Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Short North Panhandler Strange Incident

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Short North Panhandler Strange Incident

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 83 total)
  • Author

Cookie

vestanpance wrote what is the appropriate response if they come back and back after the cops tell them to leave?

Calling the cops again.

I’m not one for physical violence much either… I’m wondering what your solution is?

My favorite one is to ignore them. Works just fine for me.

mitchellosu

vestanpance wrote

Cookie wrote

Nothing the least bit feigned about it. I’ve had my fill of tough guys here who feel like physical violence is an appropriate response to panhandlers, aggressive or otherwise.

what is the appropriate response if they come back and back after the cops tell them to leave?

I’m not one for physical violence much either… I’m wondering what your solution is?

I agree. This isn’t just a panhandler. This is a potentially dangerous person behaving aggressively and threatening you at your home. How many of us have loved ones and pets that we live with and must protect? Imagine being in a situation where someone like that knows where you live and has threatened you. That can be a very dangerous situation.

misskitty
    Participant

mitchellosu wrote

vestanpance wrote

Cookie wrote

Nothing the least bit feigned about it. I’ve had my fill of tough guys here who feel like physical violence is an appropriate response to panhandlers, aggressive or otherwise.

what is the appropriate response if they come back and back after the cops tell them to leave?

I agree. This isn’t just a panhandler. This is a potentially dangerous person behaving aggressively and threatening you at your home. How many of us have loved ones and pets that we live with and must protect? Imagine being in a situation where someone like that knows where you live and has threatened you. That can be a very dangerous situation.

I agree And will add that I realize the police must be notified and I would do so. However if that fellow showed up at my door after he threatens me. I would most likely call the cops, if he did anything physically aggressive he would be eating a bat. If you are on my porch and get aggressive it’s on I got a little boy to watch over I would handle that situation (ala:a beating) someone before I let that situation near him.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

I would never, ever become physically violent with someone unless it was in self-defense. Tim would be just the guy to push it too far. In particular, he has regularly haunted several places I’ve worked at, and knows me by now. I am just scared shitless of him, and also feel really sad for him.

The few times the cops have responded to my call, he settles down and they tell him to just run along, or what have you.

I see him ALL the time and he freaks me the fuck out. But he is the only homeless (? who knows?) person I’ve ever had trouble with.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

It’s not legally self defense to attack someone on your porch. That’s why you have a front door with a lock on it.

If someone is breaching the door then, by all means… open fire.

Just call the cops. If he comes back call the cops again. If the cops have to come back twice they’re gonna take him to netcare or county lockup.

Speaking of cops: I heard something beautiful last night. Plainclothes surveillance totally red-handed busted some dudes breaking into a house on 11th ave. The idiots didn’t stand a chance.

Matthew
    Participant

Cookie wrote

vestanpance wrote what is the appropriate response if they come back and back after the cops tell them to leave?

Calling the cops again.

My favorite one is to ignore them. Works just fine for me.

Like I said, a person walks up on my porch and physically threatens me or my family and I’m going to respond in kind. I don’t call it thuggery, I call it standing my ground.

Cookie give us your number. Next time it happens we can call you and we’ll let you come show us how it should be done minus *fucking bullshit*, since you only take the high road.

Oh, and as far as being a tough boy. I’ve never been in a fist fight in my life. But just the thought of some thug hitting me up for money on my porch, then threatening me because I say no…..I don’t know if I’d be able to refrain from knocking him on his ass or not.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Matthew wrote

Like I said, a person walks up on my porch and physically threatens me or my family and I’m going to respond in kind. I don’t call it thuggery, I call it standing my ground.

If you actually go OUT your door to confront someone that is on your porch then you are liable to get arrested yourself. The castle doctrine does not extend to protecting your lawn chairs.

You can’t shoot someone breaking into your car either.

Paul
    Participant

Rockmastermike wrote

Matthew wrote

If you actually go OUT your door to confront someone that is on your porch then you are liable to get arrested yourself. The castle doctrine does not extend to protecting your lawn chairs.

You can’t shoot someone breaking into your car either.

We are far behind Texas with these laws, which is a shame.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Cookie wrote

mitchellosu wrote

Matthew wrote The ones knocking on doors, making threats etc, should be beaten down and handled “behind the garage” if the cops aren’t going to deal with it. I am the first to admit I have a temper. Let one walk up on my porch and threaten me, I’d be liable to knock his teeth out and act like he was trying to break in.

+1 for activism.

That’s not activism, that’s thuggery.

Actually, if someone is on your private property acting in a threatening manner who may or may not be mentally ill…I’d personally recommend avoiding the traditional activist ways such as sit in protests or painting a sign.

Bringing a physical deterrent to someone threatening your life, health, property and premises is hardly thuggery…unless you’re confused, and mean the guy who came onto his property was the thug.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Paul wrote

Look up texas caselaw and tell me if its legal to shoot someone who is committing a crime against property and isn’t actually posing a threat to anyone inside the house. I had not heard this had been changed.

Matthew
    Participant

Sheesh I should have been more specific. I meant if someone is standing in my doorway. If they are on the porch I’ll shut the door and call the cops. But if they are in my doorway with a finger in my face making threats….then its on.

I generally don’t open the door for strangers anyway though. I’ve always been one to hide from salesmen, Jehovahs, Mormons, etc.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

btw, while not suggesting shooting anyone, I dont’ think Matthew was either, and if I’m not mistaken…a trespasser who is aggressive and threatening violence on your yard can pretty much be beaten at will without you catching a case.

p.s. Speaking for myself, an aggressive panhandler in my yard, I’ll catch a case anyway.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Matthew wrote Sheesh I should have been more specific. I meant if someone is standing in my doorway. If they are on the porch I’ll shut the door and call the cops. But if they are in my doorway with a finger in my face making threats….then its on.

Oh yeah. I totally agree with you there then.

Ideally, I think you should be able to go beat the snot out of someone who is messing with your stuff, but legally, you gotta draw a line at the door. And really, crazy methed up drunks can be tough opponents.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Coremodels wrote if I’m not mistaken…a trespasser who is aggressive and threatening violence on your yard can pretty much be beaten at will without you catching a case.

I do think you may be wrong about that. But, realistically, I bet a lot of cops might be rather understanding about it.

Paul
    Participant

Rockmastermike wrote

Paul wrote

Look up texas caselaw and tell me if its legal to shoot someone who is committing a crime against property and isn’t actually posing a threat to anyone inside the house. I had not heard this had been changed.

http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/story?id=5278638&page=1

That is the specific case I was thinking of.

I’m not well-versed in the law itself.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 83 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: