Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Parking Meters - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Parking Meters – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 62 total)
  • Author

DR
    Participant

Just a FYI…Meters in the Short North are being extended to 10 PM right now. They will finish by the end of this week with the change over. Tell anyone you know that frequents the SN.

cc

They updated Grandview Ave also.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I’m curious how this will impact non-restaurant/bar retailers. Will Short North retail opt to stay open later if they have meters that are turning over customers longer into the evening?

DR
    Participant

Good question…It’s really annoying to go somewhere only to find that they close at 7 and to walk down the street on a Monday and find everything closed.

I also wonder if the “evil” valets will be feeding meters now or just take up more parking in Goodale Park…Hmmm

OH and Only the meters along the park were changed today. I thought they would have done High street today too but they seem to have just done Goodale, Grandview Ave., and Park street today.

zachgs
    Participant

They’ve finished around the park and most of the side streets off of high. I’m not sure about High St itself.

Maybe this has already been discussed but are they just blanketing everywhere with 3hrs and 25c = 20 min? I thought they were going to be adjusted by street. The formerly 12 hr meters by the park are now 3hrs and the formerly 2hr meters on Poplar are now 3hrs. This is a more extreme change than I originally understood. Maybe it will open up parking? Who knows, I saw a lot more tickets than usual by the park tonight so I guess the change is already paying off.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

zachgs wrote >>
    Maybe this has already been discussed but are they just blanketing everywhere with 3hrs and 25c = 20 min?

Sorta. I think the Short North is going to end up being pretty uniform with 3hr meters, but other areas of the city will vary. My understanding is that the variety of meter rates was trimmed and consolidated to make things a little less confusing.

From Here:

Parking Meter Rates Being Updated, Hours Extended

The new rates are as follows: 30 minute meters at $1.00 per hour; Two, three and six hour meters at $0.75 per hour; and 12 hour meters at $0.40 per hour.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Oh, also… looked like the meters around the North Market were changed over, as I saw them running around 7:15pm tonight.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Parking-meter changes altering some habits
    Sunday, August 1, 2010
    BY BEN WOLFORD
    The Columbus Dispatch

A third of Columbus’ parking meters now have new rates, time limits or hours, pleasing those who pay less and ruffling routines for those whose favorite spots cost more.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2010/08/01/Parking-meter-changes-impact.html?sid=101

Sallycbus

The parking meters are starting to confuse me. Seems like every time I put in money, it does not go very far. And since I don’t often carry $40 in quarters in my car, the parking is a hassle where I sometimes just avoid SN businesses. It’s a shame I sometimes can’t get out and park my car so I can go spend money at Haiku, Betty’s or Bernards Tavern at night.

ja

where are you from?

ja

Sallycbus wrote >>
    The parking meters are starting to confuse me. Seems like every time I put in money, it does not go very far. And since I don’t often carry $40 in quarters in my car, the parking is a hassle where I sometimes just avoid SN businesses. It’s a shame I sometimes can’t get out and park my car so I can go spend money at Haiku, Betty’s or Bernards Tavern at night.

where are you from? and where do you go in large metropolitan cities for free/cheap parking?

Sallycbus

If I’m in a large metropolitain city, normally I would take a cab because I’m at a hotel or something. But the cabs in Columbus are outrageously expensive and it’s a long haul for me.

arualpalm
    Participant

Larger metropolitan cities (Miami, D.C., even OSU) have the lovely machines where you can use your credit card and dollar bills to pay; you then receive a receipt to place on your dashboard showing how long you have to park until.

Most people don’t walk around with $3 worth of quarters anymore.

arualpalm
    Participant

Larger metropolitan cities (Miami, D.C., even OSU) have the lovely machines where you can use your credit card and dollar bills to pay; you then receive a receipt to place on your dashboard showing how long you have to park until.

Most people don’t walk around with $3 worth of quarters anymore.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Part of the recent parking meter updates includes the rollout of the credit card meters that were tested last year on Gay Street.

Not sure when we’ll see them in action, but I’d guess sometime within the next 6 months seems pretty likely.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 62 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION