Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Short North White Castle Site to Be Mixed-Use Development

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Short North White Castle Site to Be Mixed-Use Development

This topic contains 169 replies, has 58 voices, and was last updated by  ehill27 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 170 total)
  • Author
    MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

With the economy becoming unstable

?

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

I don’t get that comment either.

The economy isn’t the stock market and the stock market isn’t the economy.

WJT
    Participant

Well at least with this they won’t be able to redesign it into something even worse. Mediocrity prevails. Maybe it will look better than it appears in the renders?

sruckus
    Participant

The Business First article states that they hope to start construction in the summer. With the economy becoming unstable and an apartment glut looming, I am not sure if this or many other PROPOSED projects will materialize.

You should watch less Fox News. Those who watch it are becoming more and more out of touch and just sound crazy.

indyout
    Participant

Sorry, I don’t have cable, with that said, I hope this and other projects proceed.
    But, compared to other cities the size of Columbus, much more actual building is occurring. We seem to have more proposals than actual construction. When the economy begins to wavier, then the first thing to go on hold is building projects.

WJT
    Participant

Sorry, I don’t have cable, with that said, I hope this and other projects proceed.<br>
    But, compared to other cities the size of Columbus, much more actual building is occurring. We seem to have more proposals than actual construction. When the economy begins to wavier, then the first thing to go on hold is building projects.

I don’t know so much about the economy wavering part, but I do agree that compared to peer cities, it appears that we have so many proposals out, but so little construction actually happening. It is just…disturbing in some way.

chaoticpix93
    Participant

Rest in Peace what’s left of the Short North parking… I wonder what they’re going to do with the really need Japanese-styled pink (I think it’s pink) arch thing over the parking lot right there?

lbl
    Participant

Rest in Peace what’s left of the Short North parking… I wonder what they’re going to do with the really need Japanese-styled pink (I think it’s pink) arch thing over the parking lot right there?

its a city lot, so hopefully it will be re-purposed. or maybe they can sell it to Zen Tea Salon across the street – it wouldn’t have to go very far. . .

ImNotaStar
    Participant

No,but the way term structure of interest rates work, Treasury yields are, and the 10 year dipped below 2% today. This is after the short end of the curve was raised by the Fed a few weeks ago. Flattening yield curve= bad news. But im sure you knew that….. Wait nah I’m lying I knew you were talking out of your ass.

jbcmh81
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>indyout wrote:</div>
    Sorry, I don’t have cable, with that said, I hope this and other projects proceed.<br><br>

I don’t know so much about the economy wavering part, but I do agree that compared to peer cities, it appears that we have so many proposals out, but so little construction actually happening. It is just…disturbing in some way.

I don’t think that’s anything but the product of a lack of manpower, to be honest, in terms of so many proposals not yet started.

ohbr
    Participant

I don’t know how much I buy the lack of manpower argument and that Our peer cities, including those in our own state have a glut of construction projects. Somehow these other cities have more skilled tradesmen than Columbus or were all able to pull skilled tradesmen from a city with roughly a million people? could it be that we’re seeing the same levels of construction as peer cities but we seem to think it’s less because it’s spread between downtown, short north, campus, Dublin, worthington, Hilliard, grove city, new Albany, etc and not as centralized as our peers? Are our peer cities seeing as much urbanization and massive apartment complex and medical facility construction in outlying areas?

And as a semi regular reader of urban cincy, and cleveland publications, they too see their fair share of projects that sit out in waiting. Although, I haven’t found an outlet for either of those cities that are truly as investigatory (?) about projects. Through CU and its readers, we hear about projects well before many people in CLE and Cincy would normally hear about them possibly adding to the idea that we’re sitting on too many un-started (?) projects.

Just spitballing theories.

CbusIslander
    Participant

There is a labor shortage in skill trades at nearly all “hot” spot cities currently. We are currently in “full employment at 3.5% unemployment” which means levels not seen since the late 90’s and before 9/11. Construction labor force here locally is still size-ably short from 10 years ago. Other factor, Jan-March isn’t your typical outside and groundbreaking time for projects is general. Contractors are finishing interior work on projects the public generally view as being done. You will see large amount pop up this spring. These recently approved projects will start then. Columbus growth currently is ,at historic levels. Patience is key with these larger projects.

As far as this project, to go from a single building surrounded by a parking lot to a 8 story, 6 story, and a parking garage. This block will totally change the look of this stretch of high. Good transition.

mbeaumont
    Participant

Rest in Peace what’s left of the Short North parking…

There is more public parking coming online with this development than there was in the lot it is taking over. So it’s a net gain, not a loss.

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>King Gambrinus wrote:</div>

No,but the way term structure of interest rates work, Treasury yields are, and the 10 year dipped below 2% today. This is after the short end of the curve was raised by the Fed a few weeks ago. Flattening yield curve= bad news. But im sure you knew that….. Wait nah I’m lying I knew you were talking out of your ass.

Whoa there buddy, I was just saying that economic growth and GDP growth aren’t one for one. In fact a Credit Suisse analysis of 114 years of history across 25 countries showed that there was a slightly negative correlation between economic growth and stock market growth. So just because the S&P is down 8% YTD doesn’t mean the sky is falling and the economy is collapsing. So no the economy isn’t the stock market and the stock market isn’t the economy. But don’t worry you can still screw off.

Eugene_C
    Participant

I actually think this is one of the more exciting proposed sites. I think it will look great there, and it’s a great homage to the White Castle that stood on that spot for so many years.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>chaoticpix93 wrote:</div>
    Rest in Peace what’s left of the Short North parking…

There is more public parking coming online with this development than there was in the lot it is taking over. So it’s a net gain, not a loss.

It wasn’t like you could just leave your car in the White Castle lot, unless you were going to White Castle, anyway. There’s lots of parking in SN now if you use the garages. Plus there’s another huge garage right by the cap that is coming on line, soon.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 170 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.