Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Second Largest Home in Columbus Planned for German Village

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Second Largest Home in Columbus Planned for German Village

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

BZA OKs variances for Mohawk property
    By GARY SEMAN JR.
    ThisWeek Community News
    Monday September 2, 2013 10:13 PM

Bob and Peggy Walter are one step closer to building a massive single-family house in German Village. The Columbus Board of Zoning Adjustment on Aug. 27 approved three separate variances that would allow the couple to convert an existing non-conforming office to a single-family residence at 673 Mohawk St.

READ MORE: http://www.thisweeknews.com/content/stories/germanvillage/news/2013/09/01/bza-oks-variances-for-mohawk-property.html

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

I had a temp job in that building, with a desktop publishing company. It was office space but it had been residential before – there still was an unused sauna room. Work stations were scattered among various rooms, not a typical office layout.

News
    Participant

Dec 24, 2013, 10:27am EST
    U.S. Bank vacating future Bob Walter home in German Village
    Evan Weese
    Staff reporter – Business First

U.S. Bank will relinquish its German Village branch this spring, making way for Cardinal Health founder Bob Walter to renovate the space for his future home. The bank will relocate its branch at 673 Mohawk St. to 780 S. High St., just a half-mile away, said spokesman Pat Swanson.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2013/12/24/us-bank-vacating-future-bob-walter.html

woofman
    Participant

rory said:
    skateboarding

Haha, my thoughts exactly. I’ve always dreamed of an in-house mini-ramp.

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

I stepped outside and noticed they’re getting ready to lift off the mega AC units on the roof today…

Geno99
    Participant

I think it’s a sign of the times when wealthy people build large houses downtown again for the first time in like a century. It’s like the 1890s all over again. More power to him. Hopefully he hires some local residents on staff.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Construction is still chugging along. Here’s a new photo from yesterday:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/construction-roundup-november-2014-part-1

OneBagTravel
    Participant

That’s cool. As long as they don’t demolish the building or that the owners turn out to be Todd and Margo.

gramarye
    Participant

I wonder how the neighbors who were protesting it a year or more ago would have reacted if the plan was instead to do ten 1300-sf units rather than one 13,000-sf one.

Regardless, it looks like they’re doing a pretty good job with the place. Stately enough. I share Core’s sentiments regarding the optimal level of space (I honestly miss my old 1000-sf apartment with no yard to take care of), but if people think they’re going to actually get use out of 13,000, well, I say go for it.

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

Word on the street is that renovations costs have skyrocketed to somewhere around $14 million. Glad the owners stuck with it and as unexpected issues were discovered they didn’t just throw in the towel but wow, what a huge cost.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

I wonder how the neighbors who were protesting it a year or more ago would have reacted if the plan was instead to do ten 1300-sf units rather than one 13,000-sf one.

Exactly. What if it was just another mixed use copy/paste building that seems to be all the rage across Columbus now? I don’t get the hate for what they’re doing. Sure it’s excessive but eccentric shit is the right of all wealthy people.

James
    Participant

Something tells me Mr. Walter can afford the cost overruns by selling a teeny little piece of his Cardinal Health holdings.

I think its a great thing that one of Ohio’s wealthiest individuals is planning to live in a ‘real’ neighborhood that anybody can drive or walk through. He’ll be 1/4 mile from people on the polar opposite end of the financial spectrum.

This is far healthier for us than him purchasing a secluded estate in some isolated, gated community.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION