps best brunch I’ve had in Columbus. A little pricey…but worth what you get. My only complaint is that there’s almost NO seating, and it can get stressful finding a place to wait for a seat where it doesn’t feel like you’re standing right next to someone’s table staring at them to leave.

Go early (before 9am) or late (after 1pm) and there’s plenty of room on weekends. I’ve never had to wait weekdays.

alison

I echo what everyone’s said about the great food — except the breakfastt risotto. Maybe as a side, in a much smaller size, but it was way too sweet for me. And had at least one element too many, so it all became a sweet mush. and usually I like sweet mush….

I like the way it is table-cloth caliber food in a diner/take-away setting — makes you feel like it’s an ephemeral place you’ve got to visit as often as you can before they upscale or move on.

jarsloth
    jarsloth
    Participant

JedThorp wrote >>
    Their food is AWESOME…perhaps best brunch I’ve had in Columbus. A little pricey…but worth what you get. My only complaint is that there’s almost NO seating, and it can get stressful finding a place to wait for a seat where it doesn’t feel like you’re standing right next to someone’s table staring at them to leave. Yummy though!

We go there quite a bit for lunch during the week and I always coerce my co-workers to take an early lunch. We get there about 1115 -1130 and are able to eat and leave before much of a crowd gets there, which to me is worth it to be able to enjoy their awesome food w/o feeling cramped or rushed.

bmshellb5

Their short rib and fingerling potato hash with egg that they are serving right now is delicious. I love this place.

Bear
    Participant

Had a lunch sandwich there not long ago… succulent meat patty, fresh greens, fried egg on top, absolutely delicious. And the great thing is, I think that actually describes all of their lunch sandwiches….

patient_zero
    Participant

Boo to Skillet today. They closed at 12:00 this Sunday instead of the 2:00 traditional, but still way too early closing time. As Earth Day sponsors, they seemed a logical brunch stop for hungry and river smelly volunteers in need of outdoor seating.
    If I remembered a change of cloths I would have hit up Banana Bean – it was close to the Dam and they were open.

DavidF
    Participant

So I finally made it to Skillet last week. Wow! Talk about knock your socks off good food!

I had the fried green tomato sandwich, the chilled tomato, fennel and blood orange soup, and scallops served over cheddar grits and etouffee.

Simply put, there was no part, parcel, or ingredient in any of these dishes that was less then amazing.

If you haven’t been, get there. Now!

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

Glad you made it David, that place truly is amazing.
    We were there for Brunch on Saturday and right back the next day for breakfast. I always try to get something different everytime and they have yet to disappoint. I plan on eating my way thru the entire menu.
    I could eat there every day.

TaraK
    Participant

Skillet Fudha is awesome! $10 for $20!

Also, I just found out their open for dinner — and they’re a grand minute-and-a-half walk from me. And the prices look totally on point.

I think Skillet really gets a lot of things right.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Via Facebook:

We know getting to our “brick & morter” during the week for lunch may not be possible for some, so, we’ve expanded our hours..Lunch 11a-3pm & Dinner 5pm – 9pm Tuesday thru Friday..Saturday Brunch 8am – 2pm & Dinner 5pm – 9pm..Sunday Brunch 8am – 2pm… beginning Thursday, July 15th

jarsloth
    jarsloth
    Participant

They just added this:

Wait a minute….. got ahead of myself… not ready for Saturday PM hours yet….yikes! Ok, let’s review… Tuesday – Friday 11am to 3pm & 5pm to 9pm… Saturday & Sunday 8am – 2pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 93 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: