Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Parkside on Pearl - Seven-Story Wood Cos Apartment Building in Italian Village

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Parkside on Pearl – Seven-Story Wood Cos Apartment Building in Italian Village

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 249 total)
  • Author
    Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

That hint of a building at the corner is the most intriguing for me. I wander if something is in the works in the near term. It is a prime location, arguably the best remaining lot in the Short North.

I’m really liking the contrast of the glass and steel next to the more traditional brick.

geoyui
    Participant

jpizzow said:
    I’m really liking the contrast of the glass and steel next to the more traditional brick.

+1

I hope this starts a trend …

surber17
    Participant

this modern building is beautiful and needed for some contrast to the other buildings in the area

wpcc88
    Participant

I think that is just for reference; it would block the views for residents of the proposed building, unless that is going to be the stairwell and elevator shaft. That being said I hope I’m wrong!

heresthecasey
    Participant

Would love to see some infill like this around the Topiary Park.

Mercurius
    Participant

geoyui said:
    +1

I hope this starts a trend …

+3. I’ll take modern architecture made with quality construction materials like glass, concrete and steel (over the ticky-tacky being built next door out plywood) any day of the week.

In addition, I feel like the main reason it’s tall is because IV isn’t allowing any parking variances. If they would give a parking variance, you could have ground floor retail and a shorter building. The added benefit would be more demand for better public transportation, car and bike shares and infill of surface lots with parking garages.

Digressing to the design on the park, I love the use of mirrors in nature. Done right, I believe you could make it reflect the park more than it currently does:

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

^^Great idea. Not so much for the birds though.

Mercurius
    Participant

jpizzow said:
    ^^Great idea. Not so much for the birds though.

You can put bird stickers on it.

heresthecasey
    Participant

From Facebook,

Parkside on Pearl gets the go ahead!

This week the Italian Village Commission voted to give Parkside on Pearl a conditional approval of the height and massing of the building. This allows the design team to develop the details and make more improvements.

Thanks to all those who’ve voiced their support of the project. All the FB likes, comments, emails, letters made a huge difference. And a big thanks to those who showed up at the meetings.

We’re one big step closer. More to come!

https://www.facebook.com/ParksideOnPearl

anillo
    Participant

Good news, everyone!

DavidF
    Participant

anillo said:
    Good news, everyone!

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

Mercurius said:
    +3. I’ll take modern architecture made with quality construction materials like glass, concrete and steel (over the ticky-tacky being built next door out plywood) any day of the week.

In addition, I feel like the main reason it’s tall is because IV isn’t allowing any parking variances. If they would give a parking variance, you could have ground floor retail and a shorter building. The added benefit would be more demand for better public transportation, car and bike shares and infill of surface lots with parking garages.

Digressing to the design on the park, I love the use of mirrors in nature. Done right, I believe you could make it reflect the park more than it currently does:

Mmm I dunno how I feel about the mirrored look. There are several buildings up on Brice near Livingston that have a mirrored effect that really dates the 70’s.

buckeyecpa
    Participant

I’m wondering if this project along with the other there will push for haiku’s spot to be redeveloped. He has a great location that’s valuable. It’d be great to see something like this neighborhood watch project below but modified to fit the neighborhood. Then haiku could have the top floor and rooftop

mbeaumont
    Participant

Guys, if you’re in support of this project, chime in here please:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/italianvillage/

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

This will always be a concern of those who have lived in revitalizing urban neighborhoods for as long as there are urban neighborhoods to revitalize. Reason and the preservation of a comfortable way of life will prevent some people from accepting the forces of neighborhood change.

IMO, this land is too valuable and too close to High Street not to develop this densely. If it were Summit or Fourth, then maybe I would have a problem. But it is not surrounded by single family homes. It scales nicely with what’s on High St. And I’m not going to address the building shadow issue over the park to avoid beating a dead horse. Anyone who has lived in the neighborhood for the past 10 years or so should have seen this level of development coming. Are we saying that we should scrap a plan that puts dozens of new residents in a vacant parking lot and feet on the street for the retail establishments over a shelter house that we don’t even know will be funded and built? Or that does not generate tax revenue for the city?

I’m not beating down on the residents of IV at all (which I would guarantee is a very small minority of IV). I can understand why some people might be apprehensive about this but there are certain things that just need to be done in the name of progress; this coming from someone who understands the positives of this development. I’m hoping for 4-7 story structures taking over all of the vacant lots along the Short North. More residents means more vibrancy and like another post already mentioned, instead of worrying about the parking situation so much, maybe we should be upgrading our transit system a bit while at the same time encouraging those service businesses that people can walk to rather than drive.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 249 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Ring in the decade in style! Join us for an all-inclusive NYE celebration!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO