Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Shootings, Gun Violence & Gun Control Discussion

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat Shootings, Gun Violence & Gun Control Discussion

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 2,647 total)
  • Author

geoyui
    Participant

Reading this sent shivers down my spine, because there have been reports that children may have been killed. There’s a lot of news sites reporting info:

Shooting at Connecticut Elementary School

Dozen’s killed, including children

ricospaz
    Participant

They said 18 kids. Just awful

geoyui
    Participant

Right now news coming out seems unreliable (although I’ve also seen 18 deaths reported). I’ve even heard they’ve lost track of a group a kids in the school.

RedStorm
    Participant

Geoyui, CBS, ABC, Reuters, etc. are all reporting essentially the same thing (some of the details are a little bit different between the networks).

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Reports continuing to vary, but the minimum number of children killed appears to be ten at this point, but that the death toll overall is closer to 30 rather than 20.

This is just awful, and I don’t know that there’s more to say today other than my thoughts and my prayers are with all affected by this in Connecticut and elsewhere.

geoyui
    Participant

MichaelC said:
    Reports continuing to vary, but the minimum number of children killed appears to be ten at this point, but that the death toll overall is closer to 30 rather than 20.

This is just awful, and I don’t know that there’s more to say today other than my thoughts and my prayers are with all affected by this in Connecticut and elsewhere.

CNN seems to be staying with 10, while many other networks are reporting 18.

RedStorm
    Participant

27 dead, 18 of whom were children.

It’s been weird following on social media. I have friends who are passionately religious making posts or tweets about Jesus, religion, prayer. I also have friends who are staunch atheists who are saying stop praying, go do something. My point to everyone is that today is not the time or place to bring this argument up. Using a tragedy to try to push your view point as the correct one is just wrong.

geoyui
    Participant

RedStorm said:
    27 dead, 18 of whom were children.

It’s been weird following on social media. I have friends who are passionately religious making posts or tweets about Jesus, religion, prayer. I also have friends who are staunch atheists who are saying stop praying, go do something. My point to everyone is that today is not the time or place to bring this argument up. Using a tragedy to try to push your view point as the correct one is just wrong.

+1

To share George Takei’s fb post:

This will be my only post today. We are shocked and horrified by the news coming out of Connecticut. When senseless violence takes the most innocent of lives, our grief is all the deeper.

Many will seek to turn their outrage to action. But now is not the time for politics. Let us instead reflect upon what was lost today, and first grieve together for the victims, many of whom were just children.

leftovers

so awful

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Yeah, this is really terrible to hear about.

Let’s continue to keep this thread clean of fighting, politics and arguments out of respect for those affected by the tragedy.

Cookie

It would be nice if we could keep reporters away from the children there. Jesus.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

I saw that too Cookie. Gross of them to be asking little kids their thoughts. Let them go home.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

Oh the poor babies! What kind of a world is this that we live in?

rus
    rus
    Participant

Cookie said:
    It would be nice if we could keep reporters away from the children there. Jesus.

On this, we agree.

Gods.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Manatee said:
    Oh the poor babies! What kind of a world is this that we live in?

One where people feel hatred as well as love.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 2,647 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Ring in the decade in style! Join us for an all-inclusive NYE celebration!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO