Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Ohio's Speed Limit Raised to 70 MPH

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Ohio's Speed Limit Raised to 70 MPH

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 107 total)
  • Author

GCrites80s
    Participant

And cars with broken suspensions will still try to drive on the interstate at 30 mph. And people with mattresses on the roofs of their cars.

captain janks
    Participant

next on the list of things to work on… getting rid of the front plate.

GCrites80s
    Participant

The State Highway Patrol probably doesn’t want front plate to go away. It makes it easier for a laser speed gun to get a reading.

Gil Ligg

Yes, it should be 70,

And I agree, no semis in the passing lane!!!!

bjx
    Participant

No. The speed limit should be set at a range between 60-65. Five whole minutes per hour would be saved for the average driver by raising it to 70mph. Whereas, the likelihood of accidents increase at an exponential rate at every breakpoint in the speed limit. For example between 25-35mph the accident rate rises by 3X in similarly situated areas (not 30% as one would expect). You might see smaller proportional uptick in accidents but since the actual in-practice speed range would be observably higher IRL (66-72ish or 71-77ish, respectively) in areas outside of metropolitan areas it still wouldn’t be a good idea.

Also I have read that the world moves too fast for most drivers at 80mph+, despite what sportscar companies want you to believe when trying to upsell you engine horsepower. Everyone considers themselves to be above-average drivers on the normal distribution curve, however driving fast is a highly-specialized skill like hitting a curveball.

Speed has to be tailored to human ability. More gadget distractions in-hand along with more vehicular comfort/auto-control would make it a bad idea for Ohio’s population density, at least. I’ve always wondered how many accidents are caused by people simply because they are listening to music or how non-primary coloured cars (grayscale/darker/black) haven’t yet been outlawed for all the accidents they cause indirectly. If you drive a grayscale car it is as important that you are seen by others as that you see others while driving, especially at night.

tdziemia
    Participant

Studies that looked at the effect of national speed limits on highway fatalities back in the 1970s and 1980s were inconclusive on the effect of speed limits on safety. So, though counter-intuitive, that would not appear to be a big issue.

Certainly fuel efficiency will be worse, but nobody cares much about that at the individual level (or we would all be driving the minimum legal speed on interstates).

As for the comments on Prius drivers, I take exception (but maybe I AM an exception, too).

Analogue Kid
    Participant

I don’t buy safety arguments against this limit for a second. Germany has no speed limit on some sections of the autobahn and a 130 km/h (81 mph) limit on others, and yet their traffic fatality rate is lower than the US.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

Keep in mind most fatalities happen on non-freeway roads, particularly rural 2-lane roads with 55 mph limits.

tdziemia
    Participant

Agreed. It’s also interesting that European countries have lower fatality rates despite having higher population density.

Driving tests in European countries are significantly more rigorous than those in the U.S. Maybe that’s a component. If you’ve driven over there, it’s obvious that Europeans are far superior at highway driving compared to Americans.

bjx
    Participant

I think for the most part, regarding speed, I got it from reading in this book, but your observations on the road are likely much more evidentiary:

http://www.amazon.com/Traffic-Drive-What-Says-About/dp/0307277194/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1363144851&sr=1-1&keywords=traffic

I’ve driven a steady 90-115mph on the Autobahn for about a half an hour clip. The freeways were designed differently to accommodate different vehicle speeds better and also everyone was on the same page and not on cell phones and stuff. Maybe also them krauts is older drivers, better drivers, avg age of the driver is different than in the U.S., car cell phone policies etc. different/less used, mostly “working” licensed-drivers, safer-made cars so less fatalities reported, better design in rural areas (roundabouts), better traffic design in general, etc. though.

People are still 97% chimpanzee, so no thank you to 70mph. Overall, this increasing the speed-limit nonsense always reminds me of morons who say “why don’t we have THEM flying cars yet?” Ummm…yeah, like I really wanna get hit by a car while I’m brushing my teeth in my bathroom.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

People will still go 55mph in the left lane in Ohio.

And that’s just horrible, because who would want to see anything in Ohio? Just speed it the hell up and get somewhere else already!*

*sarcasm
    **I love Ohio

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Analogue Kid said:
    I don’t buy safety arguments against this limit for a second. Germany has no speed limit on some sections of the autobahn and a 130 km/h (81 mph) limit on others, and yet their traffic fatality rate is lower than the US.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

Keep in mind most fatalities happen on non-freeway roads, particularly rural 2-lane roads with 55 mph limits.

They have fewer accidents bc of better driver education and stricter licensing requirements.

Driving is sadly treated as a right in the US and not a privledge.

Jman4ever
    Participant

Snarf said:
    They have fewer accidents bc of better driver education and stricter licensing requirements.

Driving is sadly treated as a right in the US and not a privledge.

+1 on the licensing.

I remember my parents really studying hard for the German Drivers License when we were there. I think they said the written exam took about an hour.

Schoolboy
    Participant

Jman4ever said:
    +1 on the licensing.

I remember my parents really studying hard for the German Drivers License when we were there. I think they said the written exam took about an hour.

+2
    And that is true about the written exam in Germany according to an ex coworker of mine.
    The same coworker was also original Russia, and I remember him saying something about it being equally hard there. Not to mentin superior in every way… he had a lot of Russian pride.

ricospaz
    Participant

Your Avatar creeps me out, BJX

Jman4ever
    Participant

Schoolboy said:
    +2
    And that is true about the written exam in Germany according to an ex coworker of mine.
    The same coworker was also original Russia, and I remember him saying something about it being equally hard there. Not to mentin superior in every way… he had a lot of Russian pride.

You mean here?

I would walk 500 miles

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 107 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: