Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Short North Panhandler Strange Incident

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Short North Panhandler Strange Incident

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

joev wrote The “services” they provide are nothing anyone has asked for.

Well, actually, you see three people right in this thread who find real value in that service (and I’m sure there are more).

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Roland wrote There’s been a strange guy wandering around VV lately. He’s been knocking on doors and asking for money, food, or a ride someplace. I’ve had two encounters with him the past week and he seems completely unhinged. He’ll speak intelligently, and then suddenly snap and get loud and obnoxious.

It’s really hard to remain somewhat cordial since the guy is right in front of my house and I don’t want him shitting on my porch or worse!

People have been calling the police and when they arrive they tell him to leave. It’s one thing to deal with panhandlers on the street, but this guy is going house to house.

where in VV is this happening? I’m in HW and have not seen this.

misskitty
    Participant

vestanpance wrote

Roland wrote There’s been a strange guy wandering around VV lately. He’s been knocking on doors and asking for money, food, or a ride someplace. I’ve had two encounters with him the past week and he seems completely unhinged. He’ll speak intelligently, and then suddenly snap and get loud and obnoxious.

It’s really hard to remain somewhat cordial since the guy is right in front of my house and I don’t want him shitting on my porch or worse!

People have been calling the police and when they arrive they tell him to leave. It’s one thing to deal with panhandlers on the street, but this guy is going house to house.

Thats fucking creepy ! I just watched that movie The Strangers now I would be extra creeped out :lol:

Cyclist

joev wrote These people are bums. The “services” they provide are nothing anyone has asked for. They don’t deserve help from anyone because they aren’t seeking help in the right channels and generally don’t want to seek treatment for their addictions. If you want to help the homeless, go volunteer at Faith Mission or another shelter. Giving a bottle of Seagram’s is really unconcionable. Way to perpetuate the problem (and train the guy to beg outside of a liquor store.)

:roll: You are such an expert on the human condition.

I want to go talk to these gentlemen this weekend and have them respond to your above statement.

Would you consider me a bum for earning beer by using the speed of my bicycle to fill a parking meter downtown for someone? Its a service that was never asked by many, and it might be illegal or against parking rules, but its a service all right.

Cookie

Cyclist wrote Would you consider me a bum for earning beer by using the speed of my bicycle to fill a parking meter downtown for someone?

There are many valid reasons to consider you a bum, but based on the above sentence, I would simply consider you incoherent.

Roland
    Participant

vestanpance wrote

I’ve seen him between Neil and High on the Northern end of VV.

joev
    Participant

+1, Cookie. Cyclist, I would consider you a bum because you seem to survive by scavenging/mooching rather than doing much anything productive, save the community tricycle cart thing, which is pretty cool.

Matthew
    Participant

joev wrote +1, Cookie. Cyclist, I would consider you a bum because you seem to survive by scavenging/mooching rather than doing much anything productive, save the community tricycle cart thing, which is pretty cool.

With all due respect. In one thread you rant about how wealthy people are inherently evil and deserving of mistreatment based on something….I forget what. Now in this thread you say people living on the street don’t deserve help unless they seek the righteous path.

I say the next time you go to judge anyone try walking a day or two in their shoes first.

Ps. A lot of those bums have mental health conditions that got them on the streets to begin with. I’m not sure they can just magically cure themselves to seek the right channels.

blammo
    Participant

Roland wrote

vestanpance wrote

I’ve seen him between Neil and High on the Northern end of VV.

does he ride a mountain bike by any chance? theres a guy bumming around my area that went from casual conversation to violently threatening while talking to my neighbor last week. (he asked him for some money & when he got turned down, he told my neighbor “he would be watching him and he was going to make him pay”).

I don’t care if anyone thinks I’m passing judgement on these jerks…ok, i admit it, I am. if you make the neighborhood a worse place by your presence you aren’t getting any sympathy (or financial assistance) from me.

joev
    Participant

Matthew wrote

With all due respect. In one thread you rant about how wealthy people are inherently evil and deserving of mistreatment based on something….I forget what. Now in this thread you say people living on the street don’t deserve help unless they seek the righteous path.

I say the next time you go to judge anyone try walking a day or two in their shoes first.

Ps. A lot of those bums have mental health conditions that got them on the streets to begin with. I’m not sure they can just magically cure themselves to seek the right channels.

I’m not sure where your recollection comes from. I do support the rich paying higher taxes – I don’t think they should be “mistreated.”

I do think that homeless people deserve help. Of course they do. These particular shysters don’t deserve to get compensation for harassing people. They are coherent enough to try to hustle money, cigarettes and alcohol out of passersby. If they really cared enough about themselves, there are plentiful opportunities to get help and straighten out. But those opportunities usually involve substance abuse treatment, and some people prefer drinking and drugging to having a roof over their heads – at that point, it’s not society’s fault anymore. People who give thse guys money or booze are perpetuating the problem rather than alleviating it.

And I do know that mental illness is partially to blame in many/most of these circumstances. I think mental health should be covered by Medicaid at parity with physical illness. There are mental health treatment programs at many shelters. The help is there – some people just don’t want it.

Matthew
    Participant

Oh, I wasn’t making a point about criminal behaviour from these people.

My point was primarily based in what was said about the guy outside Utrecht. He thinks he’s offering a service, and maybe he is. I would try to see what he and others like him go through in life to get to that point before throwing out a blanket statement that they deserve what they got.

The ones knocking on doors, making threats etc, should be beaten down and handled “behind the garage” if the cops aren’t going to deal with it. I am the first to admit I have a temper. Let one walk up on my porch and threaten me, I’d be liable to knock his teeth out and act like he was trying to break in.

heresthecasey
    Participant

This past Saturday i was accosted several (three-four times) along High street by a cross-dressing panhandler in very large shoes. He/she repeatedly asked me and my friends for change for food, once even while we were eating a crave case from White Castle outside by the parking lot between Starr/2nd. When we offered them a few burgers he/she got very indignant and mad, said they really weren’t hungry, and stomped off. Later (about 15-20 minutes) same person, same story, back hungry again, no recollection.

Kind of a crazy incidence, but hey i guess white castle isnt for everyone. :wink:

Cyclist

joev wrote +1, Cookie. Cyclist, I would consider you a bum because you seem to survive by scavenging/mooching rather than doing much anything productive, save the community tricycle cart thing, which is pretty cool.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That’s a laugh!

Andrew Hall

His name is Tim, based on the description. He has been the subject of a lot of chatter on the Circles mailing list since he is well-known in that area. People used to have him do odd jobs, but then he turns abusive on them.

I believe there has been some discussion with the police and a case worker. I think he also has a record of assault, so caution is advised.

A.

We walk High Street in VV almost daily. We don’t have real problems. Although I am a friendly person by nature, and make eye contact and smile. I do not do this with panhandlers. I do not engage them. I don’t make eye contact. I continue walking. If they ask something, I say “no”, without stopping. If they then say something insulting, I don’t look back.

This is not because I see myself as superior or anything. I simply am going about my business, and not going to have an impact on that person’s life at that moment anyway, so I’m not going to get into something that could escalate or encourage them to continue trying. We have relatives from Richwood that are always commenting on the panhandlers when they visit. They will verbally respond to panhandlers, and I find this to be much less respectful of them as human beings, not to mention more likely to escalate the situation. If the person is crazy, who knows how they will respond. If not crazy, then this person is in a bad situation for whatever reason, and the underlying anger may come out if you insist on pushing the issue.

I would have said nothing more than no to the odd person with the bag.

I do hope the police will address anything actually violent, but it doesn’t sound like this is happening much (spit once – which should have been reported).

ETA

The guy knocking on doors is a different story, and hopefully calling the cops or his case worker will eventually address this. It’s a more unusual case than just panhandlers on the street…

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 83 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: