Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Short North needs a bookstore!

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat Short North needs a bookstore!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

I just moved to the Short North from the Clintonville area. Everything is within walking distance except for a decent bookstore. I feel like if there were one, I’d be complete.

Anyone agree?

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

South Campus Gateway Barnes & Noble is pretty close…

chaptal
    Participant

The Short North had several incarnations of An Open Book before it finally shut down.

dredd

I have often felt the same. The Barnes and Noble is the closest and you can take the bus right there. Or ride a bike whilst following all traffic laws.

Cookie

Is Monkey’s Retreat too far north or too specialized?

turnedNOTburned
    Participant

I would think it would have to be either 1.) More than a bookstore 2.) super highly specialized, i.e., book collectors, etc. As mentioned above, its almost impossible to compete with the big box stores above. I would think that some kinda partnership between a coffee shop, and a specialty book place would be the perfect marriage (kinda like what Northstar is doing).

catnfiddle
    Participant

How would another branch of Half Price books fare in a Short North location? I love the one near me!

catnfiddle wrote >>
    How would another branch of Half Price books fare in a Short North location? I love the one near me!

That really would be ideal.

Anne wrote >>
    South Campus Gateway Barnes & Noble is pretty close…

Ehh yeah, I suppose.
    I just think a cute little bookstore (that isn’t something huge like a barnes and noble) would be nice. Plus, I hate being on campus.

Mercurius
    Participant

Something like this[/url] would be most fine.

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

There is a great bookstore just north of King…it’s called the library. You can have books from the entire county system delivered to your branch….also the anarchist kids have the Sporeprint lending library at 5th ave between Summit and N. 4th….

otherwise the small independent bookstore is doomed, going the way of small pharmacies, hardware stores, record stores….the market is gone, betwenn Amazon, online speciality retailers, and the corporate chains there ain’t enough oxygen left for the little guys.

I still love SBX and it is a good excuse to walk up to campus. The sale book rack is where I have found some of my favorite books.

Brant
    Participant

^ Sad, but true. Remember Liberty Books & News on Lane Ave? That was a great store, and it only lasted like two years.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

turnedNOTburned wrote >>
    I would think it would have to be either 1.) More than a bookstore 2.) super highly specialized, i.e., book collectors, etc. As mentioned above, its almost impossible to compete with the big box stores above. I would think that some kinda partnership between a coffee shop, and a specialty book place would be the perfect marriage (kinda like what Northstar is doing).

Or Kafe Keruoc (spelling horribly butchered)

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

I want a Powell’s.

ZHC

lazyfish wrote >>
    otherwise the small independent bookstore is doomed, going the way of small pharmacies, hardware stores, record stores….the market is gone, between Amazon, online specialty retailers, and the corporate chains there ain’t enough oxygen left for the little guys.

I’d say that’s more than a bit oversimplistic.

The main problem with any would be general merch retailer whether it’s pharmacy, a hardware store, a bookseller, a grocery etc in the short north is the three critical ones of space size, lack of proximate parking and high rent.
    Any bookseller would probably want a lot of space (probably in excess of 5,000 sq feet), a fair amount of close parking and low rent. The Short North has very very spaces that have any of those three criteria.

I think it’s doable if you get the right space up there, you probably have the demos to support one. TurnedNOTburned has the right idea, most successful indies I’ve encountered have some sort of niche/specialty anymore.

It’s my understanding that independent bookseller’s actually gained market share from 2004-2007. I don’t know what’s happened since then. But to call them doomed is certainly premature.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: