Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Seeking Interview Questions - Jeff Edwards

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Seeking Interview Questions – Jeff Edwards

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author

roy
    Participant

Urban Dansigner wrote >>
    Any possibility of developing something similar to Neighborhood Launch around the Deaf School Park? The East and North Boundaries of the park seem ideally suited for this building type.

Motorists Insurance (having demolished historic structures to create an ugly asphalt lot) knows their northern surface parking lot is valuable, and they intend to sit on it until prices go up. There’s a plan to develop the actual Deaf School building into residential but I see no activity.

gk

roy wrote >>
    I’d be interested in Mr. Edwards’ opinion of the Downtown Commission.
    Only one Downtown Commission member actually lives downtown, and many downtown residents don’t believe they have genuine representation.

I know of at least two members who live downtown: Jana Maniace and Danni Palmore. Other members own downtown property.

Urban Dansigner
    Participant

Yeah Motorist! [snark]

Why parking structures where not required when skyscrapers went in Downtown is beyond me???? Nationwide seems to be the only corporate entity that actually addressed parking issues for their employees.

The Deaf School project seems to be moth balled for the moment.

roy
    Participant

gk wrote >>

roy wrote >>
    Only one Downtown Commission member actually lives downtown, and many downtown residents don’t believe they have genuine representation.

I know of at least two members who live downtown: Jana Maniace and Danni Palmore. Other members own downtown property.

Ya know, you may be right, if Danni moved from that sweet crib on Parsons. Good for her, I like Danni.

Mr. and Mrs. Maniace of the Waterford have been trading back and forth the sole codified “Downtown Resident” seat on the Downtown Commission since the Commission was created in the mid 1990s. Many agree it’s time for a change.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

roy wrote >>

Many agree it’s time for a change.

Ward system? :-)

gk

roy wrote >>

gk wrote >>

roy wrote >>

Ya know, you may be right, if Danni moved from that sweet crib on Parsons. Good for her, I like Danni.
    Mr. and Mrs. Maniace of the Waterford have been trading back and forth the sole codified “Downtown Resident” seat on the Downtown Commission since the Commission was created in the mid 1990s. Many agree it’s time for a change.

Here’s the municipal code that sets out the requirements for members serving on the Downtown Commission as enacted by the Columbus City Council,

3359.27 – Downtown commission.

The downtown commission shall concern itself with the development of the downtown, compliance with the purpose and intent of the downtown district, and the implementation of downtown plans and vision for downtown. The actions and decisions of the downtown commission shall be governed by the principals for downtown development as stated in Section 3359.01, Purpose.

(A)
    Creation, Membership, and Terms. The downtown commission is created consisting of up to nine (9) members. All members shall work or reside downtown or have substantial involvement in downtown business, planning or development activities. At least one (1) member shall reside downtown. Each member shall be appointed by the mayor, and serve staggered terms. One (1) member shall be appointed for an initial term of one (1) year; three (3) members shall be appointed for an initial term of two (2) years; three (3) members shall be appointed for an initial term of three (3) years; and two (2) members shall be appointed for an initial term of four (4) years. All subsequent terms shall be for a period of four (4) years. There shall be no restriction on the serving of multiple terms. Appointments shall be made so as to include on the commission at all times at least one (1) member engaged as a developer or realtor with experience in the sale or management of downtown properties; one (1) member who is an architect or landscape architect with experience in downtown scale projects; one (1) member who is a professional with historic resources rehabilitation experience; and, one (1) member who is a lawyer with land use law experience. A member of the commission may be removed from service for missing four (4) consecutive meetings or a total of five (5) meetings in one (1) calendar year. Members shall not be paid for commission service.

I think Jana Maniace as an accomplished architect with NBBJ and a longtime downtown resident since 1989 does an excellent job representing downtown residents. She grew up in NYC and has a real appreciation for urban living.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Any other questions for Jeff?

Perhaps a whole separate topic/interview/discussion should be started for the Downtown Commission?

roy
    Participant

michaelcoyote wrote >>

roy wrote >>
    Many agree it’s time for a change.

Ward system? :-)

The ACs provide a pretty good neighborhood ‘ward’ system, they’re locally elected so they’re accountable to those they represent. ACs can be messy, but that’s the beauty of democracy!

Columbus is governed by the City Charter, our local constitution. The Charter can be changed only by a vote of the people, and any registered Columbus voter may pursue an initiative petition. The fact that no one has done so seems to indicate that despite occasional bitching, people are satisfied to avoid the turf wars common in districted city councils.

somertimeoh
    Participant

When was this created? Is it possible that the make up of the commission no longer accurately reflects the needs and goals of downtown? Residents seem to be grossly under-represented. If your (generic “your” not anyone specific) interest in downtown ends at 5pm then I question that member’s ability to fully serve the interests of those living downtown.

ETA: Sorry Walker, I’d never seen that before :(

roy
    Participant

gk wrote >>
    I think Jana Maniace…does an excellent job representing downtown residents.

I suppose if she lived in my building, I might agree.

Back on topic, sorry Walker.

Columbusite

Actually, I do have a question about the retail spot. In the video 3/4s in they show a possible cafe, but there are already plenty of those just down the street (actually, that retail building is supposed to be included in the stretch they are building now). I’m guessing they’re just using that as an example, but have they gotten any interested entrepreneurs to open something non-cafe related there? That is, if they are still going to build it. It’s not like there aren’t plenty of storefronts on Long which could use some loving, especially the two right next to B1 Bicycles.

surber17
    Participant

1. Any changes to the original plans? (timeline/building plans)

2. Any news on improvements to the other side of Gay Street? Right now its bare

3. How are sales going?

roy
    Participant

Lifestyles pays for all the Gay Street foliage and maintenance from Young to Cleveland, and the Crossroads SID takes care of the rest.

This was a smart (and generous) plan and I hope you tell Jeff how much it is appreciated. Public/private partnerships are what has made Gay Street so successful.

LBOWACC

How much money are you worth? I don’t know, but I am really curious as to how much these larger local developers make. Is he worth maybe 5 million, or are we talking in the 20 million range.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Doh. This just got rescheduled. Will keep you all posted.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE