Our City Online

Messageboard - Theatre Events

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Shadowbox Live: Into the Woods — Discontinued/Cancelled

Home Forums Events Theatre Events Shadowbox Live: Into the Woods — Discontinued/Cancelled

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

Screen-Shot-2014-02-13-at-12.34.22-PM.png

Into the Woods

Sundays

February 16 – June 8

Show Times

Sunday, February 16th @ 7p

Continues Sundays @ 2p and 7p

* NO SHOWS on 4/20, 5/4 & 5/25 *

Show Pricing

Admission • $20.00 – $25.00

Quote:
    This Winter join Shadowbox Live for the hit Broadway Musical, Into the Woods: an epic fairy tale where worlds collide. Sometimes happily ever after isn’t so happy after all.

LINK

News
    Participant

Shadowbox’s Into the Woods Got Lost
    By: Lisa Much

While watching Shadowbox Live’s production of the steam-punk/gypsy adaptation of the musical Into the Woods I struggled to decide how I felt. I truly enjoy the Sondheim classic as it contains excellent music and an interesting story, but the Shadowbox production omits and alters a sizable portion of the show. However, I relish creative liberties and changes to make shows more fascinating and Shadowbox’s attempts at least fall into that realm. Ultimately though, I believe they failed.

READ MORE: http://www.columbusunderground.com/shadowbox-lives-into-the-woods-got-lost-lm1

News
    Participant

Press Release:
    SHADOWBOX LIVE DISCONTINUES INTO THE WOODS

February 19, 2014 – Effective immediately, Shadowbox Live will discontinue its performance of Steven Sondheim’s Into the Woods due to licensing issues with MTI. Shadowbox Live producers were contacted yesterday after MTI officials read reviews stating that the show had been trimmed to fit into the 2.5 hour Shadowbox show standard.

Shadowbox Live’s producers were given the option of returning the show to it’s 3+ hour length but have opted to close the show.

“Unfortunately, there are two key problems with a show of that length,” says Katy Psenicka, Shadowbox Live Director of Operations. “First, a 3+ hour musical doesn’t appeal to our audience, who has come to expect a lot of punch in a shorter production. Secondly, we perform two shows on Sundays, one at 2 PM and one at 7 PM. A performance that lasts more than three hours creates logistical problems for us and for our audience that would be very difficult to overcome.”

Taking its place on Sundays February 23, March 2, and March 9 will be the acclaimed dance theater piece Madness & Lust.

“Many of our patrons have expressed how disappointed they felt with Madness & Lust only being shown on Wednesdays and Thursdays,” says Julie Klein, Shadowbox Live Marketing Director. “This will allow more people to see this absolutely wonderful show.”

Madness & Lust, Shadowbox Live’s dance theater adaptation of Emily Bronte’s Wuthering Heights, opened last fall to rave audience reviews and critical acclaim alike, and earned a place on The Columbus Dispatch Top Ten Shows List of 2013. The piece is set to 20+ modern rock and pop songs performed live by Shadowbox live’s vocalists and band. The song list includes such artists as Muse, Radiohead, Peter Gabriel, Annie Lennox, NIN, Seal, Evanescence, Phil Collins and many more.

Shadowbox Live will honor all tickets already purchased. Patrons are encouraged to contact the Shadowbox Live box office for options to redeem at 614-416-7625.

Eugene_C
    Participant

Pretty ridiculous. I was supposed to go to this show on Sunday. I don’t expect an exact 3-hour clone of a Broadway show from Shadowbox. I expect a local take on it. Maybe they’ll rewrite it into a knock-off satire/adaptation.

Most people have had enough to drink by the second act that they don’t care, anyway. They’re just there to have fun. They pour pretty strong drinks there.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Yeah, that’s a bummer they had to shut it down, but nice that they’re honoring tickets and quickly replacing with another show. I’ve always enjoyed the original productions from Shadowbox. ;)

fonzette
    Participant

For the record, it’s not about producing a “clone,” it’s about honoring a licensing agreement, which is standard for contemporary theater productions. I can’t believe Shadowbox actually did that. The small-town community theater I was involved in as a kid would agonize over whether to change a single word, despite knowing that the publisher would almost cetainly not find out.

Eugene_C
    Participant

fonzette said:
    For the record, it’s not about producing a “clone,” it’s about honoring a licensing agreement, which is standard for contemporary theater productions. I can’t believe Shadowbox actually did that. The small-town community theater I was involved in as a kid would agonize over whether to change a single word.

That’s why it’s called an “adaptation.” It’s not like Sondheim exactly honored the story he “adapted” either, right?

fonzette
    Participant

Adapting a story & adapting a play are not analogous.

Ned23
    Participant

fonzette said:
    Adapting a story & adapting a play are not analogous.

That’s very true, especially when there is a written license agreement. But, is that rational? I think that is the larger question.

AmorAmor

Ned23 said:
    That’s very true, especially when there is a written license agreement. But, is that rational? I think that is the larger question.

This situation seems interesting, even though I don’t know much about it. Weighing in on the comments, though, I wanted to add that you can’t compare adapting a story written hundreds of years ago by an unknown author/s to adapting a play that you’ve acquired the license for, written by a living author. License agreements are designed to protect the writer’s rights and the artistic quality and meaning of a piece of work. Without them, you could do anything to a writer’s work, without limitations, and still benefit from the writer’s name/title/branding. Such an unrestricted system could really hurt the business of writers, as they would become responsible by association for even the most far-flung adaptations.

If these guys wanted to make significant changes to this thing, it seems that they they should have asked for the author’s consent first.

That said, they seem to be handling the situation well by offering tickets to another show!

Chrysee
    Participant

I can’t believe this didn’t happen with their production of Spamalot. We planned to go until friends told us it was nothing like the real production. I would have felt very misled if I had gone to either of these shows. They should stick to original productions.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The forum ‘Theatre Events’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: