Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Should German Village have Parking Meters?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Should German Village have Parking Meters?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author

drew
    Participant

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

TaraK wrote >>
    Where would the meters be? On 3rd? Any street with businesses also has as much or more residential.

They wouldn’t have to line a street from end to end. A couple of clusters in front of business areas (Cup O Joe / Book Loft / G. Mike’s / Barcelona / Giant Eagle / Thurman’s / Skillet / Brown Bag / Katzingers) would do the trick at keeping spots turned over. I think it would be beneficial for area businesses.

drew wrote >>
    http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/9337/horsemeter.jpg

Very nice. ;)

Core_Models

I think it would be beneficial for area businesses.

Except the part about them not wanting them…

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

So if business owners Downtown or in the Short North don’t want them they can request to have them removed?

I think a lot of people (including business owners) don’t understand exactly what parking meters do. That’s why some GV business owners may claim that they don’t want them. I’m sure others there wouldn’t mind having them, and they just have never spoken up about it.

FADulous

I think FAD was talking about these like Chicago has…does clean up the sidewalk a lot and they seem to be able to squeeze lots more vehicles in an area since you aren’t limited by 1 car at 1 meter…can have a cluster of 2 wheely things taking up what would be one meter space, two smart cars in the space of one meter, etc… I apologize if that IS what they are planning and I’m just not in the know on it. But if it’s not, I’d love to see them try some kiosks in some areas.

That is what I am talking about- thanks for the image to go along with it. And, Drew, love the image.

I am not arguing for meters or Kiosks in GV (though to Walker’s point, if it paid for removing overhead lines in GV that would be a HUGE win for the neighborhood) and I realize the city did test one such kiosk (on Gay Street I believe?), but OSU now has ”pay and display” solar powered kiosks all over the surface lots on campus and they seem to be quite successful. I am thinking that as an overall strategy for the city, thinking long-term about kiosks

1) cleans up the street and is more progressive
    2)adds flexibility for vehicle type and size
    3)as a strategy, has to be cheaper per linear foot of on-street parking than installing meter after meter equipped with “smart heads” (but I may be wrong about that; just seems that 1 big thing would cost less than 20-25 small ones)

melikecheese
    Participant

I vote no on GV meters! Meters would never pass code and I didn’t see a section in the GV guidelines about acceptable parking meters…horse posts on the other hand, maybe people can pay to tie the car up to the post.

The Starbucks customers can’t even park in valid free spots, hate to see the mess if the few spots outside got metered…

HeySquare
    Participant

Walker wrote >>

TaraK wrote >>
    Where would the meters be? On 3rd? Any street with businesses also has as much or more residential.

They wouldn’t have to line a street from end to end. A couple of clusters in front of business areas (Cup O Joe / Book Loft / G. Mike’s / Barcelona / Giant Eagle / Thurman’s / Skillet / Brown Bag / Katzingers) would do the trick at keeping spots turned over. I think it would be beneficial for area businesses.

drew wrote >>
    http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/9337/horsemeter.jpg

Very nice. ;)

The thing is… if there is a parking “issue” in German Village, the problem stems from downtown workers using GV as a free parking garage. My block gets filled up every morning with people parking for free all day and walking to the courthouse or other areas in the south of downtown.

A change in regulation to 2 hour parking M-F, 8-5 unless by permit, would pretty much eliminate any parking problem there is in the neighborhood. If Lindey’s would get their valet service to rent one of the office lots along Livingston rather than using on-street parking, it would eliminate the rest of the parking “problem” in German Village.

News
    Participant

Parking battle brewing in German Village
    By GARY SEMAN JR.
    ThisWeek Community News
    Wednesday June 5, 2013 12:15 PM

Another parking battle is brewing in German Village. Some residents are asking the city to institute permit parking on Kossuth Street between Mohawk and Fifth streets, placing in jeopardy about 20 on-street parking spots for some of the area’s most popular tourist destinations: Schmidt’s Sausage Haus und Restaurant, Schmidt’s Fudge Haus, Helen Winnemore Crafts and the Old Mohawk restaurant.

READ MORE: http://www.thisweeknews.com/content/stories/germanvillage/news/2013/06/03/parking-battle-brewing-in-german-village.html

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: