Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Short North Donatos Demolition and New Build

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Short North Donatos Demolition and New Build

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 98 total)
  • Author

wpcc88
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>wpcc88 wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>lbl wrote:</div><br>
    with the more recent upward trend happening in the SN, wonder if they have any regrets about the reserved scale of this project – since its such a prime corner location. they could’ve put another 3 floors of office space, etc.

This is kind of a unique corner though, not a lot of height or density because of the way the street is setup and the existing buildings. If you look a few blocks down at Fireproof you have a completely different situation because of the existing buildings in each direction. I think I would personally be more disappointed if the check cashing place gets replaced with something less than 3-4 stories than this one because it fits into the fabric of the existing corner.

The Brunner Building, a 6-story building is about to be built immediately adjacent. Donatos will look small next to it.

Yes and then you have the two story Rossi and one story Grandview Merchantile building occupying the rest of the block. Not to mention the suburb-esque plaza(until the Wood Companies get to round two of that project) and UDF occupying the other two corners. Not everything can be 3+ stories and I just think that this will “fit” for years to come and is an improvement from what is already there.

lbl
    Participant

This is kind of a unique corner though, not a lot of height or density because of the way the street is setup and the existing buildings. If you look a few blocks down at Fireproof you have a completely different situation because of the existing buildings in each direction. I think I would personally be more disappointed if the check cashing place gets replaced with something less than 3-4 stories than this one because it fits into the fabric of the existing corner.

The Brunner Building, a 6-story building is about to be built immediately adjacent. Donatos will look small next to it.
    [/quote]

yeah, that’s what I was thinking – within a year or two, the other new builds would make this look so small.

wpcc88
    Participant

[/quote]

yeah, that’s what I was thinking – within a year or two, the other new builds would make this look so small.
    [/quote]

If you look at the it though there will be a two story building on either side of the new Brunner building. I neglected to include that in my original response, which would’ve made my “fabric” response a little more fitting. From the elevations released this project is going to feel like a tall two stories, almost like a short three if that makes sense. Not to mention it is going to be right on the sidewalk, so it’s presence will be felt imo.

lbl
    Participant

and i can imagine with the unique design of this building, it will stand out, or not blend in, with any surrounding new builds.
    which will help a great deal.

Pablo
    Participant

Looks like the new building is open and the old Donatos is fenced off, awaiting demolition.

_calebross
    _calebross
    Participant

Looks like the new building is open and the old Donatos is fenced off, awaiting demolition.

That’s definitely new news, the old Donatos was being used for Gallery Hop this past weekend, but the new one looked completed. Guess it’s ready to go!

Josh Bauman
    Josh Bauman
    Participant

Would love some photos of the exterior/interior if anyone gets a chance!

Pro Se
    Participant

Great news. Maybe this will free up Wood to start on the building next door. IVC expressed an interest in them working on the projects at once to avoid continued construction in that part of the SN.

_calebross
    _calebross
    Participant

Donatos reveals sleek new look at Short North showpiece
    Restaurant will feature live music, craft beer

By JD Malone
    The Columbus Dispatch • Thursday December 10, 2015 8:19 AM

Just a few feet apart in the Short North stand a pair of Donatos stores — the old and the new.

The light brick and black awnings of the 20-year-old store at the corner of N. High Street and E. First Avenue will be demolished in the coming weeks, leaving the glass, distressed wood and charcoal brick of the new store as the chain’s central Ohio showpiece.

Founded by Jim Grote in 1963, when he was 19 years old, Donatos has grown to more than 150 stores and is expanding into new markets in Tennessee and North and South Carolina.

The new store, with its sleek design, huge 100-pepperoni mural and live music several nights a week will define how Donatos locations look and feel going forward.

“If Jim was 19 today,” said Tom Krouse, Donatos CEO, “this is the store he would open.”

The new Short North location opened on Wednesday, and while it will have features that no other Donatos will — like an attached bar — this isn’t a one-off design.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/business/2015/12/10/donatos-redefined.html

goldenidea
    Participant

I’m really looking forward to my first visit here. I heard they had live music yesterday!

evantyler
    Participant

I scrolled back through some previous posts, but may have overlooked this bit of info–does the new building still have a drive-up window? I must admit, that feature was awfully handy when picking up pizzas for staff events and lunch meetings at my workplace.

Josh Bauman
    Josh Bauman
    Participant

I scrolled back through some previous posts, but may have overlooked this bit of info–does the new building still have a drive-up window? I must admit, that feature was awfully handy when picking up pizzas for staff events and lunch meetings at my workplace.

It does

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Yeah, it’s in the back, accessed from the alley. It’s a bit awkward a looks tight to access, but should function well enough given its location.

Josh Bauman
    Josh Bauman
    Participant

Does anyone have any other pictures besides this one and the couple of interiors from the Dispatch?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Gus W
    Gus W
    Participant

We tried the new Nashville Hot Chicken pizza this week, and it was pretty tasty. Not very hot, but I’d probably order it again.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 98 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!