Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

SideBar Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining SideBar Columbus

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Anne & I went out to dinner at Sidebar 122 last night and had a great time. It’s been open about a month in the former Brownstone location (122 E. Main Street). The menu is primarily a mix between Mediterranean and south american cuisines. They’ve also got a strong focus on classic cocktails at the bar, using a lot of fresh ingredients and old school recipes. I had an amazing Amaretto Fizz with an egg white whip on top. Anne ordered the “Two Step”, a vodka drink with muddled raspberries.

The GM brought us a complimentary sampler plate that included Shrimp in a spicy garlic sauce, beef tenderloin empanadas, chicken croquettes, and one or two other items that I’m forgetting the names of. Everything was really amazing, especially the empanadas.

For dinner I had the Braised Short Ribs, and Anne ordered the house-made Lobster Ravioli. Both were really solid dishes, but by this point we were pretty stuffed (we also had salads). The short rib was really well prepared, but my one minor complaint was that the plate was too small for the amount of food on it. I thought my first bite or two was going to cause food to spill over onto the table. Otherwise, a really solid meal.

We’re going to have to go back to try dessert. I’ve also heard good things about the bar (which has complimentary bacon sitting out, rather than peanuts or some other traditional bar snack).

Within the next two weeks they’ll be opening their Downstairs venue for jazz a few nights per week as well as special/private events. Their upstairs will eventually follow suit as well for more event space.

All in all, a really solid addition to Downtown, and a very nice addition to the dining scene as well.

More info & full menu, here: http://www.facebook.com/Sidebar122

Anyone else try it out yet? What did you think?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Also, here’s some photos of our entrees. Pardon the quality… taken with my iPhone… ;)

lifeliberty
    Participant

Walker said:
    the bar (which has complimentary bacon sitting out, rather than peanuts or some other traditional bar snack).

I’m kinda over the whole bacon thing, but that is friggin AWESOME!

Barf

Thank you for the review, however I must say I’ve been seeing an epidemic of food reviewers when I’m out at a nice place to eat, people pulling out their phones and taking photos of everything they are eating and drinking. To me it’s almost as bad as talking on your phone in a movie theater

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wow, you weren’t lying about those plates… where are you supposed to put the garnishes and broccoli stems? Sheesh.

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

It’s so nice to see the space reopened. We’re hearing lots of compliments about both the service and food.

I love seeing all the new businesses pop up in the south end of downtown. Dempsey’s will be opening soon for breakfast, lunch and dinner as another south downtown stop!

Campbell
    Blocked

I went to Sidebar last week and was thoroughly impressed. A tad pricier than Jury Room but it out-executed in all facets. When it comes to top quality food, drink & service in the downtown area right now I’d say they’re the clear frontrunner.

cbus11

Campbell said:
    I went to Sidebar last week and was thoroughly impressed. A tad pricier than Jury Room but it out-executed in all facets. When it comes to top quality food, drink & service in the downtown area right now I’d say they’re the clear frontrunner.

Also went there last week and I have a similar opinion. Great addition to downtown.

mbeaumont
    Participant

I wouldn’t compare them to Jury Room, totally different places with different styles. Jury Room does what they do very well, imo.

That being said, I’m also a big fan of Sidebar. Go there for a cocktail on a weekday night, and it’s dark and laid back. Perfect for conversation.

They take their classic cocktails seriously, which is great.

I’ve only snacked on their food, but their lamb shank pizza is delicious.

Great addition to downtown. Wish them tons of success.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Barf said:
    Thank you for the review, however I must say I’ve been seeing an epidemic of food reviewers when I’m out at a nice place to eat, people pulling out their phones and taking photos of everything they are eating and drinking. To me it’s almost as bad as talking on your phone in a movie theater

Yeah, I don’t really see myself as a qualified food reviewer, but about half way through eating we decided that it would be cool to post up a mini-review since we were having a good time and wanted to share our experience. So I got photos of our entrees which I figured would be enough without getting photos of every single item. ;)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Campbell said:

I’ve not been out to de-NOVO or Milestone for dinner yet, but I’ve been hearing equally good things about both of those spots.

Twixlen
    Participant

Barf said:

I bet most of the folks you see taking pictures are putting the photos on some sort of social media site – Twitter, FB, etc. At least, that’s what’s happening when I take a quick shot of my drink or meal.

I met a pal at Sidebar last Friday night. We sat at the bar. I really dig the vibe of the space – particularly the bar and the tables nearby. I saw a lot of couples coming in, and it definitely has the right vibe to be an excellent date spot.

I was impressed with the drink menu, and the fact that they’re making their own syrups and bitters. They don’t have anything that’s truly “well” level, nor are they going to carry any of the flavored vodkas. The cocktails and wine menu are excellently priced, with many of the cocktails coming with a sidecar and all of the wine being served with a quartino.

The complementary bacon is a fun touch, and we received an order of hummus and chips on the house which were *excellent.* I have thought about that hummus pretty regularly, it was that good.

We didn’t eat much – just the beef empanadas and ordered the tilapia fritters. The empanadas were really, really great – I’d happily order those as a meal, or split as an app anytime. The tilapia fritters were a little disapointing – I wanted them to be lighter and more crisp. They use a cornmeal breading on them, and it absorbs too much oil, I think.

I will definitely be back – and like Liz, it seems like such a nice fit with the rest of what’s happening downtown.

Oh – they have valet, but I found on street with no problem.

Double oh – They have a website out there, in the process of being built. I wish the menu and such would make it onto that space (and not in PDF!) – I don’t have access to Facebook from work, which is when I’m looking at menus and planning such things.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Twixlen said:
    Oh – they have valet, but I found on street with no problem.

I didn’t have any change on me last night (and I don’t know if there’s credit card meters nearby yet), so we parted in the City Center Garage, which was $2 for 2 hours, and only a half-block walk to the restaurant. ;)

Mister Shifter
    Participant

Barf said:

I’ve snapped photos of my food on plenty of occasions, but I take off the flash as to not distract people around me. I don’t see anything wrong with it. I haven’t noticed enough people doing it to describe it as an “epidemic”.

patient_zero
    Participant

SideBar 122 looks very different than the previous restaurant Out on Main. They kept many of the previous structural elements, but decorated in darker, richer colors, eliminating the bright blond maple elements, which were appealing in their own right. Both were beautiful in their own way. Out on Main was bestowed some kind of design award, so they certainly had a great space to work with. Check this facebook page if you want to see what the former space looked like:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=53869356775&v=photos

I stopped in exactly one month ago today on my way home from work, they had only been open a few days. Since I ate at work, I only had room for an appetizer and beer, and took the time to look around and soak in the ambiance. The space is beautiful and calming, as Mike says. Their menu has been described to me as tapas style, so perhaps they need to tweek their plating on heavier portions, or utilize larger plates. Their food quality is good though, and that speaks volumes.

Their wine list is extensive, and there are numerous cocktail options including ones with locally sourced liquors. No drafts beers, but I enjoyed a Samuel Smiths Organic Ale, which paired well with an order of calamari. Lightly deep fried rings with two dipping sauces, it was a great appetizer. The bartenders were extremely nice and brought me some complimentary hummus and pita chips.

I echo others in welcoming them to the downtown dining and cocktail scene, another fine establishment that adds vibrancy to the area.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: