Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

LC RiverSouth - 8-Story & 10-Story Apartment Buildings at High & Rich

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development LC RiverSouth – 8-Story & 10-Story Apartment Buildings at High & Rich

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 561 total)
  • Author

indyout
    Participant

I recently moved to Columbus from Indy, and have been surprised at the lack of downtown construction compared to Indy. Columbus has so many proposed buildings, but if they actually get built is another story.
    This project is one most cities would kill for, great density and architecture, the current construction in downtown Indy is robust, but is mostly 3-5 story bland buildings.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

I recently moved to Columbus from Indy, and have been surprised at the lack of downtown construction compared to Indy. Columbus has so many proposed buildings, but if they actually get built is another story.<br>
    This project is one most cities would kill for, great density and architecture, the current construction in downtown Indy is robust, but is mostly 3-5 story bland buildings.

I’ve heard a lot of interesting compare and contrasts of Indy/Cbus. Two cities who on the outside would seem to be very similar, but who in detailed seems to be interestingly different. I would love to hear more of your perspective as someone who has lived in both… (maybe another thread for that)

ohbr
    Participant

the current construction in downtown Indy is robust, but is mostly 3-5 story bland buildings.

That’s an interesting perspective. A lot of time we hear on here about how Indy is doing so much better at bigger, better, greater density. Thinking on a larger scale I actually spent some time out there recently and saw some of that but mostly , from where I was and saw, it’s not much different than here in Columbus being built. It just appeared that Indy has built more of the 3-5-7 story range than Columbus over the last few years for greater infill.

Now Indy appears to be more ambitious about public transit but that’s something I’d refer to a former resident on. Columbus’s lack of effort on public transit, slow transition to complete streets, and lack of ambition on pedestrian safety is pretty disappointing possibly in comparison.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I recently moved to Columbus from Indy, and have been surprised at the lack of downtown construction compared to Indy.

I’ve never been to Indy myself to compare in person, but one of the things I often hear is that Indy’s Downtown is stronger than Columbus’ Downtown, while Columbus has stronger core neighborhoods surrounding Downtown than Indy does. So I guess that could be a tradeoff between the two when making comparisons.

When we do our monthly “Construction Roundup” series, we include medium-to-large-scale development sites in Downtown, Italian Village, German Village, Brewery District, Victorian Village, Olde Towne East, the University District, Fifth by Northwest, Grandview Heights, Merion Village, Franklinton and other nearby spots:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/tag/construction-roundup

So if you expand your view to the surrounding urban neighborhoods, the amount of ongoing construction opens up to include quite a bit more, IMHO.

Columbus has so many proposed buildings, but if they actually get built is another story.

Without crunching numbers, I’d guestimate that there’s been a 95% success rate for development following through to completion over the past five years. Outside of a select few examples like this one and this one, I can’t recall too many proposals getting completely cancelled post-recession. Even the ones that got cancelled around the time of the recession have changed hands to new development ownership and have been restarted in some way (Ibiza > Hub, Jeffrey Place > Jeffrey Park, etc).

If I were a betting man, I’d wager that the three new LC Riversouth buildings are all completed, albeit delayed from their original schedules.

PS: Welcome to Columbus! ;)

indyout
    Participant

Thanks, I really like it here, I moved into a 1 bedroom at Highpoint and work for a Law firm in Capital Square.
    Columbus and Indy do have a lot in common, but DT Indy has been going thru explosive growth. It does have the canal district and Woodruff Place, both are very unique areas. Columbus has so many near DT neighborhoods, that I don’t think I could ever explore them all. German Village??? This place is one of the most spectacular areas in North America!!!! The Short North??This area is straight out of NYC or Montreal!! OSU seems more cosmopolitan than just a University. I think Columbus is going to be a new version of an exciting American city. I am here to stay.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Quick shot from yesterday morning of the progress:

JMan
    Participant

Glad to see this up out of the ground. Indy’s new Red Line BRT has dedicated lanes, ours won’t – that’s a mistake IMHO.

JMan
    Participant

When a city says it has strong neighborhoods instead of downtown development (though strong neighborhoods are certainly a plus), it’s just another way of saying “We just couldn’t build a strong downtown.”

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

When a city says it has strong neighborhoods instead of downtown development (though strong neighborhoods are certainly a plus), it’s just another way of saying “We just couldn’t build a strong downtown.”

I think it’s more of an admission that there has, for some time been little focus on Downtown development and revitalization than there was in the near Downtown neighborhoods (German, Victorian, Italian Villages, University area). That obviously changed course around 10 or so years ago and we’re finally seeing the payoff.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Agreed.

And Downtown just now becoming tapped as the “hottest spot” by developers, over Easton, is better late than never.

ImNotaStar
    Participant

When was Easton the hottest spot? I can still only think of one apartment building there that must be 15 years old by now. I am not sure developers ever thought that way.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

https://www.columbusunderground.com/downtown-columbus-real-estate-2016

When evaluating submarkets in the region, local experts pointed to Downtown Columbus as the best location for development and investment prospects in 2016, which has overtaken the top spot from Easton and New Albany.

ImNotaStar
    Participant

Article must be wrong. There has been zero residential development at Easton. In fact all of eatson and the surrounding strip malls were developed by what 3 different developers, maybe 4? Casto is the only one I can think of that developed at Easton and downtown. New Albany I agree with but that article is clearly wrong. There has been no shift from eatson to downtown multifamily was never built in Easton beyond 1 building.

Pro Se
    Participant

I think the problem is thinking of Downtown as a neighborhood in and of itself. Its a vast area. We should break it down as River South, Discovery District, Arena District, etc. When thinking of it this way, the area suddenly seems more appealing, more inviting. There is something inherently wrong with the idea of “Downtown” as a neighborhood because the word is so associated with commercial activity.

That is not to say that the geographic reference itself enhances the desirability of those subdistricts–they are all on the cusp of major transformations. But I do think we should get away from the idea of Downtown, as a whole, as a neighborhood.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

Article must be wrong. There has been zero residential development at Easton. In fact all of eatson and the surrounding strip malls were developed by what 3 different developers, maybe 4? Casto is the only one I can think of that developed at Easton and downtown. New Albany I agree with but that article is clearly wrong. There has been no shift from eatson to downtown multifamily was never built in Easton beyond 1 building.

The article wasn’t on residential development, it was on commercial development.

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 561 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: