Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Big Bites Opens in form Serenity Cafe Location Downtown

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Big Bites Opens in form Serenity Cafe Location Downtown

This topic contains 18 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  reelfreak 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

reelfreak
    Participant

Serenity Cafe next to the YWCA has closed. Their last day of business was last Friday.

cc

I had not been there in a while. Anyone know why they went out of business? I always thought they had a brisk lunch crowd. I hope they continue with their mission.

lakeerietransplant
    Participant

That sucks. Last I was there they made a damn good Reuben.

cbus11

I am surprised. In my opinion they had the best reuben downtown and it was less than $7. I hope it was an administrative decision as they were both socially conscious and served some good sandwiches.

berdawn

Sad news! It’s been a while since I worked downtown, but when I did, I loved going there for lunch.

futureman
    Participant

Restaurateur picks downtown for first venture Big Bites
    Date: Wednesday, September 7, 2011, 3:29pm EDT
    Dan Eaton
    Staff Reporter – Business First

It’s Big Bites, plural, not Big Bite.

Local restaurant historians may see a familiar name in Enyo Hasanaj’s new downtown restaurant, but his lunch and breakfast stop isn’t a resurrection of a short-lived fast food pita sandwich chain that had at least six Columbus area locations in the early 1980s.

In fact, the upstart restaurateur wasn’t even born by the time Big Bite went out of business.

“I’ve already had a couple of people ask me about it,” 21-year-old Hasanaj said.

He opened Tuesday at 79 S. Fourth St., which for the past 11 years was Serenity Café.

READ MORE:
    http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/blog/2011/09/restaurateur-picks-downtown-for-first.html

BreakfastwithNick
    BreakfastwithNick
    Participant

Anyone have a phone number for the business?

bldng4jstc
    Participant

Enjoyed Breakfast there this morning. They do have a Facebook page and are working on getting an online presence. I ordered the BLT Wrap with home fries for $4.49 and it was really good for the price. It wasn’t greasy and everything seemed fresh. Service was great and friendly. Lunch supposedly starts at 11, but two people ordered from the lunch menu while I as there at 8am. Breakfast is served all day. Prepared for Take-out or dine in. Nothing to drive in from the burbs about but worth a stop if in the neighborhood. Ample meters on both State and 4th. No comment on quality of lunch.

Current Menu – Hand-out Version (front):
    [/url]
    Big_Bite_Menu_Front[/url] by Bldng4jstc[/url]
    (back – sorry for the fuzziness)
    [/url]
    Big_Bite_Menu_Back[/url] by Bldng4jstc[/url]

reelfreak
    Participant

futureman said:
    Restaurateur picks downtown for first venture Big Bites
    Date: Wednesday, September 7, 2011, 3:29pm EDT
    Dan Eaton
    Staff Reporter – Business First

It’s Big Bites, plural, not Big Bite.

Don’t believe everything you read, it is indeed Big Bite. I was surprised Business First repeatedly referred to them as Big Bites.

We had lunch there on Monday. Hamburgers are HUGE half pounders, almost too much for lunch really. Pretty good, but they cooked my burger the way my wife wanted hers and hers the way I wanted mine. That’s forgivable on the first day of business and I’m sure I’ll be back to try something else. Unlike Serenity’s counter service, Big Bite takes your order from the table.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

The name is awful.

reelfreak
    Participant

We’ve been back twice since my last post. The second visit was on the Tuesday that the Dispatch profiled them and the third visit was yesterday. Still enjoying the food and prices, but they’ve got to figure out how to serve a full dining room during lunch. I wanted badly to talk with the owner/cook, but he was busy cooking, and answering the phone. If they are going to continue to be full service, they need more than one server to wait all the tables and handle the carry out orders. Maybe someone didn’t show up for work yesterday, but we spent a full hour start to finish. I am not knocking the server; he was doing the best he could, but he cannot be expected to do this day after day. I can’t imagine customers will put up with that for long. We heard at least two people ask when their food was coming, so they may need some help in the kitchen as well. I hope they get everything worked out.

ColumbusTime
    ColumbusTime
    Participant

The name is awful, I agree. Sad to see Serenity left. I haven’t worked downtown in years but I used to eat there 2-3 times a week. Good food, good mission.

I’ll have to make a trip to check out Big Bites. Also, that carryout/deli on the corner has some great sandwiches as well.

BreakfastwithNick
    BreakfastwithNick
    Participant

Just curious if anyone has been here recently. Are they still going strong? FB page seems pretty dormant.

johnwashere
    Participant

BreakfastwithNick said:
    Just curious if anyone has been here recently. Are they still going strong? FB page seems pretty dormant.

I walked by a couple weeks ago and saw some people eating inside. I ate here right when it opened and just figured it will close soon. Its not the best location and the food wasn’t anything special.

BreakfastwithNick
    BreakfastwithNick
    Participant

Cool, thanks, johnwashere. I called this morning, too, and they were definitely up and running.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: