Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Scioto Mile - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Scioto Mile – News & Updates

Viewing 10 posts - 496 through 505 (of 505 total)
  • Author

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Actually the river is very kayak-able right now. You could put in at Greenlawn and paddle up as far as the Main St. dam. Removing the Main St. dam will connect the Greenlawn pool with downtown; you could paddle up to the next dam at the Dublin Rd. water plant, or up the Olentangy to the 5th Ave. dam (if the water is deep enough).

I’m surprised I don’t see more canoes and kayaks around town, there are some really sweet waterways even within 270.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Went to Milstone for dinner last night before Back to the Garden. It was a madhouse. We had a window seat and I witnessed the staff tending to wandering wet kids probably half a dozen times. They looked pretty annoyed. Don’t get me wrong. It was great to see such activity at the fountain and I wasn’t complaining, nor was my date. Just an observation.

Btw, The Three Little Pigs is awesome.

misskitty
    Participant

I finally gave in today and put the window units in. I don’t think it can cool quickly enough so a trip to the park is in order today I can’t wait.

News
    Participant

Behind the magic of the Bicentennial Park fountain
    By JoAnne Viviano
    The Columbus Dispatch
    Tuesday May 29, 2012 5:01 AM

After more than 30 years as an architect, Keith Myers knows the magnetic power of water. He wasn’t surprised when the interactive fountain at Bicentennial Park drew crowds after it was unveiled last July. But he never imagined such a steady stream of families, with beach blankets, coolers and lawn chairs in tow, intent on having fun in the sun Downtown.

“I have to admit, it’s been a bigger hit than I expected it to be,” Myers said. “I think last summer surprised all of us.”

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/05/29/working-the-water.html

News
    Participant

Arts fest showed Scioto Mile at its best
    Tuesday June 5, 2012 7:21 AM

The Scioto Mile opened last summer, but I consider last weekend’s Columbus Arts Festival its real debut. The festival returned to the renovated riverfront after four years in the Discovery District (the area around the Columbus Museum of Art.) It was probably the Mile’s highest profile event since it opened last year shortly after Red, White & Boom.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/life_and_entertainment/2012/06/05/arts-fest-showed-scioto-mile-at-its-best.html

heresthecasey
    Participant

Whatever happened to the boat rental idea?

Last summer it seemed like it was a pretty likely thing, with potential companies interested and prices being tossed around… but then this year, nothing?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

FOUNTAINSIDE | 2012 SCHEDULE

Splish-Splash into summer! Join us for FountainSide presented by Sunny 95 (94.7FM) for a variety of FREE children’s activities. This delightful Columbus Recreation and Parks Department series offers water play and fountain fun at the 15,000 square-foot interactive fountain in Bicentennial Park on select Wednesdays throughout the summer from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m (see below for details). An array of themed activities, games, arts and crafts await—get ready to hop into summer with our favorite fountain friends, sail away with some seafaring pirates, jump overboard into an underwater story and more! Don’t forget to stop by the Sunny 95/Meijer Treat Truck to cool down with a tasty ice cream treat all summer long!

MORE: http://www.sciotomile.com/events/fountainside/

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

heresthecasey said:
    Whatever happened to the boat rental idea?

Last summer it seemed like it was a pretty likely thing, with potential companies interested and prices being tossed around… but then this year, nothing?

I’ve mentioned elsewhere, the 1995 watershed management plan envisioned a canoe livery concession below Griggs, with a canoe trail to downtown – it never happened (yet) but how cool would that be?

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

alexs said:
    I’ve mentioned elsewhere, the 1995 watershed management plan envisioned a canoe livery concession below Griggs, with a canoe trail to downtown – it never happened (yet) but how cool would that be?

geoyui
    Participant

15 of the world’s most spectacular fountains

The scioto mile made this list. The photo is ok, but I’ve seen better (especially when they turn on the lighting effects).

Covering 1,393 square meters (15,000 square feet), the Scioto Mile Fountain features five stainless-steel halo structures with 1,100 fog nozzles and a central halo from which water is shot 22 meters (75 feet) into the air. The fountain operates only from April to October, and relies on an underground reservoir that can hold up to 416,395 liters (10,000 gallons) of water.

Viewing 10 posts - 496 through 505 (of 505 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE