Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Select areas of Columbus now available in high-res on Google Street View

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Select areas of Columbus now available in high-res on Google Street View

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author

Analogue Kid
    Participant

Was just browsing around today and noticed that intersections (and apparently only intersections) are now in high resolution for Columbus.

Old:

oldstreetview.jpg

New:

newstreetview.jpg

Fun times

Talcott

Wow. I can see my dad standing in my parents’ front yard now (they live on a corner).

Can anyone tell when these were taken? It looks like last spring.

I wonder if there’s a way to toggle between the new and old version. It doesn’t matter much now, but I hope they are being archived so that people will one day have nearly complete street-level views of Columbus (and other cities) from decades ago.

sixby9is42

Interesting. Most of the shots in my neighborhood are still old, and the new shots only appear at intersections.

Looking at the new shots is a bit theraputic; they were taken on a partly sunny day in the summer with green lawns and leaves on the trees.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

sixby9is42 wrote >>
    Interesting. Most of the shots in my neighborhood are still old, and the new shots only appear at intersections.
    Looking at the new shots is a bit theraputic; they were taken on a partly sunny day in the summer with green lawns and green leaves on the trees.

My guess is they’re currently doing a review of the mid block shots to blur people and stuff but they wanted to get it out part way early instead of waiting a long time for a final release. At least that’s Google’s usual course of action.

Patch
    Participant

Talcott wrote >>
    Wow. I can see my dad standing in my parents’ front yard now (they live on a corner).

Just out of curiosity, did they blur his face?

Talcott

Patch wrote >>

Talcott wrote >>

Just out of curiosity, did they blur his face?

His back is to the camera ;-)

anillo
    Participant

Analogue Kid
    Participant

Analogue Kid
    Participant

Bump for insomniacs

Tenzo
    Participant

I remember seeing the pictures where some city objected to being google-mapped. People dressed up in diving gear and chased the vans around with tridents.

Here is is: LINK

GW_Justice
    Participant

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&hq=&layer=c&cbll=39.981638,-83.040171&panoid=lnAmhCAIDL0dYoHdSA7agA&cbp=12,233.29,,0,1.57&source=embed&ll=39.981642,-83.040311&spn=0,359.981439&z=16

Move away from the corner and the house re-constructs itself.

Given the progress on the house and the green color of the tree leaves, I’m guessing the new GS were done May or June last year.

Edit: Hmm, the code for embedding the photo doesn’t work, but the link does.

tourist19
    Participant

GW_Justice wrote >>

Given the progress on the house and the green color of the tree leaves, I’m guessing the new GS were done May or June last year.

That was my guess too based on the photos of my neighborhood. There was some major landscape work being done on a house up the street that is in the pictures and a bike that appeared last spring/summer is chained to the bike rack.

Lakee911
    Participant

Sweet. I live on an intersection (just a T, not a cross) and it’s in high res. Too bad half the pic is my bushes.

Appears to be from summer and its before August because my garage isn’t built or even started yet. It’s either a weekend or late afternoon because my car is there. Probably late June or early July as the neighbors have up their Fourth of July decore.

All this sunshine and green makes me long for Spring… *sigh*

Thory
    Participant

Tenzo wrote >>
    I remember seeing the pictures where some city objected to being google-mapped. People dressed up in diving gear and chased the vans around with tridents.

I like how you can move down the street, see them chilling on lawn-chairs, then they spot the car and start chasing.

Patch
    Participant

Thory wrote >>

Tenzo wrote >>

I like how you can move down the street, see them chilling on lawn-chairs, then they spot the car and start chasing.

Thank you for this, i went back and followed the whole “slideshow”.

HILARIOUS BEYOND WORDS.

I really want to do something like this.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.