Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Short North Business Break-Ins

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Short North Business Break-Ins

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Spike In Short North Business Break-Ins Prompts Ambassador Program

Tuesday April 17, 2012 10:37 PM

UPDATED: Tuesday April 17, 2012 10:11 PM

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Short North community leaders said Tuesday that they were questioning whether police redistricting has contributed to an increase in crime.

In response to a recent uptick in business break-ins, the Short North Alliance asked for more Columbus police presence, and it planned to launch an ambassador street program designed to help lessen crime in the neighborhood, 10TV’s Danielle Elias reported.

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2012/04/17/columbus-spike-in-short-north-business-break-ins-prompts-ambassadors-program.html

Oak
    Participant

So the news only gets worse – if the redistricting of the police is in fact a cause/effect relationship with the uptick in crime, then everybody will be pleased to know that the new Columbus Police Chief is in fact the architect of the “grand plan” to redistribute the police force “where they’re needed”.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/04/05/jacobs-is-new-police-chief.html
    From the Dispatch: “In 2010, Jacobs was the architect of a redistricting plan that was designed to place officers where they were most needed.

It went into effect over the objection of the city’s police union in July of that year. In October, neighborhood leaders interviewed by The Dispatch said the changes had gone smoothly and, in some cases, helped address police-coverage issues.

So I would pose this question – now that the Short North seems to need more police, will there be a shift again? The reason the Short North had a lower crime rate was because we had police, not because there was a lack of crime. Now that the police are gone and the crime is back, does the Short North gets it cops back? My guess is no.

cheap

you could have as many cops as you want down there,it’s not going to stop somebody from committing a crime.

you have a couple crackheads that broke into some restaurants.life goes on.

myliftkk
    Participant

The key is to adopt habits that discourage smash & grabs.

Tip #1 – Don’t keep a closed register loaded w/ cash.
    Tip #2 – Do have an alarm system if you have something worth taking.

mrpoppinzs

myliftkk said:
    The key is to adopt habits that discourage smash & grabs.

Tip #1 – Don’t keep a closed register loaded w/ cash.
    Tip #2 – Do have an alarm system if you have something worth taking.

+1

News
    Participant

Short North Business Burglaries

COLUMBUS — Columbus Police burglary detectives are investigating break-ins at several businesses in the Short North. Bakery Gingham at 647 N. High Street, High St. Denim at 761 N. High Street, and a third business at 815 N. High Street were all broken into around 4 a.m. Tuesday.

READ MORE: http://www.abc6onyourside.com/shared/newsroom/top_stories/videos/wsyx_vid_17341.shtml

Graybeak
    Participant

I think it would be very sad if businesses in the Short North, or anywhere really, have to adopt the roll down armored doors to cover their store fronts that you see in other big cities. Or in other areas around Columbus. However, they are certainly more secure than a big plate glass window.

mrpoppinzs

Looks like they caught the perps.

If they don’t keep cash in the register I think this smash and grab stuff will disappear, it is pretty risky for the thug and generally has a poor return.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

I was awoken around 3:45 last night by what I thought was a car accident. I looked out the window and, seeing nothing, assumed a car had slammed on its breaks and driven on.

I’m a few blocks south of Bakery Gingham, but those guys surely made a lot of noise while breaking the law and the windows of these neighborhood businesses.

I’m glad they’ve been caught. I hope they are in fact the perpetrators, and that the affected businesses are able to clean up and move forward without further hindrances.

DR
    Participant

Why would someone break into a cupcake bakery? They are hardly ever open and never have cupcakes when they are open….let alone cash in the drawer. These criminals are not very smart.

AmyArt21
    Participant

DR said:
    Why would someone break into a cupcake bakery? They are hardly ever open and never have cupcakes when they are open….let alone cash in the drawer. These criminals are not very smart.

My artwork was hanging in that Bakery Gingham location.
    Maybe I should contact them to make sure nothing was taken…

Diesha

There is an up-tick of smash and grabs for the past few months. What we are seeing in most incidents is that they are breaking a window and going straight for the registers and in most cases not getting any cash as most businesses drop daily. In fact, the suspect does not go for merchandise.
    I met with our community liaison officers 2 weeks ago and showed them the log of businesses we are tracking with all the details, day, time, description of suspect, what they took, was it reported, were they assigned to a detective, is there surveillance video etc.
    There has been a consistent description of the suspect and the CPD do have video and fingerprints. We hope for an arrest soon.

bucki12

mrpoppinzs said:
    Looks like they caught the perps.

If they don’t keep cash in the register I think this smash and grab stuff will disappear, it is pretty risky for the thug and generally has a poor return.

+1
    Make a lot of noise, set off alarms on Columbus’s main drag, get little or no $$, get cut and most likely videotaped – Oceans 11 this is not.

News
    Participant

Police Use New Ways To Catch Criminals In Short North, Clintonville
    Saturday September 28, 2013 8:06 AM
    By Danielle Elias

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Police say dozens of businesses have been targeted in the Short North and Clintonville over the past few months.

Now, Columbus police are not only on alert, they say they are trying new ways to catch the crooks by tracking the data from the crimes to help develop a more targeted patrol.

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2013/09/28/columbus-police-try-new-things-to-catch-criminals-in-short-north-and-clintonville.html

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: