Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Ohio's Speed Limit Raised to 70 MPH

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Ohio's Speed Limit Raised to 70 MPH

Viewing 2 posts - 106 through 107 (of 107 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Senators OK Transportation Bill, Minus 75-MPH Speed Limit
    March 25, 2015
    by The Associated Press

State senators have passed Ohio’s transportation budget after a committee dropped a proposal that would have raised the speed limit to 75 mph on certain rural freeways and the turnpike.

READ MORE: http://wosu.org/2012/news/2015/03/25/senators-ok-transportation-bill-minus-75-mph-speed-limit/

Analogue Kid
    Participant

I was very much in favor of going to 70 mph, but I am leery of going faster, at least in Ohio. For the most part, interstates here have too much traffic for a 75 mph limit. In addition, our interstates were constructed with a design speed of 70 mph, so going faster means you’re relying on very attentive drivers with well maintained equipment. That’s not a safe bet with our lack of inspections.

Around the US, higher limits are nearly always found on isolated stretches of road in the west as well as a couple spots in Maine and Louisiana that also see few cars and trucks. The only interstate that could possibly support a higher limit here is I-77 from south of Canton to Marietta, and perhaps US 35 from Xenia to Chillicothe. Otherwise this was the right move.

Viewing 2 posts - 106 through 107 (of 107 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE