Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Parkside on Pearl - Seven-Story Wood Cos Apartment Building in Italian Village

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Parkside on Pearl – Seven-Story Wood Cos Apartment Building in Italian Village

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 249 total)
  • Author

mbeaumont
    Participant

Post that in the FB thread dude! ;)

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

From the Society meeting on Tuesday, I believe the Amici’s are going to resubmit the plans for the pavilion to the Commission in the next few weeks. Residents on both sides of the debate are encouraged to go and speak up for this project so keep an eye out on their schedule.

mbeaumont
    Participant

Thanks, mrsgeedeck. I’ll try and offer my support for Parkside where I can.

While I respect the views of others in the neighborhood, I think the benefits of the Parkside on Pearl project far outweigh the benefits of a park pavilion.

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

And for more information regarding plans for the pavilion
    I will say that +5 years is quite some time to not have the funds raised for this project.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

mbeaumont said:
    While I respect the views of others in the neighborhood, I think the benefits of the Parkside on Pearl project far outweigh the benefits of a park pavilion.

+1,000

heresthecasey
    Participant

mbeaumont said:

This. And no offense to Liz Lessner’s mom, but her blantant baiting and biased (not to mention factually incorrect) statements against the project in that facebook thread are pretty ridiculous.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

With lots of new development coming to Italian Village, its important to get input and feedback from the community on the many projects that are or will be under consideration.

Opinions on specific developments which are under consideration can be submitted to the Italian Village Commission(click for info) c/o Connie Torbeck ([email protected])

Opinions on Italian Village matters can be forwarded to the society at [email protected] or brought up at the monthly meetings on the 2nd Tuesday of the month from 7:30pm-9:00pm located at Short Stop Youth Center 1066 N. High St. I’d encourage residents and anyone else who has an interest in Italian Village to join!

Also opinions specifically regarding the Italian Village Park can be forwarded to Mollie O’Donnell with Columbus Recreations and Parks ([email protected])

jbcmh81
    Participant

If they haven’t been able to move on the pavilion in 8 years, it’s time to let someone else develop the lot.

iter81

Help save this development from those who are fighting progress. Our neighborhood deserves quality spaces and this vacant un-maintained parking lot next to our beautiful park isn’t cutting it! Tell the City to allow this project to move forward.

https://www.change.org/petitions/the-city-of-columbus-clean-vacant-lot-adjacent-to-italian-village-park

surber17
    Participant

Signed

Participant

iter81 said:
    Help save this development from those who are fighting progress. Our neighborhood deserves quality spaces and this vacant un-maintained parking lot next to our beautiful park isn’t cutting it! Tell the City to allow this project to move forward.

https://www.change.org/petitions/the-city-of-columbus-clean-vacant-lot-adjacent-to-italian-village-park

Lol that’s hilarious!

mbeaumont
    Participant

iter81 said:

Nice job, dude. Signed.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Signed.

mbeaumont
    Participant

Sorry for the long post, but this is what I posted to FB in regards to the project:

Friends and neighbors, first off, let’s just state what this is up front. This is a counter petition to the one posted earlier by Liz Lessner, regarding Italian Village Park and the Parkside on Pearl project being submitted by The Wood Companies.

I want to say a few words about the project before asking you to sign this petition supporting Parkside, but before I do I’d like to state that I very much respect my friends and fellow Short North residents and business owners that are on the other side of this discussion.

Liz in particular is someone I consider a friend and someone that has contributed greatly to not only the Short North, but to Columbus as a whole. There are passionate, well-meaning, community-minded people that disagree with the current iteration of the Parkside development and I whole-heartedly respect their views, passion and opinions.

That being said, I do believe that certain important facts of this project have been glossed over, misconstrued, and poorly communicated during this conversation.

I myself am not an expert on this development, but I have attended public meetings where both the developer (The Wood Companies) and architect (Jonathan Barnes) have spoke, as well as representatives from Columbus Parks and Recreation, supporters and volunteers of the park, and other residents of Italian Village. I have also followed the development from its initial conception as documented in the public realm, mainly through the Italian Village Commission meeting notes and articles in the media.

So with that being said, I would like to lay out a few facts about the project, and then briefly discuss why I support it.

The Wood Companies owns a small vacant lot that sits between Haiku’s parking lot and the Italian Village park on the corner of N. Pearl St. and Hubbard Ave. It is situated one block East of High St.

They originally proposed to build a seven story structure that was eventually reduced a bit in scale as the IV commission weighed in (partly to allow more sun to fall on the park). As it currently stands the building is tallest near High St. and reduces as it nears the park.

It is mainly a glass and steel building that I believe will reflect the park greenery beautifully. While it’s sloping structure will accommodate both density and sunlight for the park.

You can see a current rendering of the proposal here:

https://www.facebook.com/ParksideOnPearl

The main issue at hand, as I understand it, is a requested variance that requires 20-30 ft of land within the Italian Village park and adjacent to Parkside to remain free of any potential structure due to fire codes. Basically, there can’t be another building within 20-30 ft (estimates vary) of the glass building (I believe because glass can shatter during a fire, in which case the flames can leap out and begin to burn the adjacent building).

Well no problem, right? It’s a park, there is no structure there.

The issue is that park volunteers and supporters have been working to raise money to build a park pavilion that would sit on the West side of the park, right inside the requested variance zone.
    Because of this, park volunteers and supporters feel that the Parkside project irrevocably harms Italian Village park and shouldn’t be built at all.

However, The Wood Companies has come forward with plans that show how the pavilion (which is not funded and whose construction is not eminent or expected anytime soon) can still be built within the park, 30 feet to the east of the current desired location.

In between the planned pavilion and Parkside, the variance zone, would still be open park space that could be utilized as a courtyard, bocce court, picnic space, virtually anything save a building of some sort.

Furthermore, The Wood Companies have offered to donate $25,000 to the construction of the pavilion, as well as additional funds to help with fundraising efforts to raise the rest of the money (which some estimate costing $250,000).

Those that want to block the Parkside development have made insinuations that the park and Parkside are mutually exclusive. That Parkside would ruin or forever damage the park.

And truth be told, some trees would be lost with the construction of Parkside. But more trees would be lost with the construction of the park pavilion, a structure that truly does impact park green space (as opposed to Parkside that does not encroach on park green space whatsoever).

To summarize, I live in the best urban neighborhood in Ohio, perhaps in all the midwest: The Short North. And make no mistake, it is an URBAN neighborhood. Increased density and walkability contribute to the vibrancy, economy, and sustainability of the neighborhood.

In an area that is more and more difficult to park in, increased density helps to promote alternative forms of transportation like walking, biking, and mass transit. Maybe even rail someday. It also creates more customers for local businesses, galleries and restaurants. Ultimately, it leads to a greener, more responsible and sustainable neighborhood.

In fact, Parkside even provides onsite parking to its residents within the building.

I love Italian Village, and I’ve been a Short North resident for 15 years. I also love Italian Village Park and the culture of community support that this neighborhood demonstrates everyday.

I believe Parkside can give us a denser, more sustainable, more beautiful and modern Short North, as well as provide more residents to enjoy a beautiful park that has been cared for and created by the residents of Italian Village.

If we support the Parkside development, everybody compromises and everybody wins.

Participant

Hey mike – can wood co build this without the easement?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 249 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The 6th Annual Columbus Dessert Festival Returns!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO