Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Short North Dinner Reservations

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Short North Dinner Reservations

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 114 total)
  • Author

Cookie

Angel wrote >>
    what kind of food would “feminine style” consist of? I’m curious

I like to cut all of my food into the shape of a penis and serve it on a doily, but I’m probably doing it wrong.

nitrogenman

I used Feminine style to refer to the wine list and a wine making style. There are both feminine and masculine styles in wine making. Of course some gray areas in between.

Feminine style wines are more complex and subtle, softer fruit, more mineral, Masculine wines have more oak and tannin forward fruit and typically higher alcohol percentage. At Dragonfly we prefer the feminine style wines because they pair better with vegetables. They are also my personal preference.

nitrogenman

rus wrote >>

nitrogenman wrote >>
    How about a plug here, Bear. Dragonfly has a wonderful feminine style food friendly well priced wine list, beautiful sexy decor, a menu for really more for women than men. Biologically speaking, women have more sensitive olfactory capabilities, thus more refine palates and are more likely to appreciate our cuisine. I would say that the majority of our guests are women. That’s right the women are smarter.

And just to reiterate, we do have a perfect and beautifully hand crafted table in the center of the restaurant we call the community table. And the gallery next door. I realize it’s a bit out of the center of the action, only pitfall. But we’d be happy to have a few cabs at the standby for the short jump back on High.

So, for a group of all women Dragonfly would be ok… how about a mixed group, or a group of mostly guys? Just avoid the short north?

Well, of course I would say Dragonfly is for everyone, but I do notice that a higher percentage of our guests are women. Just a simple observation.

nitrogenman

Bear wrote >>

nitrogenman wrote >>
    How about a plug here, Bear. Dragonfly has a wonderful feminine style food friendly well priced wine list, beautiful sexy decor, a menu for really more for women than men. Biologically speaking, women have more sensitive olfactory capabilities, thus more refine palates and are more likely to appreciate our cuisine.

I didn’t even know it was a girls’ night out — only info I had was, 12-14 people and “reasonably priced,” which can mean a lot of different things to different people. If the focus is going to be on the food and wine, and they’re not the types to get bent out of shape by the absence of meat, absolutely I’d say Dragonfly would be an excellent choice.
    But when I hear “girls’ night out,” knowing nothing whatsoever about the girls, it conjures up images of many inexpensive Appletinis and reasonably high-end bar food. That’s why I’m trying to get more of a sense of what they want out of the evening….

That’s mildly chauvinistic. But if that were the case then Eleven might be the place to go.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

nitrogenman wrote >>

Bear wrote >>

nitrogenman wrote >>
    How about a plug here, Bear. Dragonfly has a wonderful feminine style food friendly well priced wine list, beautiful sexy decor, a menu for really more for women than men. Biologically speaking, women have more sensitive olfactory capabilities, thus more refine palates and are more likely to appreciate our cuisine.

I didn’t even know it was a girls’ night out — only info I had was, 12-14 people and “reasonably priced,” which can mean a lot of different things to different people. If the focus is going to be on the food and wine, and they’re not the types to get bent out of shape by the absence of meat, absolutely I’d say Dragonfly would be an excellent choice.
    But when I hear “girls’ night out,” knowing nothing whatsoever about the girls, it conjures up images of many inexpensive Appletinis and reasonably high-end bar food. That’s why I’m trying to get more of a sense of what they want out of the evening….

That’s mildly chauvinistic. But if that were the case then Eleven might be the place to go.

here we go….

Cookie

nitrogenman wrote >>
    That’s mildly chauvinistic.

And I was almost willing to let your mildly patronizing explanation of how your restaurant is for the ladies slide.

Bear
    Participant

nitrogenman wrote >>

Bear wrote >>

Arguably, though it’s based on demographics more generally, not just sex: when I didn’t live in a town with 50,000 students, my interpretation of what a person I don’t know means by a girls’ night out was different.

Regardless, point is, I was (and am) still looking for more info about the people involved and their tastes before offering any recommendations at all. It’s hard to me to imagine that any one place is automatically right for everyone. As you point out, for some people Eleven is the optimal experience. I have no idea what balance of price vs. quality, cocktails vs. wine vs. food, etc., etc., these women are looking for.

So when I wrote what I wrote about “girls’ night out,” I was just trying to explain why those words don’t automatically bring Dragonfly to mind for me. I didn’t jump to the conclusion that that was what they wanted; I asked for more info.

Bear
    Participant

Cookie wrote >>

nitrogenman wrote >>

And I was almost willing to let your mildly patronizing explanation of how your restaurant is for the ladies slide.

So the whole “penis-shaped food on a doily” thing was letting it slide? ;-)

Cookie

Bear wrote >>

Cookie wrote >>

nitrogenman wrote >>

So the whole “penis-shaped food on a doily” thing was letting it slide? ;-)

Almost!

subes222
    subes222
    Participant

I know places like Bucca Di Beppo and Gordon Beirsch accept larger parties like that. They are technically in the “arena district” but close by.

Barley’s should be able to accommodate as well.

Mark

honavery

I don’t know all of these women well, but they are all in graduate school. So on the less expensive side would be better.

Last time they did this sort of thing, they had an awful experience at Buca (they had to wait 90 minutes to get their “reserved” table), and they have also been to Beirsch many times. So they were looking for something different.

I think Marcella’s is the front runner right now.

lifeliberty
    Participant

I think Lemongrass would be a nice pick. nice variety of food, nice atmosphere, valet parking, not too cost prohibitive. many nights they have a pianist playing in there on the weekend. and it isn’t TOO loud, so you can actually hear the people you sit with.

kitty

I’ll add another one for Marcella’s. We went there with a group of 16 for my birthday and they were great.

nitrogenman

Cookie wrote >>

nitrogenman wrote >>

Well I do think it is nice for ladies. I wasn’t patronizing anyone, simply sharing my experience. It’s a beautiful space and nice for ladies, nice for people, nice for ladies.

drew
    Participant

Who’d a thunk a thread about ‘Short North Dinner Reservations’ would end up being all about Dragonfly?!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 114 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: