Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Short North Panhandler Strange Incident

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Short North Panhandler Strange Incident

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 83 total)
  • Author

blammo
    Participant

Just tell him you’d be happy to “watch his bag for him” and see how he reacts.

Perhaps it’s possible to out-weird these guys into submission.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

blammo wrote out-weird these guys into submission.

THAT is a podcast/CU Meetup/adventure gone awry I’d participate in any time.

Cyclist

blammo wrote Just tell him you’d be happy to “watch his bag for him” and see how he reacts.

Perhaps it’s possible to out-weird these guys into submission.

Its one of my hobbies.

Ndcent

I feel like the guy would be best off if he jumped in front of a fast moving bus.

blammo
    Participant

It would be interesting to see Columbus adopt a “100% Weirdness” policy towards dealing with panhandlers, and just incorporate surrealist approaches with all interactions. When asked for money or confronted by one of those “parking attendants” I try to respond by providing an answer to an unrelated question of my choosing.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

blammo wrote those “parking attendants”

I love those guys actually. I pay them more than valets normally (at least a 5) because they truly provide me with a service.

blammo
    Participant

Coremodels wrote

I love those guys actually. I pay them more than valets normally (at least a 5) because they truly provide me with a service.

ah, fuck ’em. I’m not going to pay someone the for privilege of parking at a metered space.

now if i could call one of those guys in advance of heading to the short north, and ask him to find me open spot and just act nuts in it and keep other people away until I get there…now THAT is something worth tipping for.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

blammo wrote It would be interesting to see Columbus adopt a “100% Weirdness” policy towards dealing with panhandlers, and just incorporate surrealist approaches with all interactions. When asked for money or confronted by one of those “parking attendants” I try to respond by providing an answer to an unrelated question of my choosing.

Joey told me once that he makes the imaginary cell phone with his fingers and starts chatting loudly on it when approached by crazies.

Good stuff.

laChewla
    Participant

Cyclist wrote

bayrea wrote

Cyclist wrote This guys sounds like a fun guy to hang out with. Never know what to expect! :lol:

Maybe you should shadow him..

I’ll talk to him if I see him. What a mysterious man? How interesting, How bizarre!?

That cab has a dent in it. And another dent here – and another dent here.

I’m not colorblind, am I?

Cyclist

Coremodels wrote

Yeah, those guys are alright, I smoked a cigarette with them once, but they certainly were not weird, mostly predictable and boring.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

blammo wrote It would be interesting to see Columbus adopt a “100% Weirdness” policy towards dealing with panhandlers, and just incorporate surrealist approaches with all interactions. When asked for money or confronted by one of those “parking attendants” I try to respond by providing an answer to an unrelated question of my choosing.

Yes. This is also the way I enjoy responding to Jehovah’s Witnesses.

“What’s that you say? God? Oh, He’s right here (picks up cat)!”

Roland
    Participant

There’s been a strange guy wandering around VV lately. He’s been knocking on doors and asking for money, food, or a ride someplace. I’ve had two encounters with him the past week and he seems completely unhinged. He’ll speak intelligently, and then suddenly snap and get loud and obnoxious.

It’s really hard to remain somewhat cordial since the guy is right in front of my house and I don’t want him shitting on my porch or worse!

People have been calling the police and when they arrive they tell him to leave. It’s one thing to deal with panhandlers on the street, but this guy is going house to house.

dru
    Participant

Coremodels wrote

the guy next to Utrecht actually does his job on busy nights, he’ll flag a space and make sure the first one in the lot gets it. for that, i think the man deserves my dollar. the lot next to Mac’s seems to have guys who think sitting on the wall is the service. there is no dollar for that.

The Wayfarer
    Participant

dru wrote

Coremodels wrote

the guy next to Utrecht actually does his job on busy nights, he’ll flag a space and make sure the first one in the lot gets it. for that, i think the man deserves my dollar. the lot next to Mac’s seems to have guys who think sitting on the wall is the service. there is no dollar for that.

I love him. I always make it a point to give him a few dollars (and the occasional bottle of Seagram’s from nearby Europia :D).

Anyone ever catch his name? Story?

joev
    Participant

These people are bums. The “services” they provide are nothing anyone has asked for. They don’t deserve help from anyone because they aren’t seeking help in the right channels and generally don’t want to seek treatment for their addictions. If you want to help the homeless, go volunteer at Faith Mission or another shelter. Giving a bottle of Seagram’s is really unconcionable. Way to perpetuate the problem (and train the guy to beg outside of a liquor store.)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 83 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: