Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Ohio's Speed Limit Raised to 70 MPH

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Ohio's Speed Limit Raised to 70 MPH

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 107 total)
  • Author

rodrudinger

rodrudinger said:
    Count on the Legislature to do the wrong thing. 70 is probably all right on the interstates, which are wide with easy turns and grades, but I’m against increasing the speed limit on other state highways to 60. There’s also the problem of those individuals (some of whom posted here) who routinely do 5 to 15 miles an hour over the speed limit, and distracted driving, such as using cell phones or texting while driving. Texting apparently led to a crash on I-70 west of Columbus which killed two people, wrecked several cars and trucks, and tied up traffic in the area for several hours. When you drive, DRIVE! You should have your full attention devoted to driving and being aware of your surroundings. There is also the possibility of mechanical failure. What are you going to do if you blow a tire, lose steering, or lose a CV joint at 70 mph? You should also be aware that the spped limit in Ohio is prima facie, that is, the posted speed limit applies only under ideal weather and road conditions. Any deterioration in line of sight, pavement quality, or weather conditions, etc. demands a lower speed.

AlanBarber
    Participant

Just as a FYI, here is the official map of the roads that will be raised to 70mph.

http://www.dot.state.oh.us/news/Documents/70-MPH-Map.pdf

It appears they are only raising limits on interstate highways outside of the major cities.

News
    Participant

More Ohio Roads Could See 70 MPH Speed Limit
    Wednesday June 5, 2013 10:56 AM

COLUMBUS, Ohio – More stretches of Ohio roadways could see 70 mph speed limits. An amendment added to the state budget bill being considered by the state Senate this week proposes raising the speed limit from 65 to 70 mph on some non-interstate freeways and rural four-lane highways.

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2013/06/05/oh–ohio-budget-speed-limits.html

Analogue Kid
    Participant

Seems logical, no reason to go 65 on US 33 up towards Marysville.

rodrudinger

More insanity.

GCrites80s
    Participant

It’s OK, all able-bodied 18 to 60-year-old upper-middle-class people with strong vision can handle it. So what if other people can’t? They’re unimportant.

ricospaz
    Participant

GCrites80s said:
    It’s OK, all able-bodied 18 to 60-year-old upper-middle-class people with strong vision can handle it. So what if other people can’t? They’re unimportant.

They can take side roads!

GCrites80s
    Participant

They get to go back to the old, old alignment that was once the U.S. route but is now called something like “Old U.S. 40 NE” that keeps spilling them back onto the newer alignment that’s tearing ass at 85.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

looks like this went into effect today on some highways.

bjones7
    Participant

Hurray, now everyone can ignore 70mph and go 75mph. I’ve never gotten pulled over for going 70mph before today on 71 headed North or South. Wonder if the highway patrols tolerance will go up an additional 5 mph? 70mph really means 75mph.

NerosNeptune
    Participant

There is always some leeway. Speedometers don’t always show a correctly calibrated speed, and their radar guns aren’t perfectly calibrated.

mrmann

As above I heard it was 5mph

bob.os
    Participant

NerosNeptune said:
    There is always some leeway. Speedometers don’t always show a correctly calibrated speed, and their radar guns aren’t perfectly calibrated.

Which doesn’t matter one tiny, tiny bit in the grand old state of Ohio, as any “sufficiently trained” peace officer can simply estimate your speed and cite you for it.

Speed limits are discretionary here. The problem is that it isn’t your discretion, it is that of the cop who was just told that their municipality needed to amp up the revenue.

roy
    Participant

bob.os said:
    Which doesn’t matter one tiny, tiny bit in the grand old state of Ohio, as any “sufficiently trained” peace officer can simply estimate your speed and cite you for it.

Speed limits are discressionary here. The problem is that it isn’t your discression, it is that of the cop who was just told that their municipality needed to amp up the revenue.

Uh, what do you think the police did before radar guns and other modern law enforcement tools and technology were available? They used discretion (or discression if you must, go Watterson).

When Bieber blows by a patrol car at a high rate of speed on a busy urban avenue, police may not have his recorded speed on radar. But using information available to them, they use discretion to estimate his speed. Cops use discretion every day, it’s a fundamental part of the job, get used to it.

Tight Ropewalker
    Tight Ropewalker
    Participant

roy said:
    Uh, what do you think the police did before radar guns and other modern law enforcement tools and technology were available? They used discretion (or discression if you must, go Watterson).

When Bieber blows by a patrol car at a high rate of speed on a busy urban avenue, police may not have his recorded speed on radar. But using information available to them, they use discretion to estimate his speed. Cops use discretion every day, it’s a fundamental part of the job, get used to it.

Agree, as it has to be. But I think the other point is the suspicion that some communities start distributing traffic violations when they need cash and ignore them at other times. For years I stopped at a blinking light in another state where you stop then go. One night, out of the blue, it was solid red. For nearly ten minutes. It was 2:00am. I figured it was broke, proceeded with caution and was immediately pulled over by a squad car lying in wait. This was a small town. While writing the ticket, I saw in my side-view mirror that the light had gone back to being a blinking red light.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 107 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE