Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Ohio's Speed Limit Raised to 70 MPH

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Ohio's Speed Limit Raised to 70 MPH

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 107 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Should speed limit be 70?

Jan. 12, 2012

Written by Paul E. Kostyu

A Southwest Ohio lawmaker wants to raise the speed limit on Ohio’s interstate highways to 70 miles an hour – five miles above the current limit. A similar 2009 attempt by other lawmakers never got out of the parking lot. But the bill by Rep. Ron Maag, R-Salem Township, may move farther down the road. That’s because the Ohio Turnpike – run independently – raised its speed limit to 70 mph.

READ MORE: http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20120111/NEWS0108/301100161/Should-speed-limit-70-?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CNews

Mister Shifter
    Participant

YES, PLEASE!

rus
    rus
    Participant

Or higher.

cheap

i thought it was 70 on the turnpike

Pablo
    Participant

70? I would have to slow down…

Mister Shifter
    Participant

I travel to Michigan often for work. Every time when I cross back into Ohio a little part inside me groans.

bjones7
    Participant

So if it’s posted to 70, then we can legally drive 75/78ish? Seeing that cops do not stop people going 70 usually. Well that works for me.

@Rus Parts out west are 75mph. Also in Texas U.S routes and most county/state roads are 70. Yet both places have a lot more space!

rus
    rus
    Participant

bjones7 said:
    So if it’s posted to 70, then we can legally drive 75/78ish? Seeing that cops do not stop people going 70 usually. Well that works for me.

@Rus Parts out west are 75mph. Also in Texas U.S routes and most county/state roads are 70. Yet both places have a lot more space!

manticore33
    Participant

YES! However, better still of Ohio instituted its own Autobahn. It’d bring out of town people. I have two cars capable of over 155mph and want to bury the needle.

Yeti22
    Participant

Autobahn is the same as saying freeway.

It is a great system, but I think it would fail in Ohio. In Germany the drivers are educated on how to drive properly and they are considerate of other drivers. The left lane is for passing only. Until there is a change in the US driving culture every speed is dangerous.

I hit 160mph once on the A6. It didn’t feel dangerous. 80mph on I-70 is frightening at times. Too many bad drivers pop out infront of you at 60mph.

turnedNOTburned
    Participant

Dunno, are the extra minutes you’ll save driving across the state worth the 5-8% loss in mileage? Factor in safety, accident rates, and I bet it’s diminishing returns. http://mpgforspeed.com/ There’s got to be some solid data out there….

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Yeti22 said:
    Autobahn is the same as saying freeway.

It is a great system, but I think it would fail in Ohio. In Germany the drivers are educated on how to drive properly and they are considerate of other drivers. The left lane is for passing only. Until there is a change in the US driving culture every speed is dangerous.

I hit 160mph once on the A6. It didn’t feel dangerous. 80mph on I-70 is frightening at times. Too many bad drivers pop out infront of you at 60mph.

So which comes first then… the chicken or the egg?

GCrites80s
    Participant

In the State of Ohio, it is not illegal to camp out in the left lane. That’s not true in many other states, including West Virginia which has been 70 for years despite its more challenging roadways. They should institute a left-lane law when they do this.

Doing away with the split speed limit for truckers certainly helped traffic flow considerably on our rural Interstates and cut down on rage.

CooperGuy

turnedNOTburned said:
    Dunno, are the extra minutes you’ll save driving across the state worth the 5-8% loss in mileage? Factor in safety, accident rates, and I bet it’s diminishing returns. http://mpgforspeed.com/ There’s got to be some solid data out there….

Apparently there is some data…

The Ohio Turnpike says six traffic fatalities last year made it the safest full year in the toll road’s history. The safety mark came as the 241-mile turnpike raised the speed limit to 70 mph last year. The traffic death toll was seven in 2010.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/01/10/ohio-turnpike-safest-year-ever.html

CooperGuy

Yes. But only if they up the minimum legal speed by the same.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 107 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE