Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Short North Panhandler Strange Incident

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Short North Panhandler Strange Incident

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 83 total)
  • Author

Cyclist

Andrew Hall wrote

His name is Tim, based on the description. He has been the subject of a lot of chatter on the Circles mailing list since he is well-known in that area. People used to have him do odd jobs, but then he turns abusive on them.

I believe there has been some discussion with the police and a case worker. I think he also has a record of assault, so caution is advised.

A.

Is this the same Tim who hangs out at Bodega everyday? Drinks out of the stella glass alot and smokes Marlboro Menthol 100’s. He’s generally friendly and inquisitive, but then kind of gets upset out of know where and walks away?

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

Andrew Hall wrote

Roland wrote There’s been a strange guy wandering around VV lately. He’s been knocking on doors and asking for money, food, or a ride someplace. I’ve had two encounters with him the past week and he seems completely unhinged. He’ll speak intelligently, and then suddenly snap and get loud and obnoxious.

It’s really hard to remain somewhat cordial since the guy is right in front of my house and I don’t want him shitting on my porch or worse!

People have been calling the police and when they arrive they tell him to leave. It’s one thing to deal with panhandlers on the street, but this guy is going house to house.

His name is Tim, based on the description. He has been the subject of a lot of chatter on the Circles mailing list since he is well-known in that area. People used to have him do odd jobs, but then he turns abusive on them.

I believe there has been some discussion with the police and a case worker. I think he also has a record of assault, so caution is advised.

A.

I know Tim, I’ve had to call the cops on him many times. He even followed me into the North Market once at night :shock: :shock: :shock: .

I’m usually really respectful and honest with homeless folks or panhandlers, but Tim’s a total asshole. I carry Mace because of Tim.

WildmanDan

Cyclist wrote

Andrew Hall wrote

A.

Is this the same Tim who hangs out at Bodega everyday? Drinks out of the stella glass alot and smokes Marlboro Menthol 100’s. He’s generally friendly and inquisitive, but then kind of gets upset out of know where and walks away?

I would love to keep that idiot banned from Bodega. I seen other people get banned from places due to drunken escapades. Seen him way past his limit a few times and they still let him back in.

Liosliath

A.

I know Tim, I’ve had to call the cops on him many times. He even followed me into the North Market once at night :shock: :shock: :shock: .

I’m usually really respectful and honest with homeless folks or panhandlers, but Tim’s a total asshole. I carry Mace because of Tim.

We encountered him, too – he was shouting and being extremely aggressive towards a girl who he felt had pulled out in front of him. I thought he was high – all crusty-mouthed and bug-eyed.

roy
    Participant

Amendments to the city’s aggressive panhandling law were passed 12/15 and should take effect soon. The new law will prohibit asking for money within proximity of parking meters and parking lots and will ban verbal begging after dark.

The service actually needed is for valet parking operators to secure private parking for the cars they park; soon the valet companies may find they are outlawed from parking cars in spaces intended for the general public. When that occurs, regular motorists won’t have to compete with the shenanigans of valet permit holders and more parking will be available to regular visitors and customers.

mitchellosu

Matthew wrote The ones knocking on doors, making threats etc, should be beaten down and handled “behind the garage” if the cops aren’t going to deal with it. I am the first to admit I have a temper. Let one walk up on my porch and threaten me, I’d be liable to knock his teeth out and act like he was trying to break in.

+1 for activism. That type of behavior only happens because the bum/transient in question thinks (any possible mental health issues aside) he can get away with it and won’t face repercussions.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

roy wrote The service actually needed is for valet parking operators to secure private parking for the cars they park; soon the valet companies may find they are outlawed from parking cars in spaces intended for the general public. When that occurs, regular motorists won’t have to compete with the shenanigans of valet permit holders and more parking will be available to regular visitors and customers.

This is a way bigger problem than panhandling IMO. I hate those guys. I had the one at Due Amici print “no parking” on a brown paper bag and put it on a meter. I took it off and handed it back to him.

Cookie

mitchellosu wrote

Matthew wrote The ones knocking on doors, making threats etc, should be beaten down and handled “behind the garage” if the cops aren’t going to deal with it. I am the first to admit I have a temper. Let one walk up on my porch and threaten me, I’d be liable to knock his teeth out and act like he was trying to break in.

+1 for activism.

That’s not activism, that’s thuggery.

Paul
    Participant

Cookie wrote

mitchellosu wrote

+1 for activism.

That’s not activism, that’s thuggery.

Thuggery activism is still a form of activism.

Often the most effective.

Ref. Merriam-Webster:

Main Entry: ac·tiv·ism

Pronunciation: ˈak-ti-ˌvi-zəm

Function: noun

: a doctrine or practice that emphasizes direct vigorous action especially in support of or opposition to one side of a controversial issue

Cookie

Paul wrote That’s not activism, that’s thuggery.

Ref. Merriam-Webster:

: a doctrine or practice that emphasizes direct vigorous action especially in support of or opposition to one side of a controversial issue

Allow me to be more specific. That’s fucking bullshit.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

michaelcoyote wrote I had the one at Due Amici print “no parking” on a brown paper bag and put it on a meter. I took it off and handed it back to him.

yeah. i noticed they were clearly bagging meters they had not actually paid to bag. if they had paid to bag 4 they would have had 4 orange bags, not 2.

I think they got busted and fined, ’cause the last time I was there they actually did have 4 official orange bags.

mitchellosu

Cookie wrote

Paul wrote That’s not activism, that’s thuggery.

Ref. Merriam-Webster:

Allow me to be more specific. That’s fucking bullshit.

The comment was somewhat tongue in cheek, but at least you got a chance to feign indignation.

Cookie wrote Oh the HORROR of it all!

Cookie

mitchellosu wrote The comment was somewhat tongue in cheek, but at least you got a chance to feign indignation.

Nothing the least bit feigned about it. I’ve had my fill of tough guys here who feel like physical violence is an appropriate response to panhandlers, aggressive or otherwise.

mitchellosu

Cookie wrote

mitchellosu wrote The comment was somewhat tongue in cheek, but at least you got a chance to feign indignation.

Nothing the least bit feigned about it. I’ve had my fill of tough guys here who feel like physical violence is an appropriate response to panhandlers, aggressive or otherwise.

Is your name Tim because you seem to be taking this very personally.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Cookie wrote

what is the appropriate response if they come back and back after the cops tell them to leave?

I’m not one for physical violence much either… I’m wondering what your solution is?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 83 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: