Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Sim Downtown Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Sim Downtown Columbus

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

In thinking about the Day Companies’ newest proposal for the Madison and its adjacent buildings, I thought–in an entirely guilt-free exercise–it would be fun to toss about a wish list for improvements/changes to our downtown, aside from the transportation piece, which we generally tend to touch on a few times a month. Some are somewhat realistic, some are not at all. But whatever, this is just for fun.

1) Rebuilding the Holiday Inn bounded by Town and 4th. Entirely set back from the street, surrounded by surface parking and a fence, this hotel is just one block over from the thriving 16-bit block of 4th street, and the growing retail presence on Main Street. But this hotel has nominal interaction with the street, and contributes to a lull on 4th Street where there could be the opposite.

2) Developing the surface lots along Broad Street across from the Statehouse, as well as the surface lot just north of Broad and High adjacent to One Columbus. We know the surface lots and soon to be vacant Dispatch building are (slowly) going to be developed by the Wolfe family, but there are no indications as to what the existing surface lots along Broad might be used for. As ever, this is prime real estate that could help breathe life into the heart of downtown.

3) Installing a signature art piece at Nationwide and High so there’s more than just a plot of grass at that marquee intersection.

4) Renovating Sensenbrenner Park and Dorrians Park to better interact with the street and not be as “hidden” from view.

5) Unrealistic and impractical: I wish COSI had never left the right bank of the Scioto, and would move back to Downtown proper. I mostly suggest this because the extraordinary location of the old Central High School is largely not utilized by COSI or its visitors, and because COSI doesn’t contribute to any life on that bank of the Scioto after closing time. Again, it’ll never happen, but how striking might it have been if the Central High facade was instead the front door to, say, a multipurpose stadium, which opened up into our skyline?

6) A lot of Columbus’ older buildings have very clear “front” doors and have no other interaction with abutting streets accordingly. Consider, for example, the AT&T building and the Athenaeum, each of which contributes to “dead blocks”…just as long stretches of the Convention Center does along High Street. Opening up such buildings would be costly and perhaps impossible, but would contribute to more energized streets across downtown.

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

…1) Rebuilding the Holiday Inn bounded by Town and 4th. Entirely set back from the street, surrounded by surface parking and a fence, this hotel is just one block over from the thriving 16-bit block of 4th street, and the growing retail presence on Main Street. But this hotel has nominal interaction with the street, and contributes to a lull on 4th Street where there could be the opposite.

I remember reading someplace in the past couple months that the original pre-recession plans approved for exterior improvements were finally moving forward soon. None really addressed the street presence but did add some vibrancy through more engaging signage on the bleak western wall.

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>MichaelC wrote:</div>
    …1) Rebuilding the Holiday Inn bounded by Town and 4th. Entirely set back from the street, surrounded by surface parking and a fence, this hotel is just one block over from the thriving 16-bit block of 4th street, and the growing retail presence on Main Street. But this hotel has nominal interaction with the street, and contributes to a lull on 4th Street where there could be the opposite.

I remember reading someplace in the past couple months that the original pre-recession plans approved for exterior improvements were finally moving forward soon. None really addressed the street presence but did add some vibrancy through more engaging signage on the bleak western wall.

The downtown commission minutes from sometime this summer listed those improvements,but I haven’t seen a rendering or anything.

WJT
    Participant

Demolish the old Dispatch building so a signature landmark tower can be built directly opposite from the Huntington building and centered on the Statehouse like that building is(this is just wishful thinking right?).
    Have that building thinner and notched at the ends and taller at the center(the opposite of the Huntington which is wider and taller at the sides).

I agree with the piece of art at Nationwide and High. What a wasted little triangle of grass that is.

Relocate the Greyhound bus station and add dense residential and retail to help support those 4th street businesses along with an enlarged and more street friendly Holiday Inn.

‘Fill in’ the nodes along High street where varied street level activity is possible (Broad up to Spring, State down to Main or Mound, the area around the North Market(including doing something about the soul killing facade of the Convention Center) so that there would be no more than 1/4 of a mile walk from one node to another along High from German Village to the Short North.
    *a node is a street level experience that may include shops, restaurants, etc at street level close to the pedestrian experience as opposed to, say, the walk-right-on-byness of the stretch of High along the Nationwide complex.
    ———————————————————————————————————–
    *example:

person A(currently at a new restaurant in the north building of Highpoint):

Hey, let’s walk up to that new shop at Lynn and High where the parking lot used to be…it’s nice out and it’s only a couple of blocks.

Person B: ok that sounds great…but why not take the new streetcar?(yeah, wishful thinking)

Person A: But it is only a couple of blocks and it is nice out, why not walk?

Person B: You’re right..let’s go. After that we can take the streetcar on up to the Short North.
    ———————————————————————————————————–

Once the new parkland along the Scioto river is established, add some destinations nearby/alongside the parkland so people using the parkland will actually have small destinations along the way..anything from artwork/sculpture to a fountain with some seating or a small retail establishment..a food truck..anything to break up the monotony of grass, trails, and trees.
    Why does the riverbank all have to be little ledges ending in or covered with plants? Why not a few rocky areas, a few promontories, etc? Provide more interest as long as it can stand periodic flooding and does not impede the river flow in a significant way. I don’t want it to be too ‘natural’-it is running through the downtown of the city-one of the most unnatural environments possible. Have some fun with it.

More street trees, water gardens, stricter regulations in the design of parking garages, much stricter guidelines for surface parking that would de-incentivize it in favor of garages or development. More dedicated bike lanes and ‘road diets’ where appropriate.

The city should buy a parcel(maybe a quarter block or so) north of Neighborhood Launch and make it a small neighborhood park to serve as a catalyst to pull new development north into the old warehouse district

Do something about the Northwest side of the AEP building..glass..signage…anything so that side does not look like a 32 story flat ass with a crack down the middle. ugh.

Build a new 900-1000 room full service Convention Center Hotel on the slot north of Goodale between the Cap and the new garage. Build a new Garage on the space the Convention Center already owns south of Goodale on the other side of Third, connect it to the other garage or the Convention center itself if needed by a walkway. It could also eventually be connected in to whatever ends up being built on the long lot to the south between Third and Fourth( a transit center possibly?). Or it could serve a new building/hotel/whatever on the property directly to the north on Goodale.

Will think of more later! :)

Mike88
    Participant

-2-3 Beer Gardens scattered along the new river front park. A small stall with seating and trees would be amazing.
    -More off High street retail and commercial development that adds “width” to our long and skinny city.
    -Lots more PROTECTED Bike lanes
    -Rename some of the districts so they reflect history and not a 1990’s ad campaign (Discovery District? UGH!)
    -The Arches running the length of high and for stretches down other key streets
    -A simple and easy street car system
    -New Crew Stadium right behind where COSI is in East Franklinton (just because this is a fantasy and that’s what I want)
    -Another Skyscraper or two would be cool
    -Count me down for the need for a signature piece of artwork for that corner of High and Nationwide. Maybe a Civil War Monument given it’s near the Jackets schedule and our state played a very influential role in the war.

+++Side note+++
    We are the state capital. Why don’t we have more monuments to the achievements our state has made scattered around our downtown?? We should have an Aviators Memorial (Mock, Rickenbacker, Wrights) Astronauts (Neil A. Armstrong, Charles A. Bassett II, Kenneth D. Cameron, Nancy J. Currie, Donn F. Eisele, Michael J. Foreman, Michael L. Gernhardt, John H. Glenn Jr., Michael T. Good, Gregory J. Harbaugh, Karl G. Henize, Thomas J. Hennen,
    Terence T. Henricks, James A. Lovell Jr., G. David Low, Robert F. Overmyer, Ronald A. Parise, Judith A. Resnik, Ronald M. Sega, Robert C. Springer, Donald A. Thomas, Carl E. Walz, Mary E. Weber, Sunita L. Williams), No big tributes to other famous ohioans? More of that please.

WJT
    Participant

+++Side note+++<br>
    We are the state capital. Why don’t we have more monuments to the achievements our state has made scattered around our downtown?? We should have an Aviators Memorial (Mock, Rickenbacker, Wrights) Astronauts (Neil A. Armstrong, Charles A. Bassett II, Kenneth D. Cameron, Nancy J. Currie, Donn F. Eisele, Michael J. Foreman, Michael L. Gernhardt, John H. Glenn Jr., Michael T. Good, Gregory J. Harbaugh, Karl G. Henize, Thomas J. Hennen,<br>
    Terence T. Henricks, James A. Lovell Jr., G. David Low, Robert F. Overmyer, Ronald A. Parise, Judith A. Resnik, Ronald M. Sega, Robert C. Springer, Donald A. Thomas, Carl E. Walz, Mary E. Weber, Sunita L. Williams), No big tributes to other famous ohioans? More of that please.

What about that triangle of land south of COSI? If not a zoo extension, then why not an Aviators Memorial? COSI, The Vet’s Memorial, and this could all use an underground parking garage beneath the current COSI lots, which would also provide a long green swath or parkland that would connect the three as well(and the improvements along the river and the new park atop the underground parking garage (Scioto Commmons maybe?) might kickstart some residential and commercial development along the west side of Belle.

Of course it should have some unique and interesting architecture given the prominent location and to match the nice architecture of the new Vet’s. Maybe someone could coax another 25 million out of Wexner and it could be named after him lol.

That triangle of land needs something!

Wexner Ohio Aviation Memorial?
    Wexner Aquarium?
    Wexner Fashion and Design Center/Museum?

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

I’ve got dibs on that triangle of land. That’s where my 30 story glass tower is going. It’ll be somewhat triangular with 2 flat sides and the third facing the city will be curved. You can see the entire downtown from that angle. I’m throwing in a restaurant and bar on the top floor. And I’ll just connect to the underground parking the city has proposed be built under the current COSI lot.

I’m thinking mixed use, but the mix depends on the market conditions when I hit mega millions.

WJT
    Participant

I’ve got dibs on that triangle of land. That’s where my 30 story glass tower is going. It’ll be somewhat triangular with 2 flat sides and the third facing the city will be curved. You can see the entire downtown from that angle. I’m throwing in a restaurant and bar on the top floor. And I’ll just connect to the underground parking the city has proposed be built under the current COSI lot.

I’m thinking mixed use, but the mix depends on the market conditions when I hit mega millions.

well if we are talking coming into millions of dollars…well then..lol

Actually, after some billionaire dies and leaves me all of his money, I was wanting to build something similar, but on that smaller triangle of land to the south bounded by Main/Rich, the tracks, and the river. Sure it would mean relocating part of the floodwall and all, but with unGodly amounts of money, that would be no problem. it would be on a parking pedestal and would have a flat(but not all barren concrete like Miranova) west and south side, but a curving, bowing out front that would be similar to your design and facing downtown. I would build up the bank along the southeastern river side of the pedestal(all glass and expensive granite of course) so that there would be two different riverwalks, one built up higher and the other lower along the river, and separated enough that an artificial waterfall would course down a short steep rocky stream and into the Scioto. Such a feature would require an elevated platform for viewing, fishing, etc. and of course a pedestrian bridge that would arch across to a built up small rocky island(in front of where those shallows and trees are by the railroad bridge) which would also be landscaped and have a viewing deck.
    The bridge would swing around from this island to the other side of the river, where it would tie into the new park on the other side(in that grassy area west of Miranova between it and the tracks, and south of the river) which I of course would have bought with some of my millions, and anchoring the southern end of the river parkland downtown. the residential units themselves would be high enough to not be bothered by the railroad, and of course there would be an amenity deck with one of those infinity pools and a restaurant(open to the public as well) and this tower would be at least 500 feet tall as we need another 500 plus footer to continue to stay ahead of Cincy and Cleveland in that department and continue to piss them off.

But who could afford to live there? Well the executives from the newly relocated fortune 500 company that moved to Cbus and built a 1000 plus(lets say an even 330 meters to the architectural tip) signature corporate tower where the old Dispatch building is, a building that would define the skyline, be iconic as the Transamerica Pyramid, Leed Platinum, and of course be the envy of our rival peer cities.

This is an entirely guilt free wish list thing as the OP said, right? :)

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

WJT
    Participant

well it was all just fantasy stuff anyway(unfortunately probably true since this is Cbus after all. :( )

At least it wasn’t a ‘you talkin’ to me?…you talkin to me…cause I’m the only one here…’ GIF

Mike88
    Participant

Wexner Ohio Aviation Memorial?<br>
    Wexner Aquarium?<br>

Wexner-Schottenstien Ohio Aviation Aquarium and fashion center

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>WJT wrote:</div>

Wexner Ohio Aviation Memorial?<br><br>
    Wexner Aquarium?<br><br>

Wexner-Schottenstien Ohio Aviation Aquarium and fashion center

Scuba diving models wearing aviators? I’d watch that.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: