Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

LC RiverSouth - 8-Story & 10-Story Apartment Buildings at High & Rich

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development LC RiverSouth – 8-Story & 10-Story Apartment Buildings at High & Rich

This topic contains 560 replies, has 89 voices, and was last updated by  ohbr 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 561 total)
  • Author

Pro Se
    Participant

This from the Downtown Commission’s November 27 meeting agenda!

Case #2 621-12

Address: 221 & 203 / 213 S High Street
    Applicant: Lifestyle Communities
    Property Owner: Columbus Downtown Development Corporation
    Design Professional: Melica Architecture
    Zoning: DD (Core Sub-District)

Request CC3359.27(D)3) CC3359.15
    Certificate of Appropriateness for
    The demolition of two buildings, 203 / 213 S High Street & 221 S High Street
    Conceptual review for a seven story building on the northwest corner of High and
    Rich Streets. The building is comprised of
    o Parking under rest of structure accessed by grade change along Rich Street.
    o Street level commercial / retail along High Street.
    o Six stories of apartments above street level.

Pablo
    Participant

Good news!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Pro Se said:
    Design Professional: Melica Architecture

Typo?

http://www.meleca.com/

geoyui
    Participant

isn’t de novo near the northwest corner of high and rich? Good news nonetheless!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Pro Se said:
    The demolition of two buildings, 203 / 213 S High Street & 221 S High Street

Pretty sure that means these two:

The six story building is the Trautman Building. It was studied in 2007/2008 as an artist live/work community:

GCAC Releases Artspace Report for Columbus Project

But in 2008, the tenants in the building were all kicked out:

Developers kick out tenants of Trautman Building

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

geoyui said:
    isn’t de novo near the northwest corner of high and rich? Good news nonetheless!

They’re in the two story building just north of these two proposed for demolition and site redevelopment.

futureman
    Participant

I’ve always loved the more traditional route Meleca does with design. Here’s hoping they are indeed the architect and this project moves forward.

Being that it’s lifestyle communities gives me hope that it will actually happen in a timely manner.

And, hurray for keeping ground floor retail!

Pickerington_Kyle
    Participant

I’d take this any day, but doesn’t the 2010 action plan “suggest” a minimum of 10 or 12 story buildings along High Street?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Pickerington_Kyle said:
    I’d take this any day, but doesn’t the 2010 action plan “suggest” a minimum of 10 or 12 story buildings along High Street?

Yes, but I think the plan was adopted as more of a set of guidelines and not a rulebook.

Page 85 of the plan places the High Street and Broad Street corridors into “District A” when establishing urban form, which is where this High & Rich project fits in:

——————-

The following proposed density diagram for Downtown Columbus sets three different minimum building height requirements for areas of downtown. The highest density is proposed along High Street and Broad Street (District A) and then mid-scale buildings built around this core area (District B). The rest of the downtown area reflects the current lower density neighborhood scale (District C). Using these densities and assumptions about office and residential uses, the planning team was able to forecast a potential build-out of Downtown Columbus.

District A
    • Primary urban core / downtown commercial district
    • Highest densities
    • 10+ stories acceptable and additional height encouraged where appropriate.
    8+ stories preferred for new development
    – Primary destination for downtown office workers, some arts, retail and entertainment visitors
    – Limited residential uses on Broad of High streets, unless within higher density mixed-use buildings
    – Full transit service and walkable

District B
    • Urban density zone – mixed retail, residential, entertainment, office district
    • Significant densities required and strong urban character
    • 5+ stories preferred for redevelopment
    – Primary destination area for downtown visitors/tourists
    – Significant residential – best location for true “urban style” living opportunities
    – Transit service in close proximity, but walkable

District C
    • Urban neighborhood/campus zone – neighborhood residential, institutional, academic, service-oriented retail and office
    • Lower densities allowed with traditional urban character
    • 2-5 stories preferred for redevelopment
    – Primary education/medical area downtown
    – Full transit service and walkable
    – Significant residential
    – transition to adjacent neighborhoods with traditional neighborhood design
    – Some transit service, but walkable

Analogue Kid
    Participant

Pretty cool, hopefully it comes to fruition.

Pablo
    Participant

Here’s what the Trautman Building looked like before it was covered in that hideous siding in the 1960s. I believe it was built in 1895 – another old building bites the dust. I’m glad it won’t be a parking lot…

source: http://digital-collections.columbuslibrary.org/cml_item_viewer.php?cobj=1&CISOROOT=/ohio&CISOPTR=2689&REC=10

Analogue Kid
    Participant

When you walk down Wall street behind the building, you can smell mold/must smell. I’m guessing water damage is taking its toll.

surber17
    Participant

I wonder what the naysayers have to say now about “why are we building a park in central downtown, there’s no way it’s going to spark development”

columbusmike
    Participant

This makes perfect sense for Lifestyle to add to their RiverSouth project – and it will be a big improvement over the existing buildings there. Although, I’d like to see those aluminum panels ripped off the building to see what’s underneath.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

surber17 said:
    I wonder what the naysayers have to say now about “why are we building a park in central downtown, there’s no way it’s going to spark development”

Another victory for Keynesian economics?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 561 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: