Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Seedy motels on South High

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Seedy motels on South High

This topic contains 20 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  GeeDee 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

MHJ
    Participant

Is the city doing anything about the string of seedy motels on South High between Whittier and Greenlawn? As a Brewery District resident I feel they are inhibiting the improvement of the area and depressing property values. It would be great if such prime real estate could be put to higher use.

Does anyone know who owns these properties?

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

…so how does that work exactly, someone just decides that the business isn’t cool enough and closes it down?

Graybeak
    Participant

It’s not like it’s motel one.

GCrites80s
    Participant

Motel One is a lot different in Europe. I wonder how many Europeans have booked our Motel One and gotten a bit of a surprise.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Is the city doing anything about the string of seedy motels on South High between Whittier and Greenlawn?

How seedy are they? They’ve always looked old (in need of renovation) to me, but I’ve never noticed any sort of blatantly obvious undesirable activity around them.

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

If anything it gives people a cheaper option to staying close to downtown. I have never seen or heard of anything bad going on around these hotels.

mfl243
    Participant

And, for all I know, some of the people staying in these places are more-or-less permanent (not transient) residents,…i.e., housing for the low-income. Is that what makes these hotels undesirable?

Eugene_C
    Participant

If anything it gives people a cheaper option to staying close to downtown. I have never seen or heard of anything bad going on around these hotels.

That’s the key. If they are attracting crime, then they can be handled as a nuisance.

MHJ
    Participant

…so how does that work exactly, someone just decides that the business isn’t cool enough and closes it down?

Cities have been known to purchase properties for redevelopment.

Also, if there is a lot of crime in these motels, they can be considered a public nuisance and shut down.

tonloc620
    Participant

Believe it or not I know that a lot of politicians stay at these hotels because they are inexpensive and close to the state house. I think you would be surprised by the clientele. Sit out front and watch how goes in and out.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

That’s the key. If they are attracting crime, then they can be handled as a nuisance.

Yeah, but are they?

spfld_expat
    spfld_expat
    Participant

You can check out Columbus crime maps here:

http://www.raidsonline.com/

Its a fascinating and slightly terrifying way to blow an afternoon.

Anyway, the motels don’t seem to be wretched hives of scum and villainy.

MHJ
    Participant

You can check out Columbus crime maps here:

<p url2image_parsed=”1″>http://www.raidsonline.com/

<p url2image_parsed=”1″>Its a fascinating and slightly terrifying way to blow an afternoon.

<p url2image_parsed=”1″>Anyway, the motels don’t seem to be wretched hives of scum and villainy.

You’re right they don’t. I’m surprised by that. My impression was that there is a lot of sex work in those hotels. Maybe not.

Graybeak
    Participant

You’re right they don’t. I’m surprised by that. My impression was that there is a lot of sex work in those hotels. Maybe not.

Someone did say there were lots of politicians in there.

ricospaz
    Participant

The one by Gressos rents by the hour. for reals

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

subscribe_email Get Columbus News Updates in Your Inbox!

Stay in the know! Enter your email address to subscribe to the latest news: