Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Short North Summer of Hair Salons?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Short North Summer of Hair Salons?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author

cr0m

I will pass on the “head buffing” service. I thought that was found primarily on Main St.? Am I thinking of something else?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Columbusite wrote >>
    I guess my standards are too high for Columbus…

UDF sells bread, milk, eggs, and a variety of canned/boxed goods. Yes, the fresh produce is a bit lacking, but they do sell BASIC GROCERIES which is what you were originally off-topically complaining about.

The problem is that your standards are not “too high”. The problem is that you like to complain just to hear yourself complain. If UDF started stocking fresh produce, you’d totally ignore it just to find something else to complain about it.

So, in conclusion:

1) Shut up
    2) Stop whining
    3) Stop derailing
    4) Back on topic

If Columbusites friend lives just east of Buttles and High, his friend can VERY easily walk to North Market and Giant Eagle. In fact, I’d say they are probably closer than UDF. AND one of the key ingredients to walkable communities is that they are mixed use. What, is Colubusite proposing that all stores should be lined up in one strip?

Anyway, sorry Walker. This is the first time I saw this thread. I live much further than C’s friend, and I often walk to both North Market and Giant Eagle (well, and UDF, too, since it’s in my block — sometimes we just gotta have Dorito’s and Mtn Dew)!

misskitty
    Participant

Hair salons in the Short North are showing up a lot just like sandwich shops Downtown. I honestly think it’s a set up for fail and empty store fronts. If you over saturate a market with the same thing the majority will fail right?

Oh, and so back on topic. Yeah, Carl and I were talking about that recently, and I mentioned the CU thread about Levels, where folks were griping about too many gay bars . I said seems like the hair salon explosion would get some attention, then, too — and so it did! :) I have no opinion – I don’t know what the market will support on any of these businesses, and just wish them all the best of luck. However, I’ve been super busy lately, and ignoring things for myself a bit — and so I’m glad to have so many salons. I’m WAY
    behind on getting my hair cut, and I think I’ll just have to take some time for myself, walk along High, and get it cut at the first place that can fit me in. Glad to have so many choices — all the more likely to have an opening available somewhere :)

TaraK
    Participant

While on the topic, do any of you have any recommendations for any of these salons?

I include fresh produce when I talk about basic groceries, since that’s what I personally buy just about every time I do grocery shopping. You guys don’t understand the big picture (hence the derailing accusation). The concentration of these specialized, high-end retail/service spots are too high, such as these bountiful expensive hair salons, while spots for everyday goods in the Short North is too low. They prevent a more 24/7 type of street vibrancy, which would also help keep the Short North safer with more eyes out, if you care to recall there was that robber who was threatening business owners here on quieter nights. The Short North outside of weekend nights can be quite dead. I’d just like our prized showpiece of a district to have a bit of activity outside of weekend nights, which more salons will not accomplish. Stick that in your pipes and smoke it.

Oak
    Participant

The concentration of salons isn’t a “bad” thing per se if you look at market forces. A concentration will create competition for a finite supply of consumers. Competition will cause the weaker salons with less perceived value to close, leaving us with salons with a product we value. It will also cause all of the salons to step up their game, pricing and products to create value. Theoretically, we (the consumer) should win assuming that the salons aren’t coordinated enough to get together and engage in some type of price fixing. I think it’s somewhat nice to have choice and not be forced to Max’s or Waldo’s if you want your hair styled (like you were a few years ago). However – with all that being said, I do think the Short North salon market is pretty saturated now with Jacob Neal moving into the south half of the space at High/Russell.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Columbusite wrote >>
    I include fresh produce when I talk about basic groceries, since that’s what I personally buy just about every time I do grocery shopping.

I do the same. I still say the north market and GE on Neal both have Produce, meat, eggs and milk.. again I don’t see your point.. I have no problem shopping at the GE and NM and I live at 6th and Highland..

Columbusite wrote >>
    You guys don’t understand the big picture (hence the derailing accusation). The concentration of these specialized, high-end retail/service spots are too high, such as these bountiful expensive hair salons, while spots for everyday goods in the Short North is too low. They prevent a more 24/7 type of street vibrancy, which would also help keep the Short North safer with more eyes out, if you care to recall there was that robber who was threatening business owners here on quieter nights. The Short North outside of weekend nights can be quite dead. I’d just like our prized showpiece of a district to have a bit of activity outside of weekend nights, which more salons will not accomplish. Stick that in your pipes and smoke it.

Seems to me there are quite a few people out in the short north even on weeknights.. The only way to have more is to have a “Broadway in Manhattan” level of density (which isn’t going to happen soon).

Density or not, I still don’t see where a full sized supermarket would fit on High without removing existing buildings or the failure of existing business. A bodega type market might work, but I doubt there’s enough need considering that there are a number of markets serving the area..

As far as hair salons, noone here is advocating more of them..

For my part, I’m guessing the market will sort that out…

beersie1
    Participant

Don’t forget the plans for the new Kroger store in the works just down the street. I feel the main need for a grocery store is downtown. But again, off topic.

WildmanDan

Also, if you are patient and wait for Dirty Franks to get all squared away and rolling: https://www.columbusunderground.com/ohioanna-all-star-market-coming-to-short-north

TaraK wrote >>
    While on the topic, do any of you have any recommendations for any of these salons?

Couple things:

1. Waldo’s is excellent, always has been, always will be.

2. Phia seems great, haven’t sent anyone, but they did a tremendous job on hair and makeup for the Halloween thing.

3. Jacob Neal is INSANELY overpriced.

4. The Max is a great shop, basically the edgiest, trendiest of the Penzone fold end up their to do their own thing.

gramarye
    Participant

Grocery stores and salons are almost never competing for the same real estate, anyway.

I didn’t notice a sudden bumper crop of hair salons when I was back for Gallery Hop this past weekend, but I wasn’t exactly looking that hard, either.

JonMyers
    Participant

Between 5th avenue and Gooddale there is about 8 salons.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

JonMyers wrote >>
    Between 5th avenue and Gooddale there is about 8 salons.

The question is how many of them will be there in 6 months.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: