Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Scioto Mile - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Scioto Mile – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 505 total)
  • Author

Rockmastermike
    Participant

columbusmike said:
    Wow, nice dig! That certainly looks much more appealing (visually) than the proposed sculpture for the Scioto Mile. It’s simple and doesn’t resemble a damn cooling tower.

the funny thing is thats how some actual cooling towers are constructed. Straight beams at an angle to make the overall shape (then other stuff added of course, like the concrete), as opposed to the way the proposed scioto sculpture uses bent beams in the frame. In this case the artist simply angled the beams differently.

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

mbhays said:
    The latest version of the tower looks too much like the work of the sculptor Rita McBride.

My moms grows gourds on one of those things. Isn’t that also the shape of the new planters on Buttles @High in the SN?

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

mrpoppinzs said:
    I remember this from some survey course I took. Pretty cool.

It will be great to have more public art in Columbus.

Love me some Tatlin, way back when commie art/architecture was inspiring…maybe that was why it was never built?

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

Rockmastermike
    Participant

lazyfish said:

That looks like an awesome waterslide!

News
    Participant

SCIOTO MILE SHAPING UP TO BE THE PLACE TO SHAPE UP
    03/28/2012

While fitness might not be the first thing that comes to mind when you think of the Scioto Mile, it is shaping up to be a popular place for people to get in shape as well. There are 22 runs, walks, and bike rides currently scheduled to take place along the Mile this year. These fitness events represent a variety of causes, organizations, and levels of intensity—the calendar includes everything from the Central Ohio Diabetes Family Fun Walk & Run to the Giant Eagle MultiSport Festival, which includes a triathlon. Also this year the Scioto Mile will serve as the new start line for the Capital City Half Marathon and will be the location for the Inaugural Scioto Mile(s) training series.

READ MORE: http://www.sciotomile.com/scioto-mile-shaping-up-to-be-the-place-to-shape-up/

Eliza Ho
    Participant

A new article on Columbus Monthly on the proposed “Columbiad”

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Philanthropy Friday: Bicentennial Towers
    By: The Columbus Foundation

Four unique 1,000-pound sculptures have been installed on the previously empty pedestals or plinths of the Broad Street Bridge, on the west edge of downtown Columbus.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/philanthropy-friday-bicentennial-towers

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

columbusmike
    Participant

What a terrific video … I hope people take the time to view this video and appreciate what the artist and the city have done to make this happen.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Stopped by today with the kids to let them splash and play. Had a really great time, as did half the city, if my headcount was correct. ;)

Anyway, just wanted to reiterate how much I love having this amenity in the heart of Downtown. This is public space done right.

Pickerington_Kyle
    Participant

I was there last weekend around 10 pm and Milestone 229 was PACKED, some kids running around the fountains and alot of people walking on the bridges.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Yeah, we were just at Milestone on Friday night for dinner, so this was our second trip over there this weekend. ;) Ha!

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Walker said:
    Had a really great time, as did half the city, if my headcount was correct.

The sheer number of people enjoying the city and the outdoors is wonderful.

The prospect of turning the riverfront into a destination up and down the river is heightened by the success the fountains/Milestone have had. One hopes that with the dams removed and the river narrowed, we’ll see canoeing and kayaking and more recreational use of the riverfront, with businesses and the city collaborating to create more and more unique hosts to those in our city.

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

Lets get that dam removed!!!! HAHAHA

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 505 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE