Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Short North Coffee House closing tonight at midnight

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Short North Coffee House closing tonight at midnight

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Digital Dave
    Participant

According to their sign out front today is their last day of business “at this location”. No other details on the sign. I liked this place under both its present name and Travonna.

heresthecasey
    Participant

:(

Nancy H
    Participant

Sorry to see them go. They were a nice companion business to Short North Stage and well regarded by neighboring businesses.

The north end of the SN commercial strip is still very much in transition. Wish the CBus ran to Fifth. That end could use the additional foot traffic.

sruckus
    Participant

Sad, although they have a lot of competition with all the places with actual good coffee like Mission, One Line, Impero, NorthStar, etc. existing now. Hopefully something interesting can find a place there.

howatzer
    Participant

eh, this place was always tainted due to its former ownership.

Zekequinn89
    Participant

I was present tonight for the closing, I also worked there for a long time. The owner is in negotiation to move two doors down to the old milk bar spot but was unable to negotiate to stay in the current space due to a large rent spike. A pizza place of some kind will be taking over the current spot.

dashboard2004
    Participant

Why would they not have a new lease signed months (or at least weeks) in advance?

I hope they reopen, I’ll miss the old location because I thought it was bright and open, friendly, kind of cool.

But, here’s hoping they can find some better business sense than this, and plan ahead, in the future. Close without warning? Its not like they had 24 hours notice that the lease was ending. What a disaster for them to have to break everything down, move it into storage (I guess) and then start again in a new location at some uncertain time in the future.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Loved the location, hated the coffee and drinks lol

A coffee shop def needs to be at that end of the short north but it could defiantly use a reboot.

Nancy H
    Participant

Looks like they are rebooting.

A business owner, located across the street from the now closed Short North Coffee House, told me last night that SNCH’s awning has moved a few doors north to 1203 N High.

cadillackid
    Participant

I may give them a reboot.. i also had bad feelings after i learned about travis’s “sexcapades”.. being a survivor myself from childhood abuse I never could quite get back into it… before that I used to be an alost nightly late-night code-jammer there…

they are still south of 5th which is good.. not sure how the rent will be so much less than their spot before..
    it is the old tattoo parlor i think?? has to be just on the other side of the bike shop.. if i rememmber right it has good window frontage…

hopefully they brighten it up just a little inside from the old place..

that area of the short north can definitely support a coffee shop, though their main crowd was OSU students which seemed to hang out for hours and not continue to buy drinks…. not sure how you make it in that arena but we shall see and I hope for the best because I do miss the late night code jams..

-Christopher

cadillackid
    Participant

sure seems to be slow going for these guys.. I walk up high street nearly every day (unless its cold and rainy like today).. and once about 2 weeks ago I saw lights on inside.. since then nothing.. no workers, no doors propped open for work, no lights, etc.. not sure what they are doing.. but their biggest crowd was the student crowd.. and they are missing out by not being open during school-time…

Zyro
    Participant

So they still haven’t opened their new location?

I still can’t believe this happened. Seems so silly.

smegs
    smegs
    Participant

Anyone know what’s going on at w. 5th and high? 4 storefronts boarded up… Will post
    Pic when I can resize a pano

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Anyone know what’s going on at w. 5th and high? 4 storefronts boarded up… Will post
    Pic when I can resize a pano

I’ve heard that the windows at the bike shop were broken, and the building owner decided to replace all windows for the stretch of businesses there. So they’re boarded up for the moment.

jdubilla
    Participant

The owner of the building recently received permission to do repairs/enhancement to the facade.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Ring in the decade in style! Join us for an all-inclusive NYE celebration!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO