Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Ohio's Speed Limit Raised to 70 MPH

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Ohio's Speed Limit Raised to 70 MPH

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 107 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Crashes pile up since turnpike went to 70 mph
    By Robert Vitale
    The Columbus Dispatch
    Tuesday April 17, 2012 7:05 AM

In the year since officials increased the legal speed limit on the Ohio Turnpike to 70 mph, the number of crashes along the 241-mile highway has increased 5.5 percent, the State Highway Patrol said yesterday. Although she wouldn’t link the raised limit to the crashes, a patrol spokeswoman noted that the number of crashes elsewhere in Ohio declined by about 3.5 percent in 2011.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/04/17/crashes-pile-up-since-turnpike-went-to-70-mph.html

cheap

wow,a whopping 5 percent.lol

Columbusneon
    Participant

It will stay 65. I’m really not opposed to 70, but would rather the truck speed limit stay lower, even go back to 55. Large truck accidents have increased noticeably since their speed limit went up to 65 about 3 years ago.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

The Highway Patrol is again playing fast and loose with statistics. Crashes are up, but fatalities are down: http://www.ohio.com/news/break-news/ohio-turnpike-2011-safest-full-year-in-history-1.254428

The reason crashes are up is because they finally got most of the trucks off US 20 and onto the pike again. Also more people are driving now that the economy is recovering. So a 5.5% increase really isn’t attributable to speed limits. The patrol simply wants to be able to write lots of tickets because the 65 mph limit is way lower than the 85th percentile speed for most Ohio interstates.

Buster Bluth
    Participant

F*ck the Highway Patrol, and speeding tickets. All rural interstates should have an 80mph limit. And they should ticket people for riding others’ asses, not speeding.

News
    Participant

Proposal Would Boost Ohio’s Speed Limit To 70mph
    March 11, 2013
    by The Associated Press

An Ohio Senate panel is considering changes that would increase the state’s maximum speed limit from 65 mph to 70 mph on interstate highways outside of urban areas. The Senate Transportation Committee accepted the revisions to the state’s transportation budget on Monday. The panel is expected to vote on it this week.

READ MORE: http://wosu.org/2012/news/2013/03/11/proposal-would-boost-ohios-speed-limit-to-70mph/

Dotson

We are behind Indiana when it comes to speed limits, I mean Indiana, really? It really sucks knowing your state is more backwards than Indiana of all places.

Patch
    Participant

Dotson said:
    We are behind Indiana when it comes to speed limits, I mean Indiana, really? It really sucks knowing your state is more backwards than Indiana of all places.

And Kentucky.

And Michigan, right?

West Virgina?

Analogue Kid
    Participant

Patch said:
    And Kentucky.

And Michigan, right?

West Virgina?

Yep. The majority of states in the US have a 70 mph or greater limit on rural expressways.

ricospaz
    Participant

Can’t wait to go 80

columbusmike
    Participant

There really have to be more important issues facing us than going 5 mph faster on the freeways…

Unbelievable.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

We need keep right except to pass laws.

Also a ban on semi trucks and Toyota Prius in the passing lane.

Pablo
    Participant

70 means I won’t stick out as much doing my customary 80.

Patch
    Participant

Snarf said:
    We need keep right except to pass laws.

Also a ban on semi trucks and Toyota Prius in the passing lane.

Lord.

Prius drivers are THE WORST!

I now look out for them like I do gold Buicks.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Patch said:
    Lord.

Prius drivers are THE WORST!

I now look out for them like I do gold Buicks.

I’d like to add PT Cruisers to the list of stereotypical bad drivers.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 107 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION