Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Short North White Castle Site to Be Mixed-Use Development

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Short North White Castle Site to Be Mixed-Use Development

This topic contains 169 replies, has 58 voices, and was last updated by  ehill27 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 170 total)
  • Author
    _calebross
    _calebross
    Participant

EXCLUSIVE: Short North’s White Castle project up for approval with new design
    Jan 14, 2016, 10:29am
    Evan Weese | Columbus Business First

Borror Properties is going before the Victorian Village Commission Thursday with revised plans for its eight-story, White Castle-anchored complex in the Short North.

The size of the planned mixed-use development at 965 N. High St., the site of an existing White Castle restaurant, remains unchanged at 98 apartments and 206 parking spots, with 11,000 square feet of street-level retail and 12,000 square feet of second-floor offices.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2016/01/14/exclusive-short-norths-white-castle-project-up-for.html

—-

Notes on the redesign, I significantly think it is better.

Pablo
    Participant

Nice!

Josh Bauman
    Josh Bauman
    Participant

So… It’s red now. It’s not brick, but it’s red. What a dramatic change… :/

heresthecasey
    Participant

Fiber cement panels? That should be a giant red flag to the commission.

Borror needs to use a high-quality exterior material that will last. Other than that, the new design is pretty uninspiring but fine IMO. What other retail tenants would people want to see here?

I wouldn’t mind a 24 hr CVS or Walgreens type place.

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

Fiber cement panels? That should be a giant red flag to the commission.

Borror needs to use a high-quality exterior material that will last.

you’re aware of their work in the burbs, right?

heresthecasey
    Participant

you’re aware of their work in the burbs, right?

Yes, I am. And to date I’ve been pleased with the commissions holding them to a higher standard on most of their projects down here in the city. Hoping that continues with this proposal as well.

WJT
    Participant

Might as well just make it red brick. No fiber cement panels. It is gonna look cheapo otherwise. The design is meh.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

If those are fiber cement panels, swap them out for brick and I’d be okay with it. That is one massive building!

OneBagTravel
    Participant

More like Borroring amirite? I miss this design :(

Josh Bauman
    Josh Bauman
    Participant

More like Borroring amirite? I miss this design :(

I agree whole-heartedly

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

strangely so do I

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

Bah, disagree. That design looks like it belongs in SpongeBob.

The new one is better in my opinion, but I think the fiber cement panels are a huge disappointment. I was looking through the VVC’s meeting notes and the commissioners seemed split on the topic. But for it to have been included at all in the tiny blurbs they put in those meeting notes it must have been a hot topic.

Nancy H
    Participant

I didn’t like the original (above) design. Always felt too gimmicky and a bit like an unfinished design. I like the original colors better than the current red. Even old building lovers like me get tired of developers using red brick because that is what they think makes it fit in well with surrounding older structures.

That heavy white (or light grey) band above the first floor is visually abrupt with the red cement board on the upper floors. Looks a bit like they are sticking an old building in the top of a new one.

New builds are supposed to be a product of their own time yet sympathetic to the surrounding historic structures. This is neither.

indyout
    Participant

The Business First article states that they hope to start construction in the summer. With the economy becoming unstable and an apartment glut looming, I am not sure if this or many other PROPOSED projects will materialize.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

The Business First article states that they hope to start construction in the summer. With the economy becoming unstable and an apartment glut looming, I am not sure if this or many other PROPOSED projects will materialize.

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2016/01/05/apartment-vacancies-expected-to-hit-16-year-low-in.html

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 170 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Got 5 minutes? Please take our 2019 demographic survey and tell us a bit about yourself and share your thoughts on how CU can improve!