Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Sidewalks coming to W. 3rd Ave in 5xNW

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Sidewalks coming to W. 3rd Ave in 5xNW

This topic contains 10 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by King Gambrinus King Gambrinus 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Per Councilman Stinziano’s FB post:

You’ve asked for sidewalks… they’re coming: sidewalks on the north side and a shared use pedestrian-bike path planned for the southside, street lights, landscaping and 95 trees planted in the area. Construction to begin in July.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

so…. about that rail bridge..

futureman
    Participant

I would assume the widening would be starting as well. There is no room for a sidewalk and a shared use path under the existing bridge.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

I would assume the widening would be starting as well. There is no room for a sidewalk and a shared use path under the existing bridge.

That’s no small job, and with the opening of Nationwide soon 3rd ave might be the new sawmill road traffic nightmare. Which sucks because I drive up and down it at least twice a day.

oh well.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Yeah nobody wants to touch that bridge apparently. But it’s going to need widening once everything is finished.

ricospaz
    Participant

Yay more construction!

RedStorm
    Participant

^How else are you going to fit in a sidewalk that currently doesn’t exist?

futureman
    Participant

Yeah, it’s going to be pretty bad. This is major project and I think it would take a long time. It’s very much needed and look forward to it being completed. The last time 3rd ave closed it caused a lot of backups on 5th Ave and King … and that was before Giant Eagle opened.

At least the Northwest Blvd rebuild/reconfigure project should be wrapping up in August from everything I’ve heard. Right now it’s in pretty rough shape.

ohbr
    Participant

Perfect timing. Nationwide moves its first several hundred employees in Monday and is phasing in a couple thousand more over the next 6-8 months… Needs to be done, wish it had started 6 months ago.

Pablo
    Participant

Sidewalks can be placed beneath the bridge on the embankment side of the bridge piers. Small retaining walls need to be built to hold back the embankment, similar to the sidewalks along Olentangy River Rd. beneath 315 (just north of Lennox).

https://goo.gl/maps/YKRsiJSnm2r

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

This is very much needed. Without sidewalks things that distance wise are walkable seem very uninviting. Looking forward to this as well as the rail road bridge redo. I might actually venture west across the river on foot. Currently I never make it further than Pizza Cucinova.

I’m also curious to see how the new nationwide traffic affects things. Hopefully things won’t get too bogged down.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: