Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Sell me on your neighborhood!

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Sell me on your neighborhood!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author

ohbonobogirl
    Participant

My landlord is raising rent and DH and I are thinking about settling down more and buying a home instead of continuing to pay rent. The question is where?

-We’re poor (used loosely) young professionals who can afford up to ~$130,000ish for a home but would prefer the $60-80k range.

-Columbus-ites all our lives, with DH growing up in Clintonville and me growing up on the North side.

-We definitely want to stay inside of I-270.

-A house with some character would be ideal, but we’re not looking for all original woodwork, fixtures, etc. That being said, we can’t necessarily afford an entire overhaul, either.

So far, I’m really liking what I see in Kenmore Park (Cleveland Ave. and N. Broadway) and Eastgate (Nelson and Long), but I feel like there have to be more neighborhoods like this scattered around that I’m missing. Ideally, it’d be within a mile or two of a park/bike path, grocery store, gas station. I’d like to not feel threatened when I’m running at 5:30 am and I’d prefer that we don’t have to worry unduly much about the house getting broken into. Diversity of age, gender, ethnicity, etc. is a huge plus, too.

So…does your neighborhood fit the bill?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Old(e) North(e) Columbus(e).

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

I live in the Short North

last Monday I went to exit the building via the rear fire escape and found that somebody’d puked Four Loko all over the steps.

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

I live in the Short North.

Monday three weeks ago I went to exit the building via the front door, and a shoeless man carrying a pair of Air Jordans stopped me to ask whether I thought LeBron James was better than Michael.

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

Two months ago I watched a woman give a handjob to a man in a car parked behind my apartment building, and then toss the rubber out of the car window.

I live in the Short North.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Westgate would be on your higher end and my neighborhood-Highland West-would be on the lower (your ideal). I’m in contract for a decent little bachelor pad at $50k and there is some good housing stock scattered throughout. Neighborhood varies street by street, so do your homework. Or get lucky, which was my case. If you go north of Broad, you can get a decent place around the park. I won’t comment on safety, as it’s really subjective. There are a number of women posting here who live in and around Westgate and the general westside area (Twix, misskitty?) that can comment better.

Decent little gems tucked here and there for food but there’s still a long way to go. Great if you’re in for the long haul and willing to take a gamble.

SusanB
    Participant

Merion Village or even cheaper- Hungarian Village. Old houses (1910-1920) oak floors, but a manageable size- 1100 sq ft or so. Huge LGBT presence, The Explorers Club, and an active community group. Here’s a nice one:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/335-E-Hinman-Ave_Columbus_OH_43207_M36869-08787?source=web

somebuckeye
    somebuckeye
    Participant

A terrific home in Franklinton will cost under 100k usually. http://www.franklinton.org/edwards-homes.html These homes are right around 100k, but there are income limits on buying them. Talk to Jim Sweeney at the FDA, or check out Go West! next to Tommy’s diner on Sat. Fton is one of the most affordable inner-city neighborhoods in Columbus, and really convenient to downtown, the arena district, Grandview Heights, OSU (via 315 or the Olentangy trail)freeway access and German Village with the excellent Kroger. Also, if you garden, Fton has the best soil in Central Ohio.

That being said, we were not able to find a home we wanted to purchase in the neighborhood. They were too small, or too rough shape, or we didn’t qualify for certain homes which led us to other neighborhoods. We settled on Franklin Park and I absolutely love it! It’s not as convenient to things as Fton, the Kroger is not as good, and it’s a bit more expensive, but I love my house and living in a historic neighborhood.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

I think you already picked your winner. For the precise combination of things you’re looking for, Eastgate is it. Gas Station, grocery store, bike path, quiet and safe (with the exception of the section directly adjacent to the housing development) decent housing stock, ethnic diversity and dramatically underpriced.

Now if you had said you were looking for the vitality of a real urban neighborhood close to downtown, I would have tried to sell you on my area, the King Lincoln District. If you wanted to get in on the ground floor of tomorrow’s trendy neighborhood for rock bottom prices, I would have pointed you to Susan’s Hungarian Village. If you wanted to be part of a exciting new arts community, Franklinton. But for what you want, there really AREN’T a whole lot of neighborhoods like Eastgate floating around.

cheap

buy 5 acres,a goat,and an airstream and live it large in Morrow county

green acres,baby

ohbonobogirl
    Participant

Thanks, everyone! You’ve given me lots to think about. I guess I haven’t spent enough time in the bright spots of neighborhoods like Franklinton, Hungarian Village and Highland West. Through my job I spend a lot of time out in the community, but it tends to be in the areas that need extra attention rather than the ones that are developing nicely. DH and I are going to have plenty of field trips to keep us busy in the near future. We did walk around Franklin Park and Woodland Park yesterday evening while checking out Eastgate, too. We’ll need to spend some more time at different times of day getting a feel for the area. There are a couple of great-looking places.

Keep the info coming, if you don’t mind. I really, really appreciate it.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

I guess I’ll plug my new home of Olentangy West as beating everyone else out on diversity, particularly the Riverview area (Olentangy River Road corridor). If you’re into mid century modern, there are some houses that have great potential. I live on the west side of 315, which is nice too, but a bit more than you’re willing to spend unfortunately.

Map if you’re not familiar with the area: http://development.columbus.gov/uploadedFiles/Development/Planning_Division/Current_Planning_Initiatives/Parking_Code/OWest-SubAreas.pdf

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

Someone is smoking marijuana outside of my apartment and the smell is strong enough that I’m afraid I’m going to reek of pot come Monday morning.

#shortnorthliving

bucki12

I think my current neighborhood, WP, has awesome potential and some really nice ground floor deals on an up and coming area. It is also located within walking distance to nearly everything. Unfortunately, crime is still a problem and I would not be jogging alone at 5:30 am.

I have some friends in Westgate and they really like it. The Kroger on West Broad is not the greatest but it isn’t far. It is a very reasonably priced family friendly stable neighborhood, though it lacks the potential rise in property value of a place like WP.

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

oh never mind the fire fighters are here to solve the problem

anyway yeah just move anywhere and commute to the short north on the weekends, it’s probably awesome

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: