Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Parking Meters - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Parking Meters – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 62 total)
  • Author

Geno99
    Participant

No longer an issue for me. Bus down, and Car2go or Uber back home.

Pablo
    Participant

Just noticed new parking meters on N. High between the McDonald’s and Buckeye Donuts in the campus area. There might have been more elsewhere but I saw these only because they were in use (and it was dark). This should help businesses in the area – I know I would use them.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

I am just waiting for them to install cameras in the meters to take photos of cars parked at the meters the moment the time expires. An automated system that collects evidence of the violation. The meter transmits the data to the central office to get processed and for a citation to get issued. You could also program the meter so that if a car parked there leaves, the time automatically resets to 0 time left. If they want to be fair, they could also make certain that the charge to your credit card indicates the date, time, and location of the purchase…so that the buyer has evidence just in case the system screws up.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

hugh59 said:
    I am just waiting for them to install cameras in the meters to take photos of cars parked at the meters the moment the time expires. An automated system that collects evidence of the violation. The meter transmits the data to the central office to get processed and for a citation to get issued.

Also: the meter prints a little ticket, folds it into a paper airplane, and aims it for your windshield wiper. ;)

buckeyecpa
    Participant

Pablo said:
    Just noticed new parking meters on N. High between the McDonald’s and Buckeye Donuts in the campus area. There might have been more elsewhere but I saw these only because they were in use (and it was dark). This should help businesses in the area – I know I would use them.

This is poor planning. Cars will be parked there during peak times even if they know they’ll be ticketed. There were three cars parked at the meters yesterday around 5. This area is already congested enough during rush hour.

News
    Participant

Frozen Parking Meters Causing Problems For People Trying To Pay
    Saturday January 18, 2014 7:53 PM

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Parking in downtown Columbus is a daily challenge in itself, but when the meters don’t work, some say there’s a whole new set of problems.

These are people trying to do the right thing, abide by the law, and pay for the time they’re parked in the marked spaces, but when it’s cold and starts to snow, a simple swipe isn’t so simple anymore.

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2014/01/18/columbus-broken-parking-meters-causing-problems-for-people-trying-to-pay.html

roy
    Participant

Columbus officials: No ‘gotcha’ culture regarding parking tickets

SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 2, 2014 05:53 AM
    Ken Cassady is either the fastest parking officer in Columbus, or he’s the strictest. The more than $2 million in parking-ticket fines he has issued since the city hired him in August 2011 suggest he is both. Since then, Cassady has written a ticket an average of every five minutes on every working day. With an annual salary of $34,000 a year, he might be the city’s best investment.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2014/02/02/no-gotcha-culture-officials-say-but-concerns-grow-about-tickets.html

M.O.
    Participant

All that revenue and the schmuck only makes 34k a year. The joke’s on him.

ehill27
    Participant

^ Of course, incentivizing tickets would ensure a ‘gotcha’ culture.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Sounds like a good reason to plant permanent meters on Third, Fourth, High and Front through Downtown. It’s getting harder and hard to park only Gay Street. :P

M.O.
    Participant

ehill27 said:
    ^ Of course, incentivizing tickets would ensure a ‘gotcha’ culture.

The Dispatch did an unusually fine job of subtly calling-out their “no gotcha” line with the anecdotes about meter Samaritans being told to find someplace else to spend their quarters.

JeepGirl
    Participant

“60 different ways to get parking tickets in Columbus” says it all.

Well, that plus the statement that the city is considering adding images that can be scanned with a smartphone to take a customer to an explanatory website.

Really Columbus? The system is so complex that you feel people may need to research parking rules on the web? While standing at the meter?

Sounds like a ton of gotcha opportunities for the city.

News
    Participant

More Parking Meters Added to High Street Downtown
    July 26, 2014 11:13 am – Walker Evans

Another set of parking meters were added to High Street late last week on the west side of block between Gay Street and Long Street. The area was previously home to a busy south-bound COTA bus stop located mid-block that was eliminated recently in a move to speed up bus service. The stop was deemed an unnecessary one as other stops exist both a block north and a block south.

READ MORE: http://www.columbusunderground.com/more-parking-meters-added-to-high-street-downtown

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

^ The new meters have had a tremendously positive impact for downtown small businesses and our customers. Big thanks to DPS.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

^ The new meters have had a tremendously positive impact for downtown small businesses and our customers. Big thanks to DPS.

Good to hear. I know I’ve used them quite a bit when running errands. They make it so much easier! ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 62 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: