Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Seeking Interview Questions - Mayoral Candidate Earl W. Smith

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Seeking Interview Questions – Mayoral Candidate Earl W. Smith

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

We just posted up GOP Mayoral Candidate Earl W. Smith’s reaction to Mayor Coleman’s 2011 State of the City Address:

Earl W. Smith’s State of the City 2011

This is sort of last minute, but I’m scheduling an interview with Earl tomorrow, and I’m looking for your questions. The focus will be upon his platform, his ideas, the issues he feels are important and his solutions to the problems that Columbus faces.

As always, serious questions only, please.

Submit away!

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

I think the usual round of questions regarding his views on alternate transportation, support for COTA/transit and the continuation of the Bikeways Plan.

catnfiddle
    Participant

How would he handle working with what will be a heavy majority (most likely unanimous) Democrat City Council?

ScottUlrich
    Participant

Why does he want to be mayor?

What Columbus neighborhood does he live in / has he lived in? What does he like/dislike about that/those neighborhood(s)?

What is his educational background? Has there been any element or focus on public policy within his studies?

What local organizations, boards, or committees has he been involved in? Has he held leadership positions in any of those capacities?

How else has he been ENGAGED with Columbus community/public affairs? (being a police officer doesn’t count)

Has he ever ridden a COTA bus by choice? Has he ever biked as a form of transportation (not recreation)?

Does he believe his background as a police officer has given him an adversarial or pragmatic perspective when facing a problem? Explain.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

Will the candidate have any specific focuses in regards to urban development? How will he encourage more residents to move downtown and in our inner city neighborhoods, and what tools will he use to encourage new development?

What is his favorite festival that he has attended or attends regularly?

How will he use his position to foster the arts community in Columbus, and build upon things such as the recently announced “creative class” investments in Franklinton?

Columbus has a thriving and nationally recognized GLBT community, how will he continue to promote diversity and inclusiveness in the city? Does he support the council and mayors recent extension domestic partnership benefits?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Thanks everyone! Keep em coming! Will be taking questions until Noon-ish.

Andrew Hall

The crime thing. Pin him down about the overall trend has been steadily downward during the Coleman years (reflecting national trends). Yes, last year was a spike in homicides but professionals know better than to react to single instances and focus on trends.

Why is it necessary to create a campaign of fear in an (likely failing) attempt to get elected? Why damage the image of the city which is exactly what this does? Why not make a positive case that we can do better w/o the destructive need to portray the current as awful?

I am not fan of Coleman. I would love an alternative. But I will not ever vote this type of crap.

A.

berdawn

Is this the guy whose ad was sooooo awful last year???

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

berdawn wrote >>

I think you’re thinking of Bill Todd from 4 years ago?

Bill Todd’s New Radio Ad Features Rape SFX

berdawn

Walker wrote >>

berdawn wrote >>

I think you’re thinking of Bill Todd from 4 years ago?
    https://www.columbusunderground.com/bill-todd-s-new-radio-ad-features-rape-sfx

I was. thanks, Walker!

OSUPhantom

I have two:

What kind of relationship do you think the city of Columbus and The Ohio State University will and should have going forward.

~and~

What innovative steps can be taken to improve life in neighborhoods like Franklinton and Weinland Park?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Sorry, conducted this interview yesterday afternoon, so didn’t get those last two questions OSUPhantom. Though I think everyone will be able with the breadth of the interview. Spoke for nearly 90 minutes about all sorts of things. Hope to have it up next week.

Thanks again, everyone!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Urban Living Tour returns (with strict safety guidelines) on Aug 30!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS