Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Chain Restaurants with Food Trucks

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Chain Restaurants with Food Trucks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
  • Author

Talcott

gramarye wrote >>
    When you say Kraft Mac & Cheese, true. There are other chains, however, that might well succeed very well in the food cart space. Some might already be there and I don’t even know it. Starbucks, Chipotle, Panera, Tim Horton’s, Mark Pi’s (or any other quick Chinese take-away chain), and many others could very well be viable competitors.
    I can virtually guarantee you that if Taco Bell drives a truck around East Campus between midnight and 2 a.m. on most fall weekends, it will come back empty of food and full of more cash than a Brinks truck.
    Also, if you think a big business never ever successfully imitated a good idea from a small business, your knowledge of American economic history may have a gap or two. :-P

Oh, I have no doubt that a big fast food chain could clean up with a food truck (as I mentioned at the top of this page, I’m sure I’d go to a White Castle cart), I just don’t see Kraft doing it. I’m still not sure how much they’d be in competition though, in the same way that the McRib and Ray Ray’s aren’t competing.

And I’m well aware of the proud tradition of imitating ideas from small businesses. I’ve just never heard of the big business calling to ask for permission/advice first ;-)

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

I like Kraft mac and cheese.

More food trucks the better. Chain restaurant/brand or not, I don’t care.

food truck snobbery is funny.

Talcott

vestanpance wrote >>

I’m curious about which definition of snobbery includes the phrase “White Castle food truck.” ;-)

joev
    Participant

I can’t imagine Kraft is looking to come into the market and compete for profit. I could see a Kraft Food cart working as a promotional tool, offering free/donation tastes/meals. I think it’s a brilliant way to improve on sampling in grocery stores.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Talcott wrote >>

vestanpance wrote >>

I’m curious about which definition of snobbery includes the phrase “White Castle food truck.” ;-)

hah! Good point.

although I can’t stand white castle and would rather a wendys truck.

gramarye
    Participant

vestanpance wrote >>

Talcott wrote >>

vestanpance wrote >>

hah! Good point.

Snob.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

gramarye wrote >>

vestanpance wrote >>

Talcott wrote >>

vestanpance wrote >>

hah! Good point.

Snob.

I lobbed that up… glad someone spiked it.

guess my snob comment was more my saying there is room in the food truck scene for corporate restaurants also.

They don’t all have to be indie. We can choose which ones we go to.

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

Fair fries truck year round would rule! Extra vinegar please.

MattC

lizless wrote >>
    A White Castle cart would be pretty cute!
    Dirty Frank’s is debuting a cart soon. Look for us at a festival near you in 2011.

I was in Dirty Frank’s about a week ago and asked the bartender if there was or were plans for a food truck or cart and he had no idea (although he did laugh and ask if I meant a roach coach). So how much longer do we have to wait?

I just got back from NAFEM and was hoping to see some food truck equipment, but I guess it’s still too “underground” despite the rumors. I’d be interested to hear anything about getting it set up as I find the rising industry fascinating.

News
    Participant

White Castle Slides Into Food-Truck Trend
    By Venessa Wong
    June 12, 2013

White Castle is getting ready to serve its square-shaped sliders on wheels with the planned launch later this month of two food trucks in Louisville, Ky., and Columbus, Ohio, where the company is based. The so-called CraveMobiles will be available only for events at first—that includes weddings, in case either Harold or Kumar are planning to tie the knot—while company officials determine exactly where the trucks will be stationed, says Jamie Richardson, a White Castle vice president. Once regular locations are mapped out, the trucks will likely stay open 24 hours, just like almost all of White Castle’s brick-and-mortar stores. Richardson says the food-truck menu, although not yet finalized, will include three variations on the chain’s signature sliders and might see items not available in stores, such as salty caramel fries.

READ MORE: http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-06-12/white-castle-slides-into-food-truck-trend

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Seriously, both the White Castle and Piada Food Trucks are great ideas and should do well. I see the WC truck as more of a street meat type thing, bring it out late at the bars, should kill. Piada could do well all the time though, just about anywhere (and I don’t particularly care for the food, but know a LOT of people who love it).

Got to see the inside of the Explorer Club truck a couple weeks back, it was incredibly impressive. I have to think there are full service restaurants out there who’d be envious of some of the gear.

BTW, salty caramel fries sound fucking awful.

Ajumama
    Participant

The White Castle truck is currently ineligible for the current Food Truck pilot program as it is waaayy over 25 feet. We saw it the other day when we were over at Reed Arts and dang is it
    BIG!

Graybeak
    Participant

Ajumama said:
    The White Castle truck is currently ineligible for the current Food Truck pilot program as it is waaayy over 25 feet. We saw it the other day when we were over at Reed Arts and dang is it
    BIG!

That’s what she..

Anyway, I didn’t see any mention of the Giant Eagle Market District truck in the thread above, but I think that would fall into this category. Not as a chain restaurant, I suppose, but definitely corporate…

Ajumama
    Participant

Graybeak said:
    That’s what she..

Anyway, I didn’t see any mention of the Giant Eagle Market District truck in the thread above, but I think that would fall into this category. Not as a chain restaurant, I suppose, but definitely corporate…

That is what I said ;)

Anonymous
    Inactive

When I saw Laura participating in this thread I hoped it meant that she was opening a chain of restaurants.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

KEEP LOCAL JOURNALISM HEALTHY.

Local journalism is more important than ever. Please take a moment to read a bit about our mission and consider financially supporting our cause.

CLICK HERE