Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Ohio's Speed Limit Raised to 70 MPH

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Ohio's Speed Limit Raised to 70 MPH

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 107 total)
  • Author

bob.os
    Participant

roy said:
    Uh, what do you think the police did before radar guns and other modern law enforcement tools and technology were available? They used discretion (or discression if you must, go Watterson).

When Bieber blows by a patrol car at a high rate of speed on a busy urban avenue, police may not have his recorded speed on radar. But using information available to them, they use discretion to estimate his speed. Cops use discretion every day, it’s a fundamental part of the job, get used to it.

Watterson, Immaculate Conception, or Clinton, I never could spell worth a damn anyway. Someone else got those genes.

That said, ‘before modern law enforcement tools were available’ Sheriff Smith or Colonel Chiaramonte had the ability to write you a speeding ticket or send you to Old Sparky based on ‘discretion.’ If you want to know whether this discretion was used by honest men, ask anyone who attended Ohio State or Kent State in 1970.

As it turns out, science found a solution for this. Radar and lasers(!) can measure the speed of a moving vehicle impersonably, unemotionally, precisely and without judging the race/color/creed of the driver. The geniuses on the Ohio Supreme Court chose to ignore science and make laughingstock of our state by declaring New Rome rules for Ohio.

GCrites80s
    Participant

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Worthington:pigs.

Coy
    Participant

When I lived in Colorado, the limit was 75, which meant that everyone did 90.
    This seems like a good idea, until you realize that you have developed an ulcer from commuting to work.
    It also def wastes more fuel, increases road rage, probably increases drunk driving fatalities, and already stressed truckers get more stressed. (all anecdotal, of course)
    Not to mention that Ohio does not inspect vehicles for proper mechanical safety, emissions, etc…
    In Youngstown, I’ve literally seen vehicles held together with duct tape and 2x4s bolted on as bumpers. So, it’s not exactly the same thing as Germany and the autobahn…

But if there is anything that I worry about in raising the speed limit, it’s motorcycles.
    There are too many dumb asses on crotch rockets and Harleys sans helmets out there that already push the limits on a bike without the skill.
    Upping the legal speed isn’t gonna help.

GCrites80s
    Participant

Coy said:

Not to mention that Ohio does not inspect vehicles for proper mechanical safety, emissions, etc…

That’s the worst part, no safety checks. If you can’t maintain the bare minimum of a safe vehicle such as properly working brakes, tires and suspension you don’t belong on the road. We have some of the most beat-up piece of crap cars running around this state because we have no periodical safety checks. They’re a danger to everyone. It’s like a third-world country. Those ones where the State Highway Patrol randomly pulled people over years ago weren’t the way to do it though. People should have to go to a shop like in most other states.

Coy
    Participant

I agree… any increase in the speed limit without thought of any inspection requirement is just dangerous.
    Maybe an extra 5mph doesn’t seem like a lot, but wait til you see the behavior change it causes in driving.

I used to commute 90min each way in Colorado. Even in blizzards, people just could not shut the need for speed down. Once, during a storm, I saw a wreck every mile for 15 miles because no one would let up… I pulled off and drove home on country roads.

Lu
    Participant

GCrites80s said:
    That’s the worst part, no safety checks. If you can’t maintain the bare minimum of a safe vehicle such as properly working brakes, tires and suspension you don’t belong on the road. We have some of the most beat-up piece of crap cars running around this state because we have no periodical safety checks. They’re a danger to everyone. It’s like a third-world country. Those ones where the State Highway Patrol randomly pulled people over years ago weren’t the way to do it though. People should have to go to a shop like in most other states.

I have a neighbor who has been missing both of his rearview mirrors for three years. I’ve lived in Pennsylvania and Virginia, and in both places, if you were missing a mirror, you’d be pulled over and ticketed within a week or two. Not sure why cops here don’t enforce car safety laws.

SpottieOttie

I thoroughly enjoyed the new speed limit as I drove back to Columbus from northeast Ohio last night. Everyone is trippin’ over 5 mph. Like people don’t already go 80 mph on the regular. I just got my first V6 and I am LOVING this change.

Anidem
    Participant

Coy said:
    When I lived in Colorado, the limit was 75, which meant that everyone did 90.
    This seems like a good idea, until you realize that you have developed an ulcer from commuting to work.
    It also def wastes more fuel, increases road rage, probably increases drunk driving fatalities, and already stressed truckers get more stressed. (all anecdotal, of course)
    In Youngstown, I’ve literally seen vehicles held together with duct tape and 2x4s bolted on as bumpers. So, it’s not exactly the same thing as Germany and the autobahn…

But if there is anything that I worry about in raising the speed limit, it’s motorcycles.
    There are too many dumb asses on crotch rockets and Harleys sans helmets out there that already push the limits on a bike without the skill.
    Upping the legal speed isn’t gonna help.

It seems every other metro area in Ohio except central Ohio has to do an e-check every other year.

GCrites80s
    Participant

Just urban counties in Northeast Ohio now. Cincinnati and Dayton don’t have to do it any more.

NerosNeptune
    Participant

GCrites80s said:
    Just urban counties in Northeast Ohio now. Cincinnati and Dayton don’t have to do it any more.

I was going to say I remember having to do it once when I lived in Dayton, and then never again. I’m pretty sure it was just an emissions test though and they didn’t really check the safety.

News
    Participant

70 MPH Limit In Ohio Hasn’t Led To More Tickets
    Monday October 28, 2013 10:06 AM

GRANVILLE, Ohio – The Ohio State Highway Patrol says its troopers have written fewer tickets on some stretches of highway where the speed limit was bumped to 70 mph earlier this year.

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2013/10/28/oh–new-speed-limit-tickets.html

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

I’m loving the 70 sections on 33. Pretty quick trip to Athens these days.

groundrules
    Participant

Snarf said:
    I’m loving the 70 sections on 33. Pretty quick trip to Athens these days.

the sharks patrol that road bigtime. I’ll bet I saw at least 8 sheriffs out pulling people over this weekend.

FireEngine
    Participant

groundrules said:
    the sharks patrol that road bigtime. I’ll bet I saw at least 8 sheriffs out pulling people over this weekend.

Halloween weekend in Athens, perfect opportunity for catching ne’er-do-wells.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 107 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE