Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Short North Tax Abatements

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Short North Tax Abatements

This topic contains 19 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Cbussmallbiz 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

DLDude
    Participant

Curious what qualifies for an abatement. If I ‘renovated’ my home in IV and sold it back to myself could I get 10yrs abated?

This all seems crazy> I was driving through Grandview thinking about how valuable a small 3bdrm house is over there, and I remember the school districts are good there. Got me thinking when the more inner city schools might get good with all this money coming in, and this highlights why that will never happen. Even though 1000s of straight up wealthy people are moving into the Columbus School District, so few of those tax dollars will end up in the school.

I wonder what life will be like in 10yrs when all of the sudden these already-overpriced condos are set to see their taxes go for $1000/yr to $10000/yr. Do I predict a mass exodus?

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

rich kids go to private skool, sending your kids to CCS is a social experiment.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

lazyfish, not true! There are great educational options in CCS and you discount the hard work of a lot of people with such a blanket statement.

And DLDude, if someone who isn’t paying taxes due to a tax abatement chooses to use a public school, in my opinion that could be great because that person(s) would/could have ‘extra money’ that could be directed just at their child’s school. Not the best solution, but I don’t think that’s necessarily an automatic losing situation.

However, if that doesn’t happen, and the district is losing out on money, it does make it so the school’s pto needs to cover the cost of more things at a school.

Money always has the potential to make things better. But what is changing the inner city schools right now is a committed community of people working really hard to make them better with donations of time, care, supplies, opportunities, and dollars.

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

Anne, some social experiments work, i congratulate your and others heroic efforts to have quality public schools in the city, that said, there is a long way to go for the vast majority of the city schools…there are exceptions to the otherwise dismal rule.

Cbussmallbiz
    Participant

The tax abatements are ridiculous. Period. The short north is well on its way to be an exclusive high income area. Welfare for developers dressed as help for poor people. Thanks fake progressives.

If CCS Pta groups have to buy basic supplies isn’t that a sign that the schools are not being administered effectively? It’s great that people are engaged…. But maybe folks should be protesting for the district to stop the fraud, waste and games.

Defending tax abatements by saying how great the school PTAs are doing at raising money for basic supplies is kinda making the counter argument.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.