Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Short North Donatos Demolition and New Build

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Short North Donatos Demolition and New Build

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 98 total)
  • Author

wpcc88
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>jtwill84 wrote:</div>

“It’s very exciting,” he said. “There will be a great upper-floor deck.”

This is the part that excites me the most about this project. A second-story deck/patio? Yes please.

I wish more places took advantage of this.

Agreed! Austin is a city fully of rooftop patios; granted they have much better weather but you see the same in Chicago and NYC as well.

goldenidea
    Participant
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I don’t think I’ve seen it mentioned that they’re taking the “Kroger” approach and building the new Donatos next door to the old one before tearing it down, so there’s never any down-time in the transition.

More details, here: https://www.columbusunderground.com/donatos-black-brick-bar

cadillackid
    Participant

this will be a great addition to the short north indeed. regardless of the long cold columbus winters I think roof decks can make it here…

someone mentioned austin, a town I soend quite a bit of time in for work, yes the weather is decidedly better there, however most every plsce with a patio has the capability to enclose and heat it.. some with portable heaters, others with permanent solutions.. it gives venues a way to have more than one live band at a time.. bands are scheduled so both never break at the same time.. patrons go hear the other band when one is on break.. so they keep that customer there, eating and drinking..

it will be nice to see that nuisance surface lot go away too.. thyat lot has been the source of more than one drug deal, and often a place where donatos employees have to constantly watch it for non-customer parkers..

I, for one have mnore than once passed by donatos without eating there in the past, as I didnt want to be “stuck indoors of another overly air-conditioned columbus restaraunt”(restaraunts in columbus Love to BLAST their AC regardless of outside temps) when I wanted a slice of pizza.. and opted elsewhere instead.. where i could dine outside on a nice day..
    -Christopher

goldenidea
    Participant

I’ve never noticed any dope dealing in Donatos parking lot, but I can see why it might work that way. What I dislike is the bus stop in front of their parking lot, specifically the miscreants that tend to hang out there.
    The recently-released SN parking study mentions reducing the number of bus stops along High St to add parking spaces. If that happens, I hope this is one that goes.

cadillackid
    Participant

im really surprised they would decrease bus stops.. esp when an idea might be to get people to use the bus to reach the short north area as opposed to park there… I dont know how many people use the C-bus, but I know that when I am in the unfortunate spot of not being able t ofind a place to park I simply park downtown and grab the C-bus up to the short north.. granted im a walker by nature so I dont care if I have to walk further or not as im likely just walking around anyways.. but perhaps less bus stops might bother some..

yes ive been heckled more than once leaving that donatos… more than once ive given up my leftover midnight snack to those at that stop..

-Christopher

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

this will be a great addition to the short north indeed. regardless of the long cold columbus winters I think roof decks can make it here…

someone mentioned austin, a town I soend quite a bit of time in for work, yes the weather is decidedly better there, however most every plsce with a patio has the capability to enclose and heat it.. some with portable heaters, others with permanent solutions.. it gives venues a way to have more than one live band at a time.. bands are scheduled so both never break at the same time.. patrons go hear the other band when one is on break.. so they keep that customer there, eating and drinking..

it will be nice to see that nuisance surface lot go away too.. thyat lot has been the source of more than one drug deal, and often a place where donatos employees have to constantly watch it for non-customer parkers..

I, for one have mnore than once passed by donatos without eating there in the past, as I didnt want to be “stuck indoors of another overly air-conditioned columbus restaraunt”(restaraunts in columbus Love to BLAST their AC regardless of outside temps) when I wanted a slice of pizza.. and opted elsewhere instead.. where i could dine outside on a nice day..<br>
    -Christopher

I too occasionally frolic around this fair city, nary a care to be had sans a penchant for that perfect pie. Yet I find the frigid embrace welcome as it blows up my shorts over my unmentionables. The contrast of chilly nips as you bite into that sizzling edge to edge pepperoni pizza, so refreshing and in the swim.

goldenidea
    Participant

im really surprised they would decrease bus stops.. esp when an idea might be to get people to use the bus to reach the short north area as opposed to park there

I’m pretty sure the SN parking study recommends eliminating some bus stops. When I get a chance I’ll re-read that study to be sure, unless someone else can confirm.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

im really surprised they would decrease bus stops.. esp when an idea might be to get people to use the bus to reach the short north area as opposed to park there

I’m pretty sure the SN parking study recommends eliminating some bus stops. When I get a chance I’ll re-read that study to be sure, unless someone else can confirm.

Strongly doubt 1st Ave bus stop will leave. Its one of the larger ones in the area (it has a shelter, etc). As a frequent rider, consolidation of the stops would be helpful. The less stops, the faster the buses. The spacing is very close for the Kroger/4th/4th & 3rd/Price/Hubbard/Russell and I think there is room to space them further apart.

heresthecasey
    Participant

Seattle restaurant and brewery to anchor Donatos development in the Short North

Ram Restaurant & Brewery, based in the Seattle suburb of Lakewood, Washington, is planning a 9,000-square-foot eatery and brewing operation at 920 N. High St. in the Short North. It’s the mystery restaurant that will be part of Donatos Pizzeria LLC’s redevelopment of that site, which includes a new Donatos that will have a craft-beer-focused bar.

The two-story restaurant will have its brewery, bar and kitchen on the first floor. The main dining area will be on the second floor as will a rooftop patio.

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/blog/2015/03/seattle-restaurant-and-brewery-to-anchor-donatos.html?page=all

Eridony
    Eridony
    Participant

Glad to hear we will be getting something new to the Columbus area there!

News
    Participant

RAM Restaurant & Brewery Coming Soon to Short North
    March 8, 2015 7:00 am – Walker Evans

Seattle-based brewery and restaurant RAM announced plans yesterday to open their first Ohio location at the corner of High Street and First Avenue in the redeveloped Donatos building. Mike Fitzpatrick, President of Elford Development, confirmed over the phone that the brewery will be the second of three retail tenants announced for the Short North building.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/ram-restaurant-brewery-coming-soon-to-short-north

Gus W
    Gus W
    Participant

That is one of the ugliest logos/store fronts I’ve seen in awhile.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

That is one of the ugliest logos/store fronts I’ve seen in awhile.

Looks like they have a pretty wide variety of building designs/styles based on images from their website:

http://www.theram.com/locations

jbcmh81
    Participant

I hope it’s something close to the last one. The rest look like something you’d see on Polaris Parkway.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 98 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!