Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Should German Village have Parking Meters?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Should German Village have Parking Meters?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author

Tenzo
    Participant

TaraK wrote >>
    3) “I hate the brick roads.” (Just a weird excuse.)

I’m thankfull for the brick roads.
    Every Friday people use City Park to parallel High. (The exit off the highway on Greenlawn does not allow you to make a left on high).
    Between about 4:30 and 6:00 people come zooming down city park at what looks like 40 mph. Which blows because there are lots of kids and a grade school.

Every once and a while they hit a dip in the brick road and there is a loud scrape as their undercarriege hits brick. Makes them slow down.

Tenzo wrote >>
    It’s a bad idea for a couple of reasons
    1) It’s not an area where a large amount of people work.
    2) It’s a historic area. They are talking about putting in gas lamps and toning down street lights. Big efforts are underway to bring the look back to the 19th century. Digging up brick sidewalks to put in 21st century meeters is an equivalent of ‘let them eat bricks’
    4) With meters comes the need for off street extended parking. Which means either paved lots or 1950’s style parking grarages.
    5) It’s not a retail district in the sense that lots of people go there. Instead, people go there and wander.
    So am I saying German Village is special? Well, yes. It’s unique and a Columbus treasure and should be treated that way.

+1, let’s get it right this time Columbus. Too often we see our history destroyed i.e. Union Station. Just to go off this slippery slope to make a little pocket change. Columbus needs longterm growth and digging up bricks in GV to pay for a Hilton downtown isn’t worth it.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Did someone seriously say GV needs more permit parking? lol.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

roy wrote >>

FADulous wrote >>
    personally, I really hope we aren’t investing in 500 more ice age coin operated meters. Chicago, for instance, catapaulted most of its old meters in favor of credit card/coin and bill kiosks and it really cleaned up the streetscape.

FAD, you aren’t paying attention. New smart meter heads were identified by the parking meter work group as a core necessity. Council approved the first round of smart dc/cc/coin heads June 21.

So I haven’t followed every detail of the parking mess either. But are they just replacing each meter head with a meter that takes cc? So there will still be a meter on the sidewalk every…whatever…10 feet like there is now? I think FAD was talking about these like Chicago has…does clean up the sidewalk a lot and they seem to be able to squeeze lots more vehicles in an area since you aren’t limited by 1 car at 1 meter…can have a cluster of 2 wheely things taking up what would be one meter space, two smart cars in the space of one meter, etc… I apologize if that IS what they are planning and I’m just not in the know on it. But if it’s not, I’d love to see them try some kiosks in some areas.

Tenzo
    Participant

yeah yeah I know, Chicago does it better than Columbus.
    Do we have to beat that drum everyday?

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

Well other cities have em too. I’ve just seen those.

And also…shoosh! :)

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

And in Tampa, they’re solar powered!

Tenzo
    Participant

osulew wrote >>

That looks suspiciously like Philly. Just south of Terminal Market.

joev
    Participant

osulew wrote >>

If they were really eco-conscious, Tampa would power the meters with the unstoppable power of old people complaining.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

Tenzo wrote >>

osulew wrote >>

That looks suspiciously like Philly. Just south of Terminal Market.

Could be. I just don’t really care to read crap this morning. I yanked it from an article saying that Tampa was replacing 1000 meters with those stations…but yeah that would make sense that they yoinked the pic from another city. So add Philly to the parking kiosk list too. I just love me a good kiosk I suppose.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

joev wrote >>

osulew wrote >>

If they were really eco-conscious, Tampa would power the meters with the unstoppable power of old people complaining.

I lol’d.

Roland
    Participant

I thought the kiosks were the one’s Columbus was upgrading to? All the cities I’ve been to that supported credit cards had them. I’d think implementing individual post meters with CC processing capabilities would be more costly for no reason.

heresthecasey
    Participant

The kiosks were tried and did not work,

Malfunctions in the kiosks, though caught quicker than problems at individual meters, stopped collections for dozens of spaces at a time. And they weren’t any more convenient: Lines of people waiting formed to pay at a single machine.

more here:
    https://www.columbusunderground.com/old-parking-meters-are-here-to-stay-for-now

Tenzo
    Participant

joev wrote >>

osulew wrote >>

I resemble that statement.
    And if that were a source of energy for parking meters, we can put all we want in German Village.

turbo ninja
    Participant

As a former GV resident and on-street parker, I think it would be a good idea to set up meterable spaces in German Village.

You already need an “A” permit to park on some GV streets during certain hours, ostensibly as a means of keeping tourists, visitors and other non-residents off the streets where resident parking is most valuable. Just extend the “A” permit requirement to a few more streets/blocks, and make the pay-to-park rule mandatory for anyone without a permit.

The city benefits by having more income from the expanded permit area AND by being able to ticket cars for overtime meters. GV residents would benefit because non-permit holders might not be so footloose with where and how long they park.

I’m sure the talented minds in that neighborhood could figure out a tasteful design and presentation for the meter machines and signage. Couldn’t be more of an eyesore than some of those Other Paper/Dispatch/Apartment Guide boxes that are allowed on various corners of the village…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: