Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Serial Podcast

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Coy
    Participant

http://serialpodcast.org/

Anyone else following this?
    Pretty great real life murder mystery documentary being played out rom the makers of This American Life.
    Well worth the listen so far…

Jesse Bethea
    Jesse Bethea
    Participant

It’s incredible

DouginCMH
    Participant

Bump

Even though I haven’t listed to this week’s installment. The most popular podcast on the planet. Brilliant storytelling.

My only gripe is that the storytelling sometimes (to me, anyway) gets in the way of what, in essence, is a basic whodunnit issue. Remembrances of how individuals may have acted on a night 15 years ago may make for fascinating audio, but it’s the technical nuts and bolts stuff that really matter: the iffy nature of the cell phone records; the hard to believe prosecutorial timeline; the possible library alibi who was never contacted by the defense; the odd nature of where the body was found, who found it; the ridiculous manner in which Jay received legal assistance, via the prosecution; and so on.

In the end, it doesn’t much matter who thinks what about the various characters in the story; the crime was either doable as the prosecution laid it out, or it wasn’t. I mean if you want to determine guilt or innocence on a podcast, that is. Affecting change in a legal system that’s reluctant to admit that it sometimes makes mistakes, now that’s another matter.

Regardless, podcasts like this are why I rarely watch television any longer.

surber17
    Participant

I almost posted a new chat for this but figured someone in the CU world was listening too. This week is the last episode. I have a bad feeling that it’s going to end without any real answers but we’ll see.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Jay did it or lied under oath to get Adnan busted to take heat off of him. I’m pretty set on that after hearing all 11 episodes so far. Which constantly makes me wonder “who the hell did it?”. Talking with friends everyone just goes on about facts about the case. Yet everyone seems to forget that someone actually died and if you’re in the boat that Adnan didn’t do then

who the hell did it?

surber17
    Participant

It has to be either Adnan or Jay and I’m not really sure who. My only gripe about it being a podcast, I need to see the facts laid out in some sort of visual fashion. I’m having a tough time saying “this person’s cell phone went here at this time”. I’m really not sure who did it. At first I thought it 100% wasn’t Adnan, but the more I listened I thought it could def. be him. Does everyone think there will be some sort of conclusion this week where you feel good about the case?

Matt Boyd
    Participant

It’s almost impossible to know exactly who did it without an outright confession. However, I feel like she has presented enough reasonable doubt that maybe Adnan shouldn’t have been convicted. Can’t wait for the last episode, and really happy they decided to do another story.

DouginCMH
    Participant

I, too, assume there will be no real ‘conclusion’ to the podcast this week. I listed to last week’s episode last night and was a little disappointed. I mean, it’s a good story well-told. So, in that episode, we get all of this background stuff about Adnan. Interesting, but not in any way relevant to the case, near as I could tell. Koenig is very gifted and thorough in her role as story-telling reporter; everyone gets an opportunity to tell their side of things, which is pretty fascinating. She’s less good at approaching this story from the perspective of sleuth who weighs in on the validity of what she is being told. From where I sit, the prosecution made a case that describes the timing and nature of the murder, and the findings set forth in the podcast both expose the pick-and-choose nature by which the case was presented and make it extremely hard to believe that it would have been physically possible for Adnan to have been the murderer as described.

So what Serial has done in this instance is knock lot of holes in the prosecution’s case. I can’t think of one substantive finding presenting in the podcast that makes Adnan look more guilty that what was presented at trial. But guilty or not, my guess is that, unless the Innocence Project team that was brought into the case some weeks ago gains a foothold, it won’t matter much in the end whether or not Adnan did it; he’s convicted.

Re: the rather important question of who did it, yeah, Jay is someone who’s clearly changed his story so many times that you have to wonder what’s really going on there. Too, there’s the streaker guy who found the body in a manner that doesn’t make any sense. Wasn’t there some mention of the victim’s boyfriend, Don, who supposedly had an alibi, but there were questions about its validity? Of course, it’s entirely possible the victim died at the hands of someone who never came to light, in part because the police had their guy in Adnan and didn’t pursue other leads.

Which, I suppose, would make an satisfying ending to this podcast pretty true to life. Our judicial system isn’t necessarily about finding out the truth. It’s about getting convictions, if you’re a prosecutor, acquittals or better deals if you’re a defense attorney. Perhaps it’s true that in a great many cases the end result is that justice is done, the right person goes to jail or is acquitted. It’s a comforting belief. But one that’s less easy to cling to after hearing this podcast.

surber17
    Participant

What did everyone think of the ending?

OneBagTravel
    Participant

It’s what I expected. I did like how they touched again on the fact that any informed juror should not have convicted him on the “evidence” given. He has to be found guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. There’s plenty of reasonable doubt for this case, we’re all swimming in it over a 12 episode postcast. The burden of proof rests on the prosecution. There’s no proof that he killed her! She said something along the lines of “even if Adnan DID kill her, he shouldn’t be in prison because there’s no proof he did it”.

AmyD
    Participant

I am eager to hear the results of the DNA test

surber17
    Participant

Same here…… It would be nuts if the serial rapist killed her and somehow jay knew…. But I doubt it

OneBagTravel
    Participant

If the DNA test proves it’s not Adnan, would this mean Jay goes to jail for perjury?????

Jesse Bethea
    Jesse Bethea
    Participant

The DNA testing and the serial killer theory is intriguing, but I can’t get away from Jay knowing where the car was. To believe Adnan is innocent you have to believe so many coincidences and extraordinary circumstances.

DouginCMH
    Participant

The DNA testing and the serial killer theory is intriguing, but I can’t get away from Jay knowing where the car was. To believe Adnan is innocent you have to believe so many coincidences and extraordinary circumstances.

I disagree. To believe he’s guilty requires at least as much mental gymnastics. The ‘bad luck’ items presented in the last podcast don’t prove he killed anyone. They imply that we don’t know the full story of what he and Jay were doing that day. But there’s no proof whatsoever that he was involved in this crime. There’s just Jay’s ever-evolving story.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below:

Support Journalism. Drink Coffee!

We’ve partnered with our friends at Stauf’s to bring you this limited-edition coffee blend celebrating 20 years of CU! Every purchase supports our mission of serving the community award-winning local journalism!

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE