Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Parkside on Pearl - Seven-Story Wood Cos Apartment Building in Italian Village

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Parkside on Pearl – Seven-Story Wood Cos Apartment Building in Italian Village

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 249 total)
  • Author

Pablo
    Participant

20′ is too narrow for storage of materials. It’s enough room for scaffolding and the transfer of materials from a staging area somewhere else to the site. Look how Pizutti is building the hotel. They’ve taken a lane of High and are lifting building materials up on a just in time basis. Wood might use Pearl for this purpose and the park side might just be a way to get materials around the project site.

Liner Notes
    Liner Notes
    Participant

MichaelC said:
    Shouldn’t the focus be on benefiting the city of Columbus, and the Short North as a whole, rather than benefiting the park?

And aren’t your calculations rather short-sighted–won’t having more residents to use the park be a good thing in the long run–for the park, and for the city?

dalias
    dalias
    Participant

jbcmh81 said:
    I’m curious how many of the opponents to staging construction equipment temporarily use that specific 20ft. on any regular bases. Further, are any uses of that 20ft. incompatible with the rest of the park during the time of construction? Meaning, is your park experience absolutely going to be ruined because you don’t have an extra 20ft for 15 months or however long the construction lasts? I suspect not and this is just another side way to argue against the development itself.

I am largely supportive of the actual building with no opposition to design or density. My qualms with using the easement as a staging area come down to 3 points:
    1. Part of my objection is based on the small footprint of the park in the first place, it is a decent percentage of the total land area usable. The staging area would also either overlap or abut the playground equipment. This would negate a key amenity of the park.
    2. the Wood Cos has a history of not building with any sense of alacrity. One could argue that 15mos scheduled right would only stretch over one summer. But given how long their building above Northstar took, and how long the Leafy Dale project is taking (both projects I like), a precedent has been established of protracted construction that could close this section of a park for multiple summers.
    3. From a PR perspective, the primary argument of opponents is that a private developer is seeking private control over public property. Given this, I think the best counter argument would be that the park remains the park for now and forever. Any closure of part of the park, especially if it is for a prolonged period, plays directly into the argument against the building.

goldenidea
    Participant

I’m for this development and for allowing Wood to use a reasonable, small portion of the park during it’s construction, be that the easement area, or if needed, a little more.

While private development may not directly benefit the public-at-large, in addition to adding beneficial density or population, this capital improvement also will be a significant addition to the tax base, which DOES benefit the public. To me, this is a major reason to allow the development.

While Wood’s time to develop the Northstar and the Leafy Dale seems lengthy, those projects were/are both renovations or improvements to existing structures. That kind of work can be a lot more complicated and hard to schedule. I think the end results at Northstar are great. By all accounts, Leafy Dale will also be excellent.

If 15 months is all that’s tolerable for use of park land, have Wood agree to paying rent for time exceeding those 15 months. For those who must have access green space during the time of construction, it’s only a two block walk to Goodale, and walking is healthy.

While I value green space and environmental sustainability as much as the next person, I don’t see why there is strong opposition to this development. We need this kind of development. Wood has been involved responsibly in the Short North for many decades, since the early days. What developer is more deserving of this opportunity?

Sure, running Wood’s design and plans through the typical neighborhood commission reviews, and getting neighborhood feedback is important and useful. Doing what’s reasonable to limit impacts to the park during development is also useful. But throwing up more roadblocks, like not giving them access to land needed to build safely and efficiently doesn’t seem like the right way to get this done.

buckeyecpa
    Participant

I’ve personally been in a meeting several years back regarding parking and valets in the short north. That day I realized I could not support many of Liz’s efforts around Columbus. She has a vision of Columbus and if she doesn’t get her way she’ll stand in the way of others ideas. If it’s not her plan it’s not a good plan.

This park is obviously important to some. The park can’t survive on hopes and dreams and to date nobody has stepped up with finalizing its dream. With this new building, which will do more benefit than harm, the park would greatly benefit.

I do not post this to put Liz down. She has done many great things for employees and others. I just wish when we hear from her it would be her and another teaming up for the good and making something better for everyone. She has power with her voice but part of it seems to be used solely for her and her families personal interests.

Keep improving IV. It’s been the talk for years and now we’re finally seeing what many had hoped. Development and growth. It’s a great thing when someone wants to invest in your area.

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

buckeyecpa said:
    I’ve personally been in a meeting several years back regarding parking and valets in the short north. That day I realized I could not support many of Liz’s efforts around Columbus. She has a vision of Columbus and if she doesn’t get her way she’ll stand in the way of others ideas. If it’s not her plan it’s not a good plan.

This park is obviously important to some. The park can’t survive on hopes and dreams and to date nobody has stepped up with finalizing its dream. With this new building, which will do more benefit than harm, the park would greatly benefit.

I do not post this to put Liz down. She has done many great things for employees and others. I just wish when we hear from her it would be her and another teaming up for the good and making something better for everyone. She has power with her voice but part of it seems to be used solely for her and her families personal interests.

Keep improving IV. It’s been the talk for years and now we’re finally seeing what many had hoped. Development and growth. It’s a great thing when someone wants to invest in your area.

Well said.

roy
    Participant

buckeyecpa said:
    I’ve personally been in a meeting several years back regarding parking and valets in the short north. That day I realized I could not support many of Liz’s efforts around Columbus.

For many years the City used an early 80s valet ‘policy’ drafted specifically for Lindey’s, which at that time was the single establishment seeking to convert public right-of-way (ROW) to a private valet use. Around the turn of the century City officials discovered that valet fees weren’t being charged or collected and that swaths of meters intended for the general public were being improperly used by unscrupulous, unregulated valet companies. Valet drivers hooded meters whenever they wanted, physically chasing off, and in some cases threatening, motorists seeking access to metered spaces. Instead of moving cars from a 2 or 3 space valet staging area to a private parking lot, valet drivers boldly stacked vehicles in valet zones and other ROW for hours and hogged residential spaces in adjacent neighborhoods.

In 2005, Elizabeth Lessner was invited to work with the City and the valet companies to explore updating the valet parking and loading zone regulations. Transportation division staff dragged their feet and the process continued for years but Lessner didn’t give up, balancing her dual roles as a business owner negatively impacted by the lack of regulation with her leadership position at the Central Ohio Restaurant Association where many of her constituents used valets.

Controversy isn’t a bad thing and it’s a positive development that Columbus is learning how to manage varying points of view respectfully. Liz’s years of work to help create a modern, balanced and enforceable valet zone policy was and is important to our city’s growth and maturity and warrants positive recognition.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

roy said:
    Controversy isn’t a bad thing and it’s a positive development that Columbus is learning how to manage varying points of view respectfully. Liz’s years of work to help create a modern, balanced and enforceable valet zone policy was and is important to our city’s growth and maturity and warrants positive recognition.

Well said.

Nancy H
    Participant

Not to malign all of the effort that went into sorting out valet rules and regs – I hate valet parking.

It sucks up public parking for private use. We have precious little public parking in our urban areas. Having meters in the commercial coridors turn over regularly is necessary for a healthy retail environment, which ultimately provides the basic goods and services urban dwellers crave.

Valet parking ushers the patron into that specific restaurant and returns their vehicle to them outside the restaurant’s door. The restaurant might as well be on the moon, as there is no sharing of customers with surrounding establishments.

German Village and the Short North are wonderful examples of pedestrian scale walking neighborhoods. What is wrong with letting customers find their own parking when they go to dinner in an urban area. They just might walk past a retail establishment they didn’t know existed. Or discover yet another place to eat. More people on the sidewalks adds to the vitality of an urban area, and increases public safety.

kandrews
    Participant

Ok, folks. Now is the time for those that have shared their opinions to take action. Tomorrow is the IVS meeting! It is at a new location this month so please read until the end of this message for the location. It looks like a vote will take place on whether or not to support this project. Just to reiterate what was stated before – you MUST be a paying IVS member ($25/year) to vote. YOU MUST HAVE PAID PRIOR TO THE MEETING;)

Larry Totzke (IVS President) just posted the following about the Italian Village Society meeting today:
    At the January IVS meeting a proposal was presented from the Wood Companies to reimburse the Society for its recommendation to the Department of Recreation and Parks to grant a 20-foot easement into Italian Village Park for the purpose of providing a “no-build zone” so they could proceed with construction of a 5-7 story apartment building directly adjacent to the park. After much discussion, the membership voted to not accept the proposal and to appoint and eight-member negotiating team to seek further clarification of the proposal and to seek either changes to the building and/or additional compensation for the easement.

The negotiating team met the following Thursday and drafted an eight-point negotiating stance to take to the Wood Companies. Two members of the team met twice with Wood Company representatives and have now received the Wood Company’s response. The team will meet again this evening (Monday, February 10) to review the response and to draft its recommendation to the Society membership to either accept or reject the revised proposal.

This is an important decision for the Society and members are asked to make every effort to attend tomorrow evening’s meeting at our new location, Columbus Junior Achievement at the 2nd Avenue Elementary School at 7:30 pm.

goldenidea
    Participant

you MUST be a paying IVS member ($25/year) to vote. YOU MUST HAVE PAID PRIOR TO THE MEETING;)

ka: Thanks for this notice.

Question: Will there be someone at the meeting door collecting the $25 fee and enrolling new IVS members? If not, where can one go either today or tomorrow to become a member prior to the meeting? Thanks again!

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

goldenidea said:

you MUST be a paying IVS member ($25/year) to vote. YOU MUST HAVE PAID PRIOR TO THE MEETING;)

ka: Thanks for this notice.

Question: Will there be someone at the meeting door collecting the $25 fee and enrolling new IVS members? If not, where can one go either today or tomorrow to become a member prior to the meeting? Thanks again!

You can join the society by following this link:

http://www.italianvillage.org/JoinNow.html

kandrews
    Participant

I should have said that membership is actually only $15 for an individual member and $25 (two votes) for a family membership.

Nancy H
    Participant

You can also give the IVS treasurer your contact details and a check at the Society meeting. It is important to remember the following, from the IVS membership details: “New members have a 30-day waiting period until they may vote at any meeting.”

ntn
    ntn
    Participant

After the meeting an older couple stated as they left “We have just been bought out by the Wood brothers!”
    Does it make me a better or worse person that I would have voted for the proposal without any money given to us?

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 249 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns with a “Curated Take Home Box Experience”

CLICK HERE TO PLACE YOUR ORDER