Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Sidewalks for third ave?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat Sidewalks for third ave?

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author

futureman
    Participant

FYI – http://www.thisweeknews.com/content/stories/grandview/news/2015/09/08/columbus-has-upgrade-in-mind-for-third-avenue-railroad-bridge.html

The first attempt in 2014 to secure grant funding for $8.6 million project failed. The second attempt for $5 million grant from the Ohio Public Works Commission was submitted in September and decision should be made in December. *crossing fingers*

hometown
    Participant

Thanks for the link. Fingers have been crossed for some time. In February of 2014, Patricia Austin of the Division of Planning and Operations wrote me a letter promising “overhead signs on the traffic signal mast arms for all four directions warning turning traffic to yield to pedestrians.” Although a complete re-working of the bridge is much anticipated, even this modest fix never appeared.

placebohigh
    Participant

I have also witnessed quite a few people walking directly into traffic due to no sidewalks connecting Harrison West to Grandview Yard. This would be great to connect the residents of Victorian Village/Harrison West.

hometown
    Participant

I found this quote from Richard Ortman, an engineer with the City of Columbus who spoke at a meeting of the Harrison West Society in September of 2014:

“The City of Columbus does not recommend that pedestrians walk in the 3rd Avenue roadway and to avoid walking through the construction zone along 3rd Avenue during the two-phase construction. Phase two of the project will make this segment of 3rd Avenue safer for pedestrians after its completion. In the interim, we ask residents to utilize other means of transportation to and from the new Giant Eagle if they are able to until the project is completed.”

Mr. Ortman seems to be saying that the area beneath the bridge is only safe for cars. This is a good risk management move for the City but useless for the rest of us.

RedStorm
    Participant

I have also witnessed quite a few people walking directly into traffic due to no sidewalks connecting Harrison West to Grandview Yard. This would be great to connect the residents of Victorian Village/Harrison West.

And vice versa.

Nancy H
    Participant

According to the City’s website “An estimated 50% to 60% of the City does not contain curbs and/or sidewalks. Some of these areas are older, built when sidewalks were not standard practice as it is today. Many sidewalk gaps exist within sections of the City that were originally townships, later annexed into the City of Columbus.”

Perhaps the City should give the property owners in these sidewalk-less areas a deadline to add them. Then, if that doesn’t happen, the City could install them and charge the property owner by adding the cost to their property tax bill.

sruckus
    Participant

I thought they were going to be adding them or was that just for the railroad bridge?

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

<derail> While we’re at it, can we get a left turn light from Northwest Blvd on to 3rd. With increased traffic in the area that intersection backs up nightly. </derail>

futureman
    Participant

This is what is being proposed:

and zoomed in

honestlyinsincere
    Participant

Thanks for posting! I may be missing it, but is there a bike lane or off-road multi-use path?

Also, what’s with the separated intersection with curved ramps to enter Rail Street? As a pedestrian I feel this is auto-centric design that encourage drivers to go faster when taking the turn. Why can’t an intersection just be an intersection? Nearly 90 degree turns force cars to slow down when turning and be more aware of pedestrians.

futureman
    Participant

Yes, the south side of the road will have a shared use path and the north side will have a normal sidewalk.

hometown
    Participant

I’m all for this. It just doesn’t help anybody right now. Huge apartment complexes have been built on both sides of the river, filled with thousands of young people, many of whom prefer to walk, run and ride their bikes through the area. This market supports bars, restaurants, night clubs and brew pubs, all destinations to which many people prefer to get to in the same way. The biggest attractant, the Giant Eagle Market District, appeared over a year ago. A new railroad bridge may or may not appear but, in the meantime, are there really no temporary measures available? Grandview Yard markets itself as “suburban living with urban style.” The suburban part is obvious, but where’s the urban?

hometown
    Participant

Hmmmmmm.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: