Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Parking Meters - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Parking Meters – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

The smart meters are here! The smart meters are here!

New Credit Card Parking Meters to Roll Out in 2011:

New Credit Card Parking Meters Roll Out in 2011

Core_Models

Looks like permit parking may go away too…

catnfiddle
    Participant

Core_Models wrote >>

Does that include the two-wheeled permits?

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

They put in credit card meters on Gay street a while ago for a short time. I guess that was a test. Now they are back…probably to stay. I try not to park downtown anymore…it gets too expensive.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Yes, the old meters on Gay Street were a test phase. Same with the credit card kiosks that were in the Short North for a short while.

Core_Models

catnfiddle wrote >>

Core_Models wrote >>

Does that include the two-wheeled permits?

http://www.10tv.com/live/content/local/stories/2010/12/30/story-columbus-short-north-parking.html?sid=102

Some commissioners from the Italian Village and Victorian Architectural Review commissions are considering a plan that may help ease parking problems in the Short North.

The plan involves temporarily suspending restrictive parking, 10TV’s Jason Frazer reported.

Drivers are currently not allowed to park on side streets because of the restricted parking.

“Many of the residents don’t have off-street parking,” said Larry Totzke of the Italian Village Society. “They don’t have garages. The only place they can park is out in front of their home.”

Looks like a temporary thing, removing resident parking permits.

cc

It looks temporary, but I think that having so much residential parking restrictions in IV has actually hurt the area. I hope that they use this as an opportunity to take another look at the long term strategy.

ohiogirlie74

We live on 4th Ave near Summit (dead-ending into Skully’s) and we know better than to dare move our cars on Thursdays or Hop nights. Which, is ok, but when drunken rowdy revelers stumble back to their cars parked on my street, their DD (I pray they have them) can’t always stop them from kicking our trash bins into the road or other ass-hattery. Some nights I wish for permit parking and meters for visitors on that street. Party parking in residential areas is just bad news. (Are permits in effect during fun-night-out hours?).

Also, the reader comments on that 10tv story link about smart meters make me want to cry.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

News
    Participant

Coins preferred with new parking meters
    By Brin Kerkhoff
    Published: Monday, January 9, 2012

It has now been more than a year since the city of Columbus replaced about 1,000 coin-operated parking meters with meters that accept coins and credit cards, but many Ohio State students aren’t using the credit card option.

Many of these new meters can be found around campus and seem to be having little affect on students, as they prefer coins.

READ MORE: http://www.thelantern.com/campus/coins-preferred-with-new-parking-meters-1.2739264#.TwxVcZg9noQ

News
    Participant

Press Release:
    September 16, 2013
    City of Columbus To Start Next Phase of Smart Parking Meter Installations On Wednesday

The Department of Public Service will begin its next phase of parking meter upgrades on Wednesday, September 18. As part of the next phase, the City will complete the conversion of its parking meter fleet from old coins-only meters to smart meters that take credit cards, debit cards and coins by the end of December. The City’s parking meter fleet total approximately 4,800 meters.

The next phase of the upgrades will include installation of smart meters to replace the last 1,800 coins-only meters located in the Columbus College of Art and Design and Columbus State Community College areas and parts of The Hilltop. In addition, the Department of Public Service will start to upgrade the City’s existing smart meters with a more advanced model. The new model features a screen that is 20 percent larger than the smart meters currently in use in Columbus, making them easier to read. About 900 of the more advanced model of meters will be installed in areas with the highest meter usage, including:
    · The Arena District

· The North Market area

· The Short North

Replacement of the 1,800 remaining coins-only meters with first generation smart meters and installation of the first 900 advanced model smart meters will be completed by December 31. The City will continue to install the advanced model smart meters next year, with completion anticipated in the fall of 2014, weather permitting.

The City’s multi-phase conversion of its approximately 4,800 parking meters to smart meters began in January 2011. The smart meters are powered by batteries that are solar-rechargeable, weather permitting.

The smart meters installed over the last three years have replaced the City’s aging fleet of old coins-only parking meters that had been in service since 1999. The frequency of repairs to the old coins-only meter fleet had increased in recent years as the average effective lifetime of a parking meter is no more than 10 years.

In addition to debit and credit cards and coins, smart meters will also take pre-paid parking cards that are sold by the City. Motorists have two choices when purchasing pre-paid parking cards for use on the new smart meters:

· Rechargeable cards that carry a maximum balance of $50. After drawing down the balance to pay for parking at the new smart meters, motorists can put additional dollars up to $50 on the cards by visiting the Parking Violations Bureau at the city’s Impound Lot at 2700 Impound Lot Road

· Non-rechargeable cards available in denominations of $25, $50 and $100 that can be discarded after the entire balance is used. Non-rechargeable card users are encouraged to dispose of the used cards at any recycling location.

Pre-paid parking meters cards are sold at 50 West Gay Street, on the first floor, and at the Parking Violations Bureau at the City’s Impound Lot at 2700 Impound Lot Road. The parking meter cards can be purchased with cash or credit cards. Due to newer technology, the new meter cards will not work in the old coins-only meters. Customers who have old coins-only meter cards can transfer the balance on their old cards to a new smart meter card free-of-charge by visiting the Parking Violations Bureau at 2700 Impound Lot Road.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

FYI – Front Street meters south of Broad in the Supreme Court block are maxing out at 2 hours despite the 3 hour limit that is clearly posted.

Waiting to see what comes of my ticket…

peter
    Participant

Parking Violations Bureau at the city’s Impound Lot at 2700 Impound Lot Road

Sounds like a charming destination.

Rocknrolloutlaws
    Participant

I parked at one of the “more advanced” models of meters tonight. And park-er beware, these “improved” meters are improved in a significantly underhanded way: they are designed to take advantage of the unobservant user. They will accept credit card payment beyond the 10 p.m. cut off limit. That is, they’ll allow you to put in the full 3 hours of time even if that 3 hours extends beyond 10 p.m..

Sure, you can pay attention when you’re paying–but with the old credit card meters you didn’t have to do that. The old ones wouldn’t accept payment beyond the cut off point. If you KNOW that they’re going to take advantage of you, then you’ll pay attention. But if you’re used to the old system, you may get caught over paying. I know I did.

Let this be a warning to others.

It does just show that the disregard for the public that animated the change in parking rates from the beginning continues to this day. It’s just a bit more subtle.

roy
    Participant

City hall monitors CU and I’m hoping this thread captures the attention of public service director Tracie Davies; the meter heads can be easily adjusted to eliminate the consumer scam R&ROutlaws described.

City council approved purchasing the newest smart meter heads with the understanding that they would not improperly accept coins or cards. Director Davies can order the meter heads re-set immediately, it’s as simple as a phone call, and I’ll be curious how she handles this, many believe her to be a person of integrity, a refreshing addition to the mayor’s cabinet. Fix the meters, Director.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 62 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION