Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Skillet

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 93 total)
  • Author

Bear
    Participant

So, I’m sort of torn.

I don’t write too many reviews, and usually when I do it’s because I feel that there’s a need to call attention to a place. And clearly, having visited Skillet on its first Saturday (during an OSU game, admittedly, but that’s no excuse) and not found a line out the door, there’s a need to call attention to it, because it’s not getting the attention it deserves.

On the other hand, if I play any role in lengthening the inevitable line out the door, then that will mean that I’ll have to wait longer for my food. My perfectly roasted French fingerling potatoes with burnt ends and a hint of rosemary. (Take a vegetarian side dish and add pork… kinda my style, I have to admit.) My mouthwatering Porchetta sandwich, with garlic, roasted pork and skin, herbs, and, a twist, wild fennel pollen. And having to wait for that food—that would be a very bad outcome indeed.

So, although I’m reluctant to admit it, because most of you eager get-up-and-go types get up earlier than I do… it’s good. It’s very good. And the price is reasonable, too: my sandwich cost $7, the potatoes $4, a bowl of black-eyed pea minestrone (also very tasty and quite hearty on a fall day) $4.

Check it out. Just… not all at once, okay?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Nice review! I still need to make it down there. ;)

A couple of other folks have shared their thoughts here as well: https://www.columbusunderground.com/skillet-opens-today-in-old-banana-bean-location

TaraK
    Participant

Their brunch menu (Saturday & Sunday ’til 2:00) looks pretty amazing. Must try in the coming weekends.

KSquared

Bear, I agree. We had a great experience there, and plan to eat there a lot this month because I am also quite sure there will be a line out the door quite soon. I posted a short review on the other thread.

Bear
    Participant

Thanks, and yes, and glad to hear it, respectively. (I would have followed up your review, K^2, but I figured it deserved a discussion item in the messageboard too.)

They had a copy of the German Village Gazette lying around, and on the front page it spelled out the restaurant’s philosophy a lot more clearly than I just did, actually:

Kevin Caskey, the restaurant’s chef, describes the restaurant’s offerings as “rustic urban food.”

“We’re going to be very ingredient-driven,” he said. “(It’s a) growing trend nationwide, and not only in the Midwest.”

Not only is Skillet’s menu seasonal, Caskey said, it will often change from week to week based on what ingredients are available from local sources.

A good example: Today I overheard one of my companions mention that the grape jam had been made from Concord grapes bought, seeded, and turned into jam within, I think, the last day. I quickly scanned the table only to see a handful of very empty jam cups. Apparently making the jam was worth the effort.

KSquared

Please let me know if anyone has tried the breakfast risotto. I’m intrigued.

DavidF
    Participant

This is definitely my next brunch stop.

KSquared wrote >>
    Please let me know if anyone has tried the breakfast risotto. I’m intrigued.

Caramelized pears and maple syrup over risotto. Pretty amazing if you like sweet breakfasts.

I’m sorely tempted to stop by again tomorrow…

TaraK
    Participant

We stopped in this morning. A steady stream of customers, no big crowd. Small location — seats about 20. I almost ordered the risotto but went with the traditional breakfast.

My sausage was awesome. I love good sausage but I’m very picky about what I consider good. At the very least, it has to be homemade with whole seasonings. The sausage at Skillet was definitely it. The rest of my meal was delicious overall, especially those fingerling potatoes Bear raved about. Overall, though, I probably would try something different from the plate I ordered. It was all tasty, but also greasier than I ever like, especially in the morning.

FYI — BRING CASH. They weren’t taking cards when we stopped in this morning.

tourist19
    Participant

I also stopped in this afternoon because of the glowing write ups. They did not disappoint! The fingerling potatoes were out of this world, seriously I could eat them every day for the rest of my life. I also got the porchetta sandwich which was HUGE and quite delicious. I chatted for a while with Patrick (the son part of the father son team) and he said they plan on opening for dinner hours soonish as well. They’re still trying to figure out the right hours for the location. Also some kind of liquor license is on the way. Regarding the cash only, he said Nationwide is dragging their feet on getting them set up to take cards, but that should happen soon. I had to go get cash, but they cooked my food while I ran down to Giant Eagle and got some money and had my lunch ready when I got back. All in all an excellent place I will be returning :-)

Bear
    Participant

Ooo right, I forgot about the cash thing, sorry. I also neglected to mention that the coffee — at least, the coffee I had, which might have been sitting there for a while — was really not good, weak and overextracted, way out of whack with the rest of the experience. But it was the only complaint I had in a delicious experience that I fully intend to repeat often.

re greasiness in breakfast — I would definitely say they’re not afraid of fat there, to a degree that I found daring. Not complaining, mind you. Others may find it alarming, or perhaps, glorious. They’re a small enough operation that they might be able to scale it back to order, I don’t know.

Glad to hear that others are enjoying it as much as we did.

Bear
    Participant

Oh, btw… I asked how they were planning to carry the seasonal-cooking thing through the winter. They had some creative answers: old farmers’ tricks like keeping beets in the ground with hay over the top (?!? — news to me), potatoes from cold storage, that sort of thing. But the answer that amused me most was that they considered the pig to be a major winter ingredient.

10sun

The fingerlings + burnt ends were fantastic. If it weren’t so rich, I’d just get two orders of that next time.

The porchetta sandwich will end up being their signature dish and a regular order item.

I also stole some of Stacy’s griddled cheese & pumpkin/blackbean pepitas. Both of which were exquisite.

Problem for me:
    The porchetta could have been a little less wet; by the time I got my sandwich, the ciabatta was soggy and fell apart. If I had gotten it to go I would have been pissed off; I was just left with a plate of grease sodden bread that fell apart when I tried to take a bite.

I’ll be back and I’ll want the porchetta again, but I’ll try other dishes as well.

TaraK
    Participant

Bear wrote >>
    Oh, btw… I asked how they were planning to carry the seasonal-cooking thing through the winter. They had some creative answers: old farmers’ tricks like keeping beets in the ground with hay over the top (?!? — news to me), potatoes from cold storage, that sort of thing. But the answer that amused me most was that they considered the pig to be a major winter ingredient.

Hah! My grandfather would agree.

tourist19
    Participant

10sun wrote >>
    The fingerlings + burnt ends were fantastic. If it weren’t so rich, I’d just get two orders of that next time.
    The porchetta sandwich will end up being their signature dish and a regular order item.
    I also stole some of Stacy’s griddled cheese & pumpkin/blackbean pepitas. Both of which were exquisite.
    Problem for me:
    The porchetta could have been a little less wet; by the time I got my sandwich, the ciabatta was soggy and fell apart. If I had gotten it to go I would have been pissed off; I was just left with a plate of grease sodden bread that fell apart when I tried to take a bite.
    I’ll be back and I’ll want the porchetta again, but I’ll try other dishes as well.

I flipped mine upside down so the top part of the bread that wasn’t soaked was on the bottom. Worked quite nicely.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 93 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: