Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Parkside on Pearl - Seven-Story Wood Cos Apartment Building in Italian Village

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Parkside on Pearl – Seven-Story Wood Cos Apartment Building in Italian Village

This topic contains 248 replies, has 56 voices, and was last updated by  ohbr 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 249 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Wood Companies Proposes Seven-Story Apartment Building at Italian Village Park

Published on March 21, 2013 11:20 am

By: Brent Warren

The Wood Companies has proposed a seven-story apartment building at the corner of East Hubbard Avenue and Pearl Alley, adjacent to Italian Village Park. The concept was presented to the Italian Village Commission this week. Mark Wood, President of The Wood Companies, said he was pleased with the reaction of the commission and is looking forward to the project coming together; their goal is to break ground by the end of this year.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/wood-companies-proposes-seven-story-apartment-building-at-italian-village-park-bw1

futureman
    Participant

Short North’s Parkside on Pearl project gets shortened
    Brian R. Ball
    Staff reporter- Business First

Developers Michael Schiff and Mark Wood will trim the size of a proposed apartment and office complex near Italian Village Park as they work toward getting the Columbus project under construction this fall.

Members of the Italian Village Commission have sought a reduction in the scope of the seven-story, 52-apartment building atop parking and office space after a March 19 conceptual review. The developers plan to reduce the number of high-end apartments in their Parkside on Pearl project to 44 while eliminating most of the top floor before heading back to the commission as early as its April 16 meeting. …

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/print-edition/2013/03/29/short-north-project-gets-shortened.html

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

That’s a shame it’s going shorter.

surber17
    Participant

it said its eliminating “most” of the top floor …. so it will still be close to 7 stories tall?

futureman
    Participant

Yeah, it sounds like it will still be close to 7 stories.

Also, I wasn’t aware they were planning two town homes style units on the 1st floor facing the park.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

I guess I’m missing the issue with the height. Is it really that much taller than what The Hub will be? I guess there will be 8+/- fewer residents regularly spending money in the Short North.

I can see this issue of density and height becoming more of an issue as developers acquire the few remaining surface lots along High St.

futureman
    Participant

Picture from the article:

surber17
    Participant

i’d like to see the other side to see if that changed at all. I loved the original design of this (but this one is still pretty good).

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

futureman said:
    Also, I wasn’t aware they were planning two town homes style units on the 1st floor facing the park.

From the original article up top:

The park side of the building would be fronted with residential town homes, which Wood says will mask the parking garage and provide a nice complement to the park.

MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/wood-companies-proposes-seven-story-apartment-building-at-italian-village-park-bw1

columbusmike
    Participant

Walker said:
    That’s a shame it’s going shorter.

Yeah, I don’t see any reasonable justification to require a shorter building here.

I could see if this was setting a precedent, but there are plenty of other 7+ story structures along High Street.

The only reason I see them making is that this building ISN’T on High Street, therefore, they don’t want to open the door to taller buildings in IV. Even so, because it’s located around a park, I think that makes this situation different and not precedent-setting for tall buildings off High Street.

Seems to me the commission is over burdening this developer…but I wasn’t at the meeting.

jbad
    jbad
    Participant

I typically don’t enter discussions on my own projects, but I certainly read them. As the architect for the Hubbard and Pearl project, I appreciate the support for the project (especially from those who are comfortable with density and height in urban neighborhoods) and I appreciate the concerns as well. The development process in the Short North is a public process and everyone has the ability to help shape it. I encourage everyone to participate and be vocal. Show up at the next Italian Village Commission meeting (109 N Front St) next Tues at 6ish and speak up.

One comment about the height – in this project it has alot to do with the fact that we’re providing all the necessary parking within the building, without relying on off-site parking structures, on-street parking in the neighborhood or city funding for our parking structure – a rarity in the Short North.

News
    Participant

Via FB:

https://www.facebook.com/ParksideOnPearl

Please come to the Short Stop Youth Center tomorrow night from 7:30-9 PM for the Italian Village Society meeting. We want to hear your thoughts on the Parkside on Pearl Project.

It is our goal to bring this beautiful, modern apartment building to Italian Village. We need your support to make it happen!

jbcmh81
    Participant

Why does the 2nd photo have the outline of a building where the Haiku lot is? Is something in the works there?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

jbcmh81 said:
    Why does the 2nd photo have the outline of a building where the Haiku lot is? Is something in the works there?

Not that I’ve heard. Probably just speculative future development to show how the building height aligns with High Street.

buckeyecpa
    Participant

It’d be great if Paul Liu joined this project to fill the whole corner. I doubt he’d give up his patio though but there’s ways around saving it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 249 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Tour new apartments and homes on Sunday, September 15th during the Urban Living Tour!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO